The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: who's done the 5spd swap for the 7G?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    ohhh ya fyi shipping is about 100 for the stuff... emailed the guy yesterday
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dark7GHawk)</div><div class='quotemain'>UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU USE BRAKE LINE FOR THE HYDRAULIC LINES GOING FROM ACCUMULATOR TO SLAVE CYLINDER.

I have been back to a mechanic a day after I get that line fixed twice now due to the lines blowing out. SS Teflon is ok since it will expand a little with the clutch pressure and not actually break. But if you are going to use a hard line, make sure you use the Stock Mitsu item, which may require you to get the stock accumulator part as well. </div>

The line for the hydrolic clutch is the same exact thing as a brake line. if you use a brake line from a auto parts store you'll be fine but you will have to put twists and turns in it for it to have boency and not break (like the standard on brake lines they have to have bends all over so they wont be so ridged) Take it like this.... for u suspension you got a spring and a shock. What works better? the shock where its a straight shaft and goes up n down or a spring witch has turns in it allowing for more absorbtion of bumps?

oh yae i've been 5speeding for 3 months now 8)
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

question... how long do clutches normally last with normal driving conditions before replacing them again...?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Stock clutches should last 15k+ miles
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    ok, two more basic questions before i start harassing every 5spd member on aim.

1 - what tranny fluid should i use for the "new" 5spd transmission? (it is a 95 5spd galant tranny)
    2 - what clutches do I get? any clutch for a 2G 5spd transmission?
    2.5 - what's the best god damn clutch that money can buy? what are good/reputable brands?

mucho gracias
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    Just wondering..... Are the posts over at GS of the dudes w/ stock 5-speed 7g's running 15's making everyone want to swap???

B/c it's motivating me

when is we gon be free????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hodgson316)</div><div class='quotemain'> posts over at GS of the dudes w/ stock 5-speed 7g's running 15's making everyone want to swap</div>

??? :puzzled1: never read those post. but im sure it's not jus cuz he has a 5speed.

as for clutches i believe u could use 2g 7bolt ones and brand....I like ACT
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

not really. i need to swap for 3 reasons
    1. automatic transmissions on street cars is the worst invention ever
    2. mitsubishi automatic transmissions hold the title as being the worst autos ever built
    3. aamco rebuilt my auto 4 months ago, and i dont think it will last another month. it 100% pure dog shit.

and i want to get into the mid 14s with the nitrous 8)

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>not really. i need to swap for 3 reasons
    1. automatic transmissions on street cars is the worst invention ever
    2. mitsubishi automatic transmissions hold the title as being the worst autos ever built
    3. aamco rebuilt my auto 4 months ago, and i dont think it will last another month. it 100% pure dog shit. Â*

and i want to get into the mid 14s with the nitrous Â*8)</div>

baby steps first man... 16's, then 15's... :laughing: j/p.. good luck wit that

GPTourer
    Ida know. If I ever get around to doing a 4G63T swap in my 7G, I was kind of looking foward to having an auto. A built auto, of course, from like Level 10. The idea of brake boosting off the line and not missing shifts sound good. Mitsu autos may not be so great, but DSM 5sps ain't all cookies and cream either.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hodgson316)</div><div class='quotemain'> posts over at GS of the dudes w/ stock 5-speed 7g's running 15's making everyone want to swap</div>

??? :puzzled1: never read those post. but im sure it's not jus cuz he has a 5speed.

as for clutches i believe u could use 2g 7bolt ones and brand....I like ACT</div>

actually theres a couple over there that are runnin 15's, but their not completely stock: I/E ... Which get's me wondering what the GS could do at the track :shock:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GPTourer)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ida know. If I ever get around to doing a 4G63T swap in my 7G, I was kind of looking foward to having an auto. A built auto, of course, from like Level 10. The idea of brake boosting off the line and not missing shifts sound good. Mitsu autos may not be so great, but DSM 5sps ain't all cookies and cream either.</div>

the difference between a mitsu 5spd and a mitsu auto (especially MY pos auto) is the difference between banging a chick and masterbating with sandpaper while pouring boiling coffee on your face

you know your automatic is the biggest piece of shit when you can COUNT the seconds it takes to downshift.....

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Stock clutches should last 15k+ miles</div>

A stock clutch will last longer than 15,000 miles if driven right. Poor driving skills lead to clutch failure, leaving your foot resting on the clutch pedal between shifts, gasing the car as you're letting the clutch out, and power shifting will wear a clutch quickly. But if you drive it right, you can still drive the car fast without killing the clutch. I replaced my clutch at 160,000 miles, and that was because I dogged the hell out of it. My dad had over 200,000 miles on the original stock clutch before the car was wrecked.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>the difference between a mitsu 5spd and a mitsu auto (especially MY pos auto) is the difference between banging a chick and masterbating with sandpaper while pouring boiling coffee on your face
    </div>
    You're shot the f**k out man.

As for which clutch to go with, I have the ACT 2100. It works good and I haven't had any problems with it. But if I were to do it again I would go with the 2600. The price difference isn't that much, but the clamping force is more than enough for whatever you could possibly do to your car. It would be hard to slip a 2100 but if you go FI and nitrous it would probably be worth going with the 2600. The 2100 has a little stronger pedal feel to it over the stock clutch. But, from what I've heard, the 2600 will give your left leg a work out.

By the way, I just put in a B&M short shifter and the Energy Suspension shifter base bushings. I would recommend this to anyone. Not only did it shorten the throw a lot, but it stiffened up the whole shifter assembly. It's a very stiff, precise shift now; before shifting was loose and kind of sloppy. Definetly a BIG IMPROVEMENT! Something to consider when you do the swap.

hurry up and win already :evil: its just teasing me with all this waiting...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>hurry up and win already :evil: Â*its just teasing me with all this waiting...</div>

i'm going to be sitting here watching it when it ends, if i don't win it, i will kill somebody.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Remove the cotterpins at the end of the axles, loosen the two endnuts, they are 32mm. I bought a huge 3/4" breakerbar and 32mm socket from Farm and Home.
    are you sure it's 32mm. i was at pep boys today getting the last of the tools, and they only had a 33mm socket there. that thing is HUGE. are you sure that's the right size for the endnuts? the endnuts on the end of our axles are maybe 4-6mm bigger than our OEM lugnuts. :?: :?: :?: :?:

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    As far as auto trannies, i've had my car since 98 and it's a 94 LS. I had aamco rebuild the auto in 2000, and after that it never shifted from first to second right. it would rev from 3000 to about 5500, then switch into second. so forget ever trying to take someone off the line. Then it went out again late 2003 i went to aamco in april before i moved back to kc, from jersey. I swear the minute i picked the car up something didn't feel right. Be damned if the same night i picked my car up the tranny went out again. Same F$%^&ng day!!! So it stayed like that till i got back to KC, too it to an aamco here. (Nation wide warranty, but it's really
    F%$^ed up) The aamco here had my car till the first week of June. 6
    F$%^in weeks!!! Finally picked it up, didn't feel right. Actually first problem i had i didn't even get out of aamco's parking lot. Again, same night i picked up my car the transmission went out AGAIN!!!! took it to a different aamco in the city, they fixed it in a week, and haven't had any problems since.

I got the new 5 speed, and now i'm wanting the tranny to go out, and it won't go figure.
    If i were anyone here, and you ever ever ever ever have tranny problems, <span style='color:red'>DON'T </span>take it to aamco.

Take your money, and do the swap, you'll probably come out spending less money too.

Streetdreams:
    If i read you right, your saying your car has over 360,000 miles on it? Where the hell you been driving? :shock: i got a 94 and only have 160,000.

TGC Regular
    whoa!!! :shock: just noticed that... haha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Streetdreams:
    If i read you right, your saying your car has over 360,000 miles on it? Â*Where the hell you been driving? :shock: Â*i got a 94 and only have 160,000.</div>

Hahahaha....I just went back and read my post, it does kind of read wrong. I was saying that my car had 160,000 miles on it before the stock clutch went, and my dad's car (not the galant) had over 200,000 miles on the stock clutch. I was just trying to give a few examples that a stock clutch will last a very long time if driven right (because someone said that it would last 15,000 miles). I've driven back and forth to Jersey, New York, and PA from Florida more than a dozen times in the galant and still haven't broken 200,000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12