The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bad Wheel Bearing, CV or other?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    JmZ

Bad Wheel Bearing, CV or other?

Driving along tonight got a noise starting up from the passenger rear of the car. Searched through the section here and sounds like it might be a CV or a bearing.

Symptoms - Driving along while going straight, turning, accelerating, or braking I hear a thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk that increases in volume and speed as the car goes faster. The noise isn't always there, most likely going to work tomorrow morning the noise will be gone, only to return tomorrow night, or this weekend...

I've heard it before but it hasn't been this loud (at first it was almost like a large stone was stuck in the tires). Putting on better sneakers and rims helped out, but the noise has come back.

The mitsu's the daily driver so no way to put it up for a few days. Any thoughts, hints, ways to avoid pain at the dealership are appreciated.

Thanks!

JmZ

check the tire pressure. retorque them lug nuts.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

if it is coming from the rear of the car i can eliminate one choice right of the bat. its not a CV. since a CV is only on front wheel drive cars(or 4X4's). it is the piece that allows the wheels to turn left and right while you are driving.

besides that. how many miles are on the car? which side?(can you tell) what are the roads like where you live?

check for uneven wear patterns on your tires this may indicate which side it is coming from if you cant tell. I am thinking you may have a blown strut that is causing your tire to bounce around and make the thunk or even cause the tire to go out of balance which is then causeing the thunk. but hey if you can get some more info that would help. also check for oil coming from the strut this will tell you if it is bad also.
    01 Galant ES V6 R.I.P
    ROB
    U.S ARMY...THANX FOR YOUR SUPPORT

JmZ
    More details:

Car is an '01 ES V6 with about 50K miles.
    Passenger Side
    Roads around here are some rough, some better, some smooth. Roads don't seem to cause it.

Handling is as good as always, no funky wear patterns on the tire, but will have to check the struts for oil leakage. Weirdest part is, as predicted, no sounds this morning when driving to work. Someone at work suggested it might be something sticking with the brake too.

Think I'll have to take it to the shop real soon.

Thanks for all the help.

JmZ

Censee
    ive been having the same problems too,and i have 2 cv boots ripped,,,,,i dont know how long theyve been ripped but they are getting fixed this weekend..but same thinmgs happened to me.......God knows how long ive had em ripped for...

JmZ

It's in the shop...

And they say...it was the brakes, they needed machined to get rid of a high spot on the Rotor. Only happened sometimes because the pads were worn and didn't retract all the way.

I'll see when I get it back.

JmZ