The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: overdrive is it bad?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    stormcruiser

overdrive is it bad?

overdrive switch on our automatic shift...is it bad if I were to use it constantly? I like the way the car feel more responsive when the overdrive is on....will it ruin gear or anything?

Experienced TGC Member
    It's not bad to use it all the time, I do.

I think you meant the car is more responsive with O/D OFF right? Cause if you like it when it's on, just leave it on.

It is bad to be going like 90mph and then turn O/D OFF though LOL
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

stormcruiser
    yeah I realized when I go like 90mph and and turn it off...it goes to 3 gear system and get a massive gear brake...haha....

Ok...so it is safe to turn it off all the time....good....It won't use more fuel would it?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Technically it would use more gas after you get into 3rd gear or so b/c it runs higher rpms in 3rd and if you use it, it will shift to 4th and it will run lower rpms hence saving gas

i dont know how much more gas it really takes, but it takes some more
    7g for life!

BEAST
    I just leave mine on all the time. You don't really have to mess with it. Turning it on and off all the time won't be good on your transmission anyway. All it is, is like shifting from 1st to 2nd. Except you are shifting from 3rd to 4th. It is hard on your transmission to do manually. If you think about it, you should just leave it on because you have an automatic. It does everything it is supposed to on its own. If it needs to shift down into 3rd, it will. When you're in 4th at a high speed it is easier on your engine, tranny, and will save you gas.

Dracas
    Using Overdrive is good for highway use if you're not competing, frankly its almost exactly the same method that Acura uses for their 2g Acura Integras except instead of using a switch like Mitsu. they use a button to remove the Gearing/rpm limits (I intend to change it over to a button, since I got use to driving the Acura)

I drive switching in and out of Overdrive frequently because of all the mountains out here in Southern CA, if you need to speed up quickly, gunning the engine to WOT in Overdrive puts a LOT OF STRESS on the transmission and eventually will wear it down, the same applies if you're trying to accelerate uphill with OD on, you'll likely end up blowing your transmission.

Think about it, Mitsubishi wouldn't have put the OD control on the Shifter if they didn't want you to use it.

Generally speaking if you're going 90 and want to drop out of OD, gun the engine up a few hundred/thousand RPMS when you switch it off,that way you don't RPM Choke your engine into Dynamic Braking. Doing this is the equivelant of dropping from fourth into third on a manual (or some reasonable conversion like that), don't do it, it'll only lend to more wear and tear on your Tranny. So rev that engine first!

How much though? I notice when I kick out of OD it normally takes the RPMs from (est) 2500 up to (est) 4500, so revving around 2000 RPMs is reasonable when dropping out of OD.

Don't do this on a crowded road unless you know what you're doing, since you can't go into nuetral before revving the engine (like you might be able to on a standard) you have to get the RPMs up while still in OD Drive, that means a slight speed bump before the tranny will shift out of Overdrive.

Sounds complicated, but if you figure it all out you'll eventually know when to turn Overdrive on and off. A Good rule of thumb is LOCO

"Long (straight Roads) Over-drive, Curves (roads) Off"

stormcruiser
    I like leaving overdrive off...cause i live in a city and most of the time I travel short distance with a speed limit of 35mph. so i need quick acceleration because of the frequent traffic lights. and somehow my car has a rpm probelm.....it takes long ass time to leach rpm of 3 from 2...I was thinking that it was my injector problem but even after couple bottles of injector cleaner there is no imporvement. Are you alls cars like that as well? but when I turn od off..rpm rises quicker between 2 and 3 hence i get more excited . I never cared about using too much fuel so I don't care about high rpm and gas problem....but I do worry wheather my transmission and engine can take the high rpm driving.

Dracas
    Stormcruiser:

I don't think I'd worry unless you're driving around at a constant 6000+ RPM level (at/over redline included). The engines and transmission were designed to operate (nominally) at around 2000~3000 with Overdrive and 3000~4000 with Overdrive off. This means that their maximum tolerance for standard/advanced load is going to be pretty good, even if you drive around at 4000 RPMs for years to come.

Pretty rugged little things, engines are. Their tested by safe RPM range and Horsepower at the Flywheel, not the Tranny, so it should be okay. If you're still concerned, take your ride in for regular checkups.