The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing Air intake (cone only)

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    19Galant97

Installing Air intake (cone only)

I was planning on installing an air intake cone today wen I realized the 4th bolt to remove the stock intake box was pysically impossible to take off.I 've done this before on my friends cars but just couldnt get this done.. I dunno if anyone has any ideas but I'm interested to here them thanx alot

__Mike___

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    do you mean the one against the strut tower? that was probably the hardest for me back in the day when i was an intake junky (so sad). got a pic of where it is? hard to tell you when i dont know which one it is.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Mindless
    I just destroyed my stock airbox to install my intake.....I mean are you really ever going to use your stock airbox again?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mindless)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just destroyed my stock airbox to install my intake.....I mean are you really ever going to use your stock airbox again?</div>

yeah, i need it to pass smog, so lame
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Mindless
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mindless)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just destroyed my stock airbox to install my intake.....I mean are you really ever going to use your stock airbox again?</div>

yeah, i need it to pass smog, so lame</div>

Damn, that sucks dude.

Experienced TGC Member
    I duno what bolt your talking about but I got everyhing out easily...maybe you dont have the right tools to fit in small spots..or your atacking it wrong. Some things on this car like headlights are a seemingly impossible puzzle, you have to remove other things to clear room to remove the part you want..etc..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Livn2sk8
    I'm confused

either your bolt is stripped, or....you aren't trying to undo the right bolt...

I have 3 on my airbox.....so...unclip it....unplug the MAS, and loosen the clamp that connects the assembly to the TB. now all you should have is 3 bolts that connect the front assembly .....one is a vertically mounted bolt...the other two, go horizonal into the fender/strut tower housing.... if I remember correctly, they are all 10mm.....you might need an extension and a ratchet...but damn....mine come off easily...they are long....might need some vice grips if they are stripped.....

everything BEFORE my clips(that hold the filter in) is gone, I chopped all that crap out...so, i don't know what's before that anymore....

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Livn2sk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I have 3 on my airbox.....so...unclip it....unplug the MAS, and loosen the clamp that connects the assembly to the TB. now all you should have is 3 bolts that connect the front assembly .....one is a vertically mounted bolt...the other two, go horizonal into the fender/strut tower housing.... if I remember correctly, they are all 10mm.....you might need an extension and a ratchet...but damn....mine come off easily...they are long....might need some vice grips if they are stripped.....</div>

Exactly.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

19Galant97
    I would have destroyed it believe me thats how frustrated I was gettin.. but there is some sort of plug that goes into the orignal box prob some part of the electrical sys. that is the reason I couldnt just destroy it..

Livn2sk8
    sorry buddy, nothin electrical in our air boxes.....what kind of car you drive again?

unless you are talking about the MAS....in which case, you need to keep, even if you do run a CAI....

Experienced TGC Member
    Wait are you talking about the 4 bolts that hold the MAS to the intake box? If so you just need a 10mm socket on a long extension..I hope thats not what your talkin about cause if you couldnt figure that one out..you shouldnt be touching your MAS!
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

ehh....I've got the stock intake from my "old" Galant. I don't have to have it because GA just does a "sniffer" test, as long as it's clean they don't care what you've done to the engine. If you end up needing it, lemme know, I'll happily get that big bag-o-plastic outta my shed.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mindless)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just destroyed my stock airbox to install my intake.....I mean are you really ever going to use your stock airbox again?</div>

HAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... hell yeah... I just ripped that shit out... I'm pretty sure that he's talking about the MAS, that was kind of a bitch to get off, but I got it off, just a little elbow grease

when is we gon be free????

19Galant97
    haha I realized I was just an idiot and that I need a toolbox filled with lots of tool for christmas haha... I had to buy the filter adapter today but the one that fits around the edge of the stock pipe has a huge diamiater for the cone ? any suggestions?

jusblaze
    Get it from ebay. You can find the filter and the the connector for like 25 bucks maybe less

jusblaze
    Get it from ebay. You can find the filter and the the connector for like 25 bucks maybe less