The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 93' Galant Project

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    ProjectNA-Galant

93' Galant Project

Hey everyone!
    I just got a 1993 galant. Unfortunately it has the 4g63 16v SOHC, instead of the DOHC. However I would like to pull some extra HP from it so here is what i am doing and what i am planning on doing. Any suggestions is really appreciated
    What I have on order/received
    Stock 4g63 DOHC TB: will bore it and use larger machined butterfly from Mazda Protege 2.0L
    turbo injectors&resistor pack
    turbo fuel rail
    turbo fuel pump
    Talon NA 4g63 DOHC Intake Manifold(will port match&machine)
    Flowmaster muffler
    front engine mount

I will eventually be ordering
    K&N cone filter
    Punishment Racing intake pipe
    Catback w/ Flowmaster muffler
    RPW 16v camshaft
    IPT automatic clutch kit and valvebody upgrade

Now i am a little confused about my engine. It is a 4g63k 16v SOHC. From my research it appears that this is just a 4g63 block with 4g64 head. Therefore I can use valvetrain components from the 4g64, correct. Also I am assuming that the port sizes of the 4g63 DOHC and 4g63k/4g64 SOHC cylinder heads are approximately the same. From looking at it they look similar. Worst comes to worse i can port them to match i guess. Any info on these or other potential mods or problems is again very much appreciated!

Greg

orangbaligila

Re: 93' Galant Project

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProjectNA-Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey everyone!
    I just got a 1993 galant. Unfortunately it has the 4g63 16v SOHC, instead of the DOHC. However I would like to pull some extra HP from it so here is what i am doing and what i am planning on doing. Any suggestions is really appreciated
    What I have on order/received
    Stock 4g63 DOHC TB: will bore it and use larger machined butterfly from Mazda Protege 2.0L
    turbo injectors&resistor pack
    turbo fuel rail
    turbo fuel pump
    Talon NA 4g63 DOHC Intake Manifold(will port match&machine)
    Flowmaster muffler
    front engine mount

I will eventually be ordering Â*
    K&N cone filter
    Punishment Racing intake pipe
    Catback w/ Flowmaster muffler
    RPW 16v camshaft
    IPT automatic clutch kit and valvebody upgrade

Now i am a little confused Â*about my engine. It is a 4g63k 16v SOHC. From my research it appears that this is just a 4g63 block with 4g64 head. Therefore I can use valvetrain components from the 4g64, correct. Also I am assuming that the port sizes of the 4g63 DOHC and 4g63k/4g64 SOHC cylinder heads are approximately the same. From looking at it they look similar. Worst comes to worse i can port them to match i guess. Any info on these or other potential mods or problems is again very much appreciated!

Greg</div>

my suggestion,..

try to trim your shopping list a bit,.. and try to fit in a DOHC head to your shopping list,... there are only few things you can actually do with Mitsubishi's SOHC head...

(if anyone says otherwise,... well, it is possible to make power with SOHC,,... but way better when using DOHC head)

just a suggestion

ken inn
    you will never get that to work. you will need at least, some sort of fuel control, at best, a standalone ecu. for the money it will take to tune all of that, you can go out and buy a vr4, which will start out with way more hp than you will end up with. when you start modding a n/a car, you end up about where the turbo cars start stock. and, as always, traction is gonna be your main problem, then torque steer will be right behind it. on a stock vr4, 195hp/205tq, all you need is a simple manual boost controller, and you can turn up the boost from 10.5 stock to about 15, that's roughly 50 hp for a cost of about 50 bucks. and, you will NEVER have to worry about traction. also, the vr4 has reasonable nice aerodynamics(a bit too gaudy for me), and way better brakes. and, it COMES with all the emblems everyone seems to want to put on their wannabe cars(i took all of mine OFF). the vr4 is very well made(in japan), and very strong. all kinds of performance parts are available for it. why fool around looking for 20-40hp when you can be getting increases of 200hp. AT THE WHEELS.

orangbaligila
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>you will never get that to work. Â*you will need at least, some sort of fuel control, at best, a standalone ecu. Â*for the money it will take to tune all of that, you can go out and buy a vr4, which will start out with way more hp than you will end up with. Â*when you start modding a n/a car, you end up about where the turbo cars start stock. Â*and, as always, traction is gonna be your main problem, then torque steer will be right behind it. Â*on a stock vr4, 195hp/205tq, all you need is a simple manual boost controller, and you can turn up the boost from 10.5 stock to about 15, that's roughly 50 hp for a cost of about 50 bucks. Â*and, you will NEVER have to worry about traction. Â*also, the vr4 has reasonable nice aerodynamics(a bit too gaudy for me), and way better brakes. Â*and, it COMES with all the emblems everyone seems to want to put on their wannabe cars(i took all of mine OFF). Â*the vr4 is very well made(in japan), and very strong. Â*all kinds of performance parts are available for it. Â*why fool around looking for 20-40hp when you can be getting increases of 200hp. Â*AT THE WHEELS.</div>

for some ppl,... the journey is what it's all about,... not the destination

however,... you might take a wrong path in your journey,... so, be careful

Actually the motor you have is the 4G64 2.4L SOHC. If it had been a 4G63 SOHC, a simple swap to a DOHC head would net 13.1:1 compression and would be a total pain without fuel control and 110 octane.
    Jason V.
    [b]<span style='color:red'>EVOL-ART / Evolution Artisan Tuning</span>
    If you want to fight the power, get the power to fight!
    <span style='color:blue'>C53A '89 Plymouth Colt GT Turbo 4G61T
    E38A '90 Mitsubishi Galant GSX 4G63T
    E39A '91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 1823/2000
    D27A '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 4G63T</span>

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>you will never get that to work. Â*you will need at least, some sort of fuel control, at best, a standalone ecu. Â*for the money it will take to tune all of that, you can go out and buy a vr4, which will start out with way more hp than you will end up with. Â*when you start modding a n/a car, you end up about where the turbo cars start stock. Â*and, as always, traction is gonna be your main problem, then torque steer will be right behind it. Â*on a stock vr4, 195hp/205tq, all you need is a simple manual boost controller, and you can turn up the boost from 10.5 stock to about 15, that's roughly 50 hp for a cost of about 50 bucks. Â*and, you will NEVER have to worry about traction. Â*also, the vr4 has reasonable nice aerodynamics(a bit too gaudy for me), and way better brakes. Â*and, it COMES with all the emblems everyone seems to want to put on their wannabe cars(i took all of mine OFF). Â*the vr4 is very well made(in japan), and very strong. Â*all kinds of performance parts are available for it. Â*why fool around looking for 20-40hp when you can be getting increases of 200hp. Â*AT THE WHEELS.</div>

Well said and Amen to that.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by dsmracer
    Actually the motor you have is the 4G64 2.4L SOHC. If it had been a 4G63 SOHC, a simple swap to a DOHC head would net 13.1:1 compression and would be a total pain without fuel control and 110 octane.

Actually, the motor he has IS indeed a 4g63 2.0L w/ a 16-valve SOHC head... I have one waiting for its 4g63t swap...

-Shawn
    <a href='http://imageshack.us' target='_blank'></a>

'92 Galant LS
    '92 Galant VR-4
    '92 Galant GSR
    '93 Galant S (DOHC swapped DD)

Why not throw in the 4g64 block as well? The heads are the same, and you can grab the turbo mods from a 2G eclipse or talon. Would be worth the extra HP and torque dont you think? You pretty much have a 2g block already, just that its a 2.0.
    1991 Galant GS, 2ND Gen 4g64 DOHC conversion, 9.5:1 CR custom pistons, stock 4G63 head, 2.4 injectors, 2.0 ECM.
    1994 Hyundai Elantra, 2ND Gen 4g64 DOHC conversion, 9.5:1 CR custom pistons, stock 4G63 head, Heavy duty 5 speed KM-210 transmission, KN filter, 2.4 injectors, 2.0 ECM.

Quote Originally Posted by autonut1
    Why not throw in the 4g64 block as well? The heads are the same, and you can grab the turbo mods from a 2G eclipse or talon. Would be worth the extra HP and torque dont you think? You pretty much have a 2g block already, just that its a 2.0.
    dud this thread is from 2005 lol
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

just noticed that lol It was early in the am, not quite with it yet. later
    1991 Galant GS, 2ND Gen 4g64 DOHC conversion, 9.5:1 CR custom pistons, stock 4G63 head, 2.4 injectors, 2.0 ECM.
    1994 Hyundai Elantra, 2ND Gen 4g64 DOHC conversion, 9.5:1 CR custom pistons, stock 4G63 head, Heavy duty 5 speed KM-210 transmission, KN filter, 2.4 injectors, 2.0 ECM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke9511
    Quote Originally Posted by autonut1
    dud this thread is from 2005 lol
    forgive the guy not to many people post in the 6gen forum, not too many people own 6g's.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>