The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacement Keys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35

Replacement Keys

I was walking through wal-mart a couple days ago and i stumbled into the automotive section. I stopped at the key place and asked them to make me a copy of my key. According to the guy, since there is a chip in the key that lets the car start, I have to get a copy made from the dealer. He says that it could be around $50. I haven't gotten a chance to go to the dealer lately and I was wondering if $50 for a spare key is right. What did those of you with replacement keys pay?

I've got one love in my life. And my girlfriend's learned to live with it. Girlfriends come and go. Your ride is forever.

Yes. There is a chip inside the keys. Pretty ingenious little buggers, too. It's not only coded for the ignition but also for the glove box and trunk. Your GRAY valet key will not open the glove box or trunk.

Sounds about right (as buying from the dealer cost an arm and a leg for anything). I've seen several 'blank' keys on ebay. I'm not sure where you'll have to get it cut and coded, though. Our Vender (DelRayMitsubishi) supplies us with Genuine Mitsubishi Parts at 25% off.

I asked @ my dealer. Its about 15 dollars for the blank and another 30 dollars to get it programmed. Hmm, i guess i shoulda struck a deal when i bought my car for more keys lol. But don't complain, my uncle's honda key costs him over a hundred dollars, or at least thats what the dealer charged him when he wanted another 1

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I have a 99 ES I4. I got a key copied at the dealership for 7.50. Are all 8G supposed to have this "chip"?

2000 models and up has the encoded key.

Quote Originally Posted by BBGalant
    I have a 99 ES I4. I got a key copied at the dealership for 7.50. Are all 8G supposed to have this "chip"?
    The pedal on the right is the gas, use it!

The "teeth" to the grey and black keys are different. The grey one is cut so that it only works for the ignition. The black one is cut so it opens all locks. It's just like the master keys hotels etc have.

Quote Originally Posted by BGR
    Yes. There is a chip inside the keys. Pretty ingenious little buggers, too. It's not only coded for the ignition but also for the glove box and trunk. Your GRAY valet key will not open the glove box or trunk.

Sounds about right (as buying from the dealer cost an arm and a leg for anything). I've seen several 'blank' keys on ebay. I'm not sure where you'll have to get it cut and coded, though. Our Vender (DelRayMitsubishi) supplies us with Genuine Mitsubishi Parts at 25% off.
    The pedal on the right is the gas, use it!

Quote Originally Posted by GalantUSA
    The "teeth" to the grey and black keys are different. The grey one is cut so that it only works for the ignition. The black one is cut so it opens all locks. It's just like the master keys hotels etc have.
    I placed both my keys together and they matched perfectly.

My brother's 2000 civic, he just made a regular $3 copy and it works.

speedygalant
    Quote Originally Posted by GalantUSA
    I placed both my keys together and they matched perfectly.
    They are different. I looked at mine and they are. Plus my glovebox lock came off and there is no computer or sensor there. Sorry BGR. it's just what i saw dude.

I'm holding both of the keys in my hand right now (well not right now) and like I said, both of MY keys (the black one and the gray one) match perfectly. There is no difference in the shape my two keys.

Checked it with the spare key. Same thing. I'm assuming everyone's Galant came with 3 keys, right?

speedygalant
    okay, i got all my three keys in front of me and the valet key is different. it is.

The joys of buying your Galant at a used car dealership. I only got one key. That's why I need a replacenment key. Also, should I get a copy of my keyless entry control or should I just go and get a new alarm system?

I've got one love in my life. And my girlfriend's learned to live with it. Girlfriends come and go. Your ride is forever.

I wonder if the year has anything to do with it. Mine is a 2000.

Replacement remote? I wouldn't worry about it if the alarm will unlock the door for you.

I wonder if the year has anything to do with it. Mine is a 2000.

Replacement remote? I wouldn't worry about it if the alarm will unlock the door for you.
    You're right Rich. Mine's also a 2000 and I just compared my Valet key to my ignition key. They're identical

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

speedygalant
    mine is different. it's most likely because i have a 2001. i guess you are right on that rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Boi
    The joys of buying your Galant at a used car dealership. I only got one key. That's why I need a replacenment key. Also, should I get a copy of my keyless entry control or should I just go and get a new alarm system?
    i'd go with the alarm. i dunno about the alarm system ur gonna get but with the alarm i had in my galant, when i disarmed it, the doors would unlock and when i armed the car, the doors would lock

Do you guys have recommendations on alarm systems? (Under $400)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Boi
    Do you guys have recommendations on alarm systems? (Under $400)
    DEI makes good alarms. check out ur local alarm shop to see what they offer since most alarms are sold installed. also check out the options on the alarms pertaining to upgrading. like putting in more sensors, the siren, etc etc

speedygalant
    what features are you looking for?

I'm looking for: key-less entry, remote start (if possibly around that price range), and an alarm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast