The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Drove a 9g last night

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Drove a 9g last night

I had my 01 in for an oil change last night and I asked to take a 9g for a drive. It was an LS v6 model. I liked the dash lighting in the dark. It was kind of a blue color. The steering wheel audio controls are nice too. When I stepped on it it had the same hesitancy to downshift that my 01 has. It also didn't seem as smooth shifting but that might be just because it is new. It didn't feel much quicker than my car, but I didn't really get on it because of traffic and cops. The handling felt better than my cars'. Overall though I liked the car.

interesting... I was hoping that the 3.8L would be more of a "beast" over the 3L hmmm guess it can or will with proper modding.

I drove a I4 9g while I was in cali powerwise it was pitiful but it is GREAT on gas to me the car is rather large for the factory wheels/tires. Then again it resembles the new gen maxima with less flare. Only thing left for me to do is drive the V6 9gen then maybe I can appreciate what mitsu has done for me lately...damn I used toyota's slogan haha

You should try taking out the 9G on the Mitsu Feel What Happens Tour (see post https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=29610 )

I was actaully impressed by how this car can handle for being such a heavy fugger. I think the 9G V6 could easily take an 8G V6 off the line.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>You should try taking out the 9G on the Mitsu Feel What Happens Tour (see post https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=29610 )

I was actaully impressed by how this car can handle for being such a heavy fugger. I think the 9G V6 could easily take an 8G V6 off the line.</div>

I signed up but then declined on going for the simple fact that you can only drive two cars in the mitsu lineup...Galant and endevor... No evo = no me. Not that I would drive the evo seeing as how its a smaller cousin of my vr4 but still I would at least be able to look at every inch of the car without an owner looking at me weird

Yeah, the "Feel What Happens Tour" is basically an extended Galant/Montero sales pitch, so all the focus is on the two cars - there was an Evo there, but just to look at :?

etam
    I also test drove the 2004 4cyclinder ES model today.

* The front seat are quite firm.. or actually hard.
    * The clock (center dash) doesn't light up until you turn on headlight??
    * Brake feel is good.
    * Engine is noisy! but I guess all new cars are cheap on sound insulation?? or they prefer to market it as racing engine sounds My 97 Subaru Legacy or my dad's 98 Camry 4 cyc. is much quiter!
    * Stock sounds system is decent.
    * Door is very plastic! whole panel of plastic in your face! was there any cloth insert??
    * no folding rear seats.. well 98 Camry's one fold but the openings are much smaller than my Legacy.
    * no locking fuel door
    * quite roomy front and back

More 9G's on the road

I'm actually seeing more 9G's on the road here in the greater Phoenix metro area. Before September, I'd see one once a week or so. Now, I'll see at least one a day... and no, they don't have a Renatl-Car sticker on 'em
    Mitsubishi Sapporo Turbo, the first, the best and the most beautiful car I've ever owned.

GPTourer
    I attended the feel what happens event. After we did our stints behind the wheel they put us in with a couple of professional drivers. The best part was where they re-enacted the Galant vs Accord brake test. Even though you guys might think the 3.8 is not much difference, I beg to differ - the new car is just so big and smooth and well balanced, it doesn't feel that fast when you are behind the wheel, but let some crazed stunt driver get a holt of one and things change. It was the first time I've actually seen someone use the Sportronic effectively and with vigor. After a few hardcore slaloms and hand brake turns, we lined up with the Accord (mind you each car has three pasengers) and absolutely smoke it off the line (like two car lengths up to 60) then they both slam on their brakes and we watch the Accord pop through a paper barricade, while the Galant stops with plenty of room to spare. Sounds like a rudimentary stunt you see outdone all the time on t.v., but when you witness it first hand, its pretty cool.

The GTS is a bad ass piece of merchandise, it is easily the best most well-rounded Galant. People with VR-4's will say otherwise and although they are better performers, for a typical everyday highway and city cruiser, the 9G is an excellent car. I am hoping for a Ralliart version possibly with either the new 5sp Sportronic or the 6sp manual from the upcoming 4G Eclipse, or maybe save up and build my own with either Evo power, or V6 manual.

Quote Originally Posted by GPTourer
    I attended the feel what happens event. After we did our stints behind the wheel they put us in with a couple of professional drivers. The best part was where they re-enacted the Galant vs Accord brake test. Even though you guys might think the 3.8 is not much difference, I beg to differ - the new car is just so big and smooth and well balanced, it doesn't feel that fast when you are behind the wheel, but let some crazed stunt driver get a holt of one and things change. It was the first time I've actually seen someone use the Sportronic effectively and with vigor. After a few hardcore slaloms and hand brake turns, we lined up with the Accord (mind you each car has three pasengers) and absolutely smoke it off the line (like two car lengths up to 60) then they both slam on their brakes and we watch the Accord pop through a paper barricade, while the Galant stops with plenty of room to spare. Sounds like a rudimentary stunt you see outdone all the time on t.v., but when you witness it first hand, its pretty cool.

The GTS is a bad ass piece of merchandise, it is easily the best most well-rounded Galant. People with VR-4's will say otherwise and although they are better performers, for a typical everyday highway and city cruiser, the 9G is an excellent car. I am hoping for a Ralliart version possibly with either the new 5sp Sportronic or the 6sp manual from the upcoming 4G Eclipse, or maybe save up and build my own with either Evo power, or V6 manual.
    I couldn't agree more! I read a review from Motortrend Magazine, and although they rated the Galant GTS highly (second in their comparisson). They gave the Accord EXV6 top honors and gave it a performance edge including acceleration. After reading this I had to laugh, because I owned a 2003 Accord EXV6 and after test driving and buying the Galant GTS I found that it absolutely destroyed the Accord in every performance catagory except maybe mid-range acceleration. The Accord was a very nice car but it was very boring in every way, totaly opposite of the Galant GTS. The use of the autostick is a big difference in performance for this car and after learning the right rpm's to shift at it's a monster! it also has adaptive memory, so the car learns how to shift and accelerate quicker the more you use it and adjusts the cars computer accordingly. Right now I'm trying to determine if acceleration is better with the traction control turned off. It seems quicker with it on but forget trying to build rpms before takeoff with the TCS on. I wish they could put the TCS button on the shifter so you can turn it off while trying to build up RPMs and engage it immediately after takeoff while using the autostick mode. Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed the test drive.

Today I was picking up some touch up paint at a Mitsu dealer and sat in a GTS. Very nice. It has more legroom than the 8g. The leather was also very nice. Maybe when my 01 has 150k on it I will consider a 9g. Only 93k more to go! Hopefully the 9g's resale is as bad as the 8g's!