The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wtf is that noise?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    19Galant97

wtf is that noise?

My 97 galant seems to make a rattling noise wen reved at around 2000rpm is something loose>? is it the crankshaft? or is this just normal? let me know please thanx alot ..

MiKe--

i'd open up the hood and just listen around. since we can't really hear this rattleling, it could be something as simple as a loose bolt or like your exhaust.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

STL95LS

Rattling

you know my 94 just started doing that and it is getting worse. I used a stethascope and cannot figure out where its coming from. Lately its been doing that when on the highway and let off the trottle too. I guess when it comes loose I will know what it is.

brandon
    Definitely need more detail... but first guess would be your exhaust, maybe a heat shield loose or something.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Definitely need more detail... but first guess would be your exhaust, maybe a heat shield loose or something.</div>

Brandon makes the most logical guess...its probably a loose exhaust part somewhere from the header probably all the way down to the cat converter. I would rev the motor to around 2 grand and listen for noise with the hood up.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

STL95LS

noise

my noise is for sure engine related, I have already removed the annoying heat sheild.

TGC Regular
    definetly sounds like a flux capacitor....

when is we gon be free????

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgson316
    definetly sounds like a flux capacitor....
    HAHA

19Galant97
    aiiight guys thanx for the replies .. I looked a lil further into it and it definatly seems like somethin is rattling down in the exhaust pipe near the front of the engine... pretty much right where it comes off of the headers... simple enough now I gotta get it to a mechanic get it on a lift and pop that shit outaa there ...

mrteacha
    take a look at hte lower part of the header right before the flex pipe there is some heat shield on it thats probably rusted and hanging on a thread... i pulled mine off the other day and the entire pipe underneath desintegrated into dust :cry:

brandon
    Yeah just jack up the front of the car and get under there. A pair of big channel locks should do the trick if it is in fact a heat shield.