The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: belts/waterpump replaced, soon?

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

belts/waterpump replaced, soon?

alright, i'm over 60k miles and in Mitsu. maintenance pamphlet it states all the things that need to be tuned up. A close family friend of ours who is a mechanic for Toyota has been working on all of our cars in the houshold. Now he drained and replaced all the fluids (i.e. tranny, coolant, etc.). But i was having a debate w/him about how the pamphlets says to replace all the belts. But he states that really doesn't need to be replaced until 90k! I thought this was unbelievable...my car has been trustworthy but isn't no Toyota, ya'feel me. Can i get some input on this? Cuz i don't want to be driving and then the belts break which pretty much will say good bye to my ride if that ever happens.
    Also, just curious as well...when should the waterpump be replaced? He said it should be replaced at 90k as well, probably when the belts are replaced. I guess 90k is the magic number for Toyota.
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Man you may as well replace the waterpump while you have the belt cover off. Its a pain to remove everything and waterpumps are very easy to replace and only cost like $60-90 nowadays.

As for Toyotas, *most* of them use timing chains which are a lot stronger than timing belts. I would go much past 70k w/o doing a belt job. Our motors are interferience motors, so if the belt breaks then your valves could get pushed into the pistons and bent. Usually when someones timing belt breaks you just have to replace/rebuild the head. But sometimes they make nice little happy faces on the pistons

Timing belts and the parts you should replace(tensioners) really add up. When I did mine, parts came to about $220.
    7g for life!