The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stock Muffler

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Stock Muffler

Is there any negative things that come from cutting off your rear muffler?
    Just wondering because I did this on my V6 2001 on saturday and the car has never driven better. Any comments would be great. Thanks!!

Phil

Back in the Family!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    only negative things, is on an I4, you'll loose torque and a few ponies, but on the V6s, you gain a few ponies instead. i'm sure you're loving the loud sound right now, it's addicting, just did it on my bronco. the only bad thing i know of for cutting off your muffler is cops tend to pay attention more often, and some smog places refuse to test you, even though it's nothing illegal at all, and doesn't affect your smog one bit.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Re: Stock Muffler

Can you post sound clips?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phil)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is there any negative things that come from cutting off your rear muffler?
    Just wondering because I did this on my V6 2001 on saturday and the car has never driven better. Â*Any comments would be great. Thanks!!

Phil</div>

Re: Stock Muffler

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kamilw)</div><div class='quotemain'>Can you post sound clips?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phil)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is there any negative things that come from cutting off your rear muffler?
    Just wondering because I did this on my V6 2001 on saturday and the car has never driven better. Â*Any comments would be great. Thanks!!

Phil</div></div>

I will as soon as my buddy uploads them.

Back in the Family!!

Didn't Jet Black run without a muffler for awhile too?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Didn't Jet Black run without a muffler for awhile too?</div>

yeah, he seemed to like it.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Senior TGC Member
    I ran my V6 without a muffler on the dyno. Gained a whopping 2 whp and 1 ft lbs of torque. Needless to say I stuck that baby back on.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'>I ran my V6 without a muffler on the dyno. Gained a whopping 2 whp and 1 ft lbs of torque. Needless to say I stuck that baby back on.</div>

why would you put it back on if you gained power??? sorry i guess it's just a noob question im asking.

Back in the Family!!

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    why would you put it back on if you gained power??? sorry i guess it's just a noob question im asking.
    I was being sarcastic. Having a much louder exhaust for just 2 whp is not worth it to me. Adds practically nothing.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Censee
    civics tend to do that around here since there is no emmissions testing,,,,u think civics sound horrible,,,sound worse with no muffler..

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-9
    I ran my V6 without a muffler on the dyno. Gained a whopping 2 whp and 1 ft lbs of torque. Needless to say I stuck that baby back on.
    it's not worth getting pulled over for and possibly getting a ticket. Plus, it sounds abnoxious and ugly on I4s. Not sure about the sound on V6s

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Grenbogys
    It sounds awesome on a V6, it's alot deeper and manly

Does it losses power on the 4 cyl???
    I put one, sounds good, but I did not know that it losses power. why?

Censee
    Quote Originally Posted by darylvia
    Does it losses power on the 4 cyl???
    I put one, sounds good, but I did not know that it losses power. why?
    no he meant if u take off the muffler completely