The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Im sure I could do it....

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Im sure I could do it....

Today I was doing a brake job on a 7g Galant at work, and I kept thinking about something....

The back of the oil pan is shaped so as to create a void at the back of it. That void connects to a "tunnel" where the exhaust is routed. And except for where the fuel tank inturrupts it, it than goes into a space where the rear axel assembly is simply bolted to the car (and presumably could be simply unbolted) I think that if I could get my hands on the appropriate bits, a 7g could be converted to AWD with relatively little fabrication. except for the rear axel assembly, I'm fairly sure the tranny from a GSX would take care of the tranny and the driveshaft would be a good starting point (though it would likely have to be lengthened) I just want an AWD G...Why? 'cus as far as I know I'd be the only one Bwahahaha! (If I physically FIT in a 1g DSM comfortably I'd do that...but I don't so....next best thing ya know?) I'm just curious as to wether anyone has previously thought about this? I feel I'd likely have to go to a Japanese importer to get the requisite parts, but I'm patient and have $$$.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

im looking at the underside of the black widow http://www.pbase.com/rexrafael02/image/15299981 to see how the undersdie fo the 7g looks like and what im thinking is, you think you have enough room not only to fit the exhaust but the driveshaft under there without doing any major structural work??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

wow...that's a wierd pic...but yes, there's a lot more room than there appears to be. That heat shield thingy takes up a LOT of room. Also, I'd move the exhaust out of the tunnel slightly, There should be plenty of room, just not as much ground clearance (I rarely lower my vehicles much if at all anyway...the Galant sets plenty low for me....when it's so low I can't get my hydraulic jack under it...it's low enough) I think the previous owner lowered our G....it sits way lower than the one I worked on today.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Pretty sure gsplayas car is fwd. He just did a vr4 motor swap?
    7g for life!

8ggalant
    if u cant fit a hydro jack under yer car @ stock height sumthins wrong...anyway good luck on taht....i was lookin into it when i had my 7g...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pretty sure gsplayas car is fwd. Â*He just did a vr4 motor swap?</div>

yup. all you see going down the center of black widow is that exhuast.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    I really dont think you will fit a driveshaft AND exhaust through the tunnle. There isnt realy much room at all under there, and thespace that is there is needed for things to flex and jiggle around without smashing into the frame and driving you crazy.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

I went to a jap motor wrecker a couple of months ago and i saw a 7g JDM VR4 i looked under the half cut (cause it was on one of those racks where they put the half cuts) and i saw the axle and the exhaust right next to each other... i think there was only about 1" space in between... the exhaust's cat was tilted vertically rather than horizontally... if you can find the rear suspension, axle, diff to turn it into awd would make it even easier for you...

the shop where i went to, they were selling the half cut 6a12TT with the rear diff, and other stuff that goes with it... except for the brake rotors, calipers etc... i think you can just shove the axle in the rotor or something?!?!

Don't forget about the rear diff. You will have problem with that fitting. I am sure the 7g vr4 is just like a dsm in that aspect. Awd have the bump in the hatch for the pumpkin.

I think this could be done, but not buy just bolting everything on. Lots and lots of work. I don't know about you but, my 3inch exhaust takes up exhaust area with no room for anything else.
    You can keep your looks, I'll keep my speed

the_kage
    A rwd 7g would be hella tight. especially if it was pushed by a 4g63t. Ultimate drifter.

When this clutch goes, I'm going RWD, although I get the feeling my centre diffs about to make its mind up for me. Could be fun either way . The driveshaft and exhaust DO sit alongside each other in the trans tunnel, howevertheres more than enough room for a 3inch, including resonators, to fit down there. Its a moot point anyway, since the exhaust has to duck under the driveshafts at the rear. It's been done before anyway, if thats what ya mean.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    if your worried about exhaust, just run a small 2" or so 02 back and run an external 02 dump. 02 dumps are awesome haha. I want one 8)
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    i need to see a pic. I was recently under my car welding like a nutjob putting 2.5" exhaust in and I can not see how its physically possible having a driveshaft and exhaust pipes running through the 7g tunnel.

Doesnt the driveshaft run through the center, there would defintly be no room for exhaust pipes to run alone the side then unless they were like 2" outside diameter pipes wich blows. Tried to find some pics but failed.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Well.. Maybe the trans tunnel is wider, maybe its a different floorpan - who knows. That said, when going up to a 3 inch, it sits slightly low, so but about half of it still is tucked up in the tunnel. 2.5" is fitting fine in mine - go figure..
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)