The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '92 2.0L SOHC conversion.

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    3diamonds

'92 2.0L SOHC conversion.

Hey everyone,

i just joined, got my galant less than a week ago, perfect cond, no rust no damage, but it looks like it has a 2.0l 8V SOHC engine .

I have done the infamous step 1...bought the Haynes book on it to see wether i could convert it into DOHC.

So my question is

1 Is it possible to put a DOHC head on 2.0L SOHC?

2 Are the lower parts of the engine the same> (they looked like it on the books) ALTHOUGH i noticed the water pump was a little bit different?? or is it just a crappy drawing ?

3 Will i need the new ECU and the harness?

and finally (drum roll) will the 5 speed M/t be OK with the extra power?

from what i saw and read it looks like mitsu makes one of the best engines!

Re: '92 2.0L SOHC conversion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3diamonds)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey everyone, Â*

i just joined, got my galant less than a week ago, perfect cond, no rust no damage, but it looks like it has a 2.0l 8V SOHC engine . Â*

I have done the infamous step 1...bought the Haynes book on it to see wether i could convert it into DOHC.

So my question is

1 Is it possible to put a DOHC head on 2.0L SOHC?

2 Are the lower parts of the engine the same> (they looked like it on the books) ALTHOUGH i noticed the water pump was a little bit different?? or is it just a crappy drawing ?

3 Will i need the new ECU and the harness?

and finally (drum roll) will the 5 speed M/t be OK with the extra power?

from what i saw and read it looks like mitsu makes one of the best engines! Â*
    </div>

1. Yes you can, but without also swapping to the DOHC pistons you will have 13.1:1 compression.

2. It's probably just a crappy drawing. Haynes isn't know for their stellar illustrations. The blocks are identical.

3. You're going to be better off just doing a full DOHC swap, in which you will need the DOHC ECU, and harness.

4. Your tranny will handle the power fine since both NT motors use the same tranny.
    Jason V.
    [b]<span style='color:red'>EVOL-ART / Evolution Artisan Tuning</span>
    If you want to fight the power, get the power to fight!
    <span style='color:blue'>C53A '89 Plymouth Colt GT Turbo 4G61T
    E38A '90 Mitsubishi Galant GSX 4G63T
    E39A '91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 1823/2000
    D27A '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 4G63T</span>

3diamonds

13:1?? WOOOW

Lol thats a loot of compression! I definately see what you mean! So the heads will fit, excellent. The reason i was asking for a head swap is that i cant get cheap transport to where my mitsu is at . That and that this one has just incredibly LOW mileage on it (very LUCKY) like 40 K ish miles!

1 So stock pistions are good enough for a turbo job (if i changed rings)? (Max 16g)

2 ECU? aww dang wiring harness is going to be a bitch to find.

3 and i found a great exhaust header, but its 2G (and a DOHC head) will any of those fit?

This is really good news, Thanks!

Re: 13:1?? WOOOW

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3diamonds)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lol thats a loot of compression! I definately see what you mean! So the heads will fit, excellent. The reason i was asking for a head swap is that i cant get cheap transport to where my mitsu is at . That and that this one has just incredibly LOW mileage on it (very LUCKY) like 40 K ish miles!

1 So stock pistions are good enough for a turbo job (if i changed rings)? (Max 16g)

2 ECU? aww dang wiring harness is going to be a bitch to find.

3 and i found a great exhaust header, but its 2G (and a DOHC head) Â*will any of those fit?

This is really good news, Thanks!</div>

1. This pistons will be fine considering the stock compression is idea for a turbo a 8.5:1. I was going to turbo my SOHC car, but I'm selling it now.

2. Don't bother with the DOHC conversion unless you're doing a full swap.

3. Okay, make up your mind. Are you going turbo or staying NA? A header from what? A 2G what? If you're trying to put a DOHC anything on your SOHC it won't fit. Just look at where the ports are.
    Jason V.

3diamonds
    LOL

Sorry i wasnt clear on it

Firstly i meant putting the head from 2g on it (including the intake/ex manifold and was wondering if it was same as 1 G)

And the pistons i was referrin to were all those "forged" quintuple hardened monstrosities tey were selling @ pro parts sotores

And finally i noticed some temp probe on top of 2Gs im guessint thats fairly important whats that for?

Thanks for replying I'm just asonished how many mods this car can take, not to mention how damn good it performs compared to others :shock:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3diamonds)</div><div class='quotemain'>LOL

Sorry i wasnt clear on it

Firstly i meant putting the head from 2g on it (including the intake/ex manifold and was wondering if it was same as 1 G)

And the pistons i was referrin to were all those "forged" quintuple hardened monstrosities tey were selling @ pro parts sotores

And finally i noticed some temp probe on top of 2Gs im guessint thats fairly important whats that for?

Thanks for replying I'm just asonished how many mods this car can take, not to mention how damn good it performs compared to others Â*:shock:</div>

Okay, again a 2G what? Our Car is a 6G, but I'm going to assume you're talking about DSM's. A 2G DSM and 1G DSM heads are similar and will fit. However a 2G DSM head from a turbo car has smaller ports and all that good stuff. again you'll have the problem of compression if you're trying to swap just the heads. The forged pistons I can't say what you're talking about there either. Not sure what probe you're talking about either, but it's only imporant if you're also doing an OBD II conversion. Plain and simple here: Do a full swap. If you want the best bang for the buck simply swap in a 1G turbo motor with harness and ECU and be done with it. You'll be fast and actually look like you know what you're doing.
    Jason V.

3diamonds
    gotcha!

I will be doing just that after new year! will post pics!!

Thanks.

ehaab
    hey i own a 2.o SOHC as well..i was wondering if there was a tutorial that shows all steps required to convert a SOHC to DOHC...