The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Manual Tranny Fluid...

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Livn2sk8

Manual Tranny Fluid...

I was reading the side of the bottle on that Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and it says you can even add it to your Tranny Fluid (Manual or Auto) Now, I have never done anything on my tranny, I just got it replaced about 2 months ago, but I didn't do it. I'm afraid of them, they intimidate me. So, is there a way to add fluid? My tranny has always been a bit notchy, and that stuff says that it will eliminate alot of that, and make it nice and smooth...so I figured, i'd give it a try...

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I would just replace the tranny fluid all together again. Put some Mobil synthetic 70w-90w or some other mid high grade gear lube. Additives should work..but know very few that actually used it.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Im using BG Synchro shift.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Grinding Trannies? Slowboyracing.com has another great solution for your unpredictable need for speed. Ten years ago the DSM crowd began to realize that most any combination of 90, 80, or 75 weight gear lubricant wouldn't keep the transmission from grinding under acceleration or heavy downshifting.

Enter BG Syncro Shift, the best gear lubricant ever made for front wheel drive transmissions! BG Syncro Shift is suitable for all import and domestic manual transmissions. It is specially formulated chemically to not only with stand the pressure of our beloved DSM trannies, but also the thermal levels that they can produce under heavy acceleration and "stop
    light to stop light leisure testing". The reason you need 3 bottles is because the DSM manual transmissions use 2.8 quarts!</div>
    7g for life!

Livn2sk8
    Although i'm very appreciate of your help guys, and very grateful...I need to know HOW to add or replace the fluid...as...I have no experience with a Tranny...

And i'll have to look into that Seth...thanks!

haha o yah. THeres a bolt on the side of the transmission towards the top. I dont know how to explain it and I cant find a picture in my service manual hah...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Service Manual)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    CHECKING FLUID LEVEL
    Transaxle/Transmission
    Check fluid level at fill hole on side of transaxle or transmission.</div>

Hah stupid service manual...
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>haha o yah. Â*THeres a bolt on the side of the transmission towards the top. Â*I dont know how to explain it and I cant find a picture in my service manual hah...
    </div>

Its hard to explain w/o actually showing you...seth is right on that. Draining the manual tranny is different from a A/T...I found it weired when I first did it. Its torqued pretty good...have fun.

Livn2sk8
    stupid question maybe....but...but if the hole is at the TOP...how do you drain it? kind of defeats the laws of gravity....

THeres one for draining and a sperate one for filling. The draining hole is of course near the bottum. THey are inline though, the drain is right under the fill.
    7g for life!

Its not really on the top if I remember correctly...but its not where you would expect it to be like a oil pan or A/T tranny pan...but it drains. If I can a pic I will post it up tonight maybe so you can get the idea.

Livn2sk8
    Gotcha...I could have checked my manual...but...I usually get better answers right here on TGC....damn...wish we all lived in the same city...could you imagine the friday night weekly get togethers? OMG....that would be awesome...hard to find a bunch of Galant owners though...in the same city...not like....say...if you owned a civic...haha....

Thanks Again, both of you!!!

haha me and moosh were talking about that one day. Have a mitsubishi town with a Galant neighborhood and DSM neighborhood and whatnot. We could have killer meets 8)
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>haha me and moosh were talking about that one day. Â*Have a mitsubishi town with a Galant neighborhood and DSM neighborhood and whatnot. Â*We could have killer meets Â*8)</div>

That would be interesting...I can imagine the highlights of living there.

-Town of the "Best backed cars in the world"
    -Mitsubishi Fuso's would be the kids school buses
    -Mitsubishi electronics would reign surpreme (TV's, DVD's, Computers, Cell phones, etc)
    -MOST daily drivers will be running 13 sec 1/4 or below
    -Spare trannies everywhere
    -Required class to take is "Evo History"
    -Emission equipment is not necessary (IE. EGR system, etc etc)
    -Warranty is a forbidden word
    -Everyone is a garage mechanic
    -Race tracks will be open 7 days a week
    -The turbo is worshipped.

Dark7GHawk
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The turbo is worshipped.</div>

Do we really need all that just to do that?

And its a shame I moved back to SLC, me and you were the only GS's in town. I think we coulda gotten a lot done fixing our cars with 2 brains on it...

Livn2sk8
    ever consider moving back to vegas? or how about hooking me up with a job in SLC?

Dark7GHawk
    Jobs up here aren't too bad to find. I personally find it to be a much better place to live.

road quality, ( and the lack of those damn pucks in the road )
    people quality ( present company excluded )
    road layout ( I live around 8300 South and 2300 West and anyone can find that without directions. )
    Movie Theaters, Restaurants, etc are all better here. At least if you don't include the buffets or the hyper-expensive places in Vegas.

That and a 2 Bedroom apartment goes for around 600 / mo. Some new homes are going for 750 or less. Thats right, a real, equity gaining, no money lost, home. That and the ricers are less affluent around here. The ones you see aren't as big mouthed, and are idiots. The car enthusiasts are among the best. Shops are a bit harder to find, but in no way of lesser quality.

Experienced TGC Member
    600 here in new york city gets you a 1 room shack with holes in the walls roaches as your roommates and you have to use the local gas station as your bathroom. There are some nice cheep apartments around but once people findem they stay there till they die.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    600 here in new york city gets you a 1 room shack with holes in the walls roaches as your roommates and you have to use the local gas station as your bathroom. There are some nice cheep apartments around but once people findem they stay there till they die.
    haha so true.

I just moved my sister into a pretty nice place in Hastings but she's paying some ridiculous amount of money for it, plus she now has to pay for a train ride into the city (she was in Brooklyn).

Experienced TGC Member
    What part of brooklyn, I live in bensonhurst..I live in a 2 family house but barely pay any rent cause my grandparents own the house and live downstairs....but now my mom bought a house is staten island (which i hope the island sinks into the water), I refuse to live in SI so im movin in with my girl in bay ridge block away from alll my bar's..yay no more drinkin n drivin =D

And no i cant stay livin with my grandparents and feedem rent cause it will start a whole war between my mom and them..long story..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    She lived in a pretty much residential area but in an apartment complex within it. It was a few blocks from Flatbush, about 5-6 blocks from that big Botanical park thing (assuming there's only one).

Sorry I couldn't give a better explanation. haha