The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tips on interior paint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

tips on interior paint

sup yall, looking to paint my dashboard but i have no idea how to get it done, is there a procedure i have to follow so that the paint wouldnt fade or crack?? any help is good

thanks

Livn2sk8
    I've heard some advice...."If it's fabric, leave it fabric, if it's plastic...paint it"...I just painted my A-pillars last night actually...."Krylon Fusion Glossy Black".....Incredible results...and it was dry within 30 min.

If and when I do my dashboard...i'm getting it all re-vinyled at a shop....shouldn't cost but a hundred or so bucks.....

but...that's just me

as far as painting....soap...water.....water.....make sure no soap is left....primer...paint....nice even coats....taking your time and little coats at a time...and a few coats of clear on top of that....should be fine....

brandon
    Don't forget light sanding prior to painting, and in between coats if possible. That'll give you the best results.

The more coats and the more clear coat, the longer it will last.

the_kage
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Don't forget light sanding prior to painting, and in between coats if possible. That'll give you the best results.

The more coats and the more clear coat, the longer it will last.
    Can I get an <span style='color:blue'>AMEN!</span>

Don't paint it!, buy a spare from a junkyard instead. Painting my interior was the worst mistake I've ever made with my car.
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

the_kage
    Quote Originally Posted by jluv97
    Don't paint it!, buy a spare from a junkyard instead. Painting my interior was the worst mistake I've ever made with my car.
    Havent you painted it like.. a thousand times a thousand different colors?

Quote Originally Posted by the_kage
    Havent you painted it like.. a thousand times a thousand different colors?
    there haven't been that many variations.
    1. stock (tan/beige)
    2. Black and burgandy
    3. black and white (burgandy accents)
    4. black and burgandy (red guages)
    5. black and dark cherry (matches the exterior paint)
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

im not going to do it for my galant, i wanted to do it to the eclipse, but im still confused i dont know what i wanna go with, the car has a red exterior and a grey interior, so i was thinking or either

red and black
    red and white

so let me know.

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    i havent had any probelms with mine yet and its been 6 months in vegas heat +/-100

btw i used dupli-color metal flake. its good for metal, fiberglass, wood, and plastic.

thanks for the help dude, ur car is looking sweet, what kind of flak did u use?? im sorta thinking about gold flaks

doo doo butter

GalantSpeed
    I painted mine months ago. close to a year, but you need to really really take your time and take this serious. If you dont put the effort into it, its gonna come out all jacked up. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish the center piece(radio A/C etc part) between sanding, wet sanding and painting it about 3 to 4o hours a day. i kinda got nuts on it but it turned out really good. i painted it aluminum color, and it looks like metal now. I get lots of compliments on it.
    my advise: TAKE YOUR TIME! use a super fine grit sand paper to remove all the tiny bumps on the pieces.....use lots of water too for when you wet sand it....

so this is what i should do:

wash it with water and soap
    dry it
    sand it
    paint it
    sand it
    paint it
    clear coat it then? if im wrong plz correct me, also is there a website that i can get tips on how to paint my interior?? what would be really helpfull, also gs, do you have any pics or ur interior?

Quote Originally Posted by galant_speed
    so this is what i should do:

dry it
    sand it
    paint it
    sand it
    paint it
    clear coat it then? if im wrong plz correct me, also is there a website that i can get tips on how to paint my interior?? what would be really helpfull, also gs, do you have any pics or ur interior?
    close. but you want to wash and dry before each layer of paint and clear.

also if the pieces are plastic i'd also suggest that you use an ahdesion promoter before the first layer of paint.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Ya i got like 2 extra sets of everything Dash,panels,vents,console. Well you get the idea.

Im just lazy thats why i havent done mine yet. And i still cant decide on the color scheme, any ideas?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

As far as preping the surface for paint. Sand the entire piece with a 400 grit. If you have the woodgrain trim then sand the film (shit that makes it look woodgrain) off w/ same grit and then clean the pieces in alcohol. Wear latex gloves when doing this to keep from getting dirt, oil, or any other contaminants on the surfaces you are going to paint. Then let dry COMPLETELY. As far as actually painting the pieces there are several different ways that will work. I havent painted my interior. I don't know which will work best in this application and I don't want to say do this and someone be disappointed. Just use the other advice for that. Hope this helps someone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>so this is what i should do:

dry it
    sand it
    paint it
    sand it Â*
    paint it
    clear coat it then? if im wrong plz correct me, also is there a website that i can get tips on how to paint my interior?? what would be really helpfull, also gs, do you have any pics or ur interior?</div>

also if the pieces are plastic i'd also suggest that you use an ahdesion promoter before the first layer of paint.</div>

i dont know what the dashboard is made out of, the material is some what like leather, sorta soft and u can squeeze it, so would that be leather

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>so this is what i should do:

dry it
    sand it
    paint it
    sand it Â*
    paint it
    clear coat it then? if im wrong plz correct me, also is there a website that i can get tips on how to paint my interior?? what would be really helpfull, also gs, do you have any pics or ur interior?</div>

also if the pieces are plastic i'd also suggest that you use an ahdesion promoter before the first layer of paint.</div>

i dont know what the dashboard is made out of, the material is some what like leather, sorta soft and u can squeeze it, so would that be leather</div>

thats vinyl. you don't want to paint that

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast