The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Constant high pitch noise.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Constant high pitch noise.

Hello All,

After a time belt change and waterpump change i'm noticing a high pitch constant sound coming from the car when idling. its soft enough as not to hear inside of the car but when we're outside we can hear it.
    high pitch sort of the sound from monitors when their coming of age. Just wondering if its something to be worried about.

: ) thanks all.

brandon
    I'm guessing the belt might need to be re-tensioned...

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm guessing the belt might need to be re-tensioned...</div>

Sounds like the correct diagnosis! 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm guessing the belt might need to be re-tensioned...</div>

By "re-tensioned", do you mean loosened; because if it is making a whining sound the belt is probably too tight.

brandon
    I mean re-tensioned one way or the other.

Hello guys!

When i mean high pitch i mean like that high pitch sounds that electronic devices sometimes give out....or after u hear a blast... and yr ears go pinggggggggggggggggggg.....
    this pingggggggggggggggggggggggg noise happens at idle.

Belt noise is nastier ...like a scream/skereach (pardon da spelling)....a/c belt, alt belt.

hmm hmmm ... :?

Galant-UNIT(sur_texas)
    i don't know if is the same thing that happend to my cousin, but when he put a system in his car when he rev you could hear a high pitch sound, but the problems was solve by putting a noise bloker, but don't know if you have the same problem.

what is shaft play on a turbo?

That sounds like the noise a pump would make when it's straining. My '88 Buick leaks power steering fluid and when it gets low, the power steering pump starts to make the same noise you are describing. My guess is that there is something going on with the water pump. First check to see that all of your fluids in the car are full. After that, I have no idea. It could still be the belt and the way it's running the water pump.

Hello DangerDan,

Waterpump eh?..hmmm perhaps.. cos i just had mine changed. Could be improper installation.. hmmmm... no signs of temp rising when idle though. The old water pump was causing the temp is rise when idle then drop.
    hmmmm..... the plot tickens.

brandon
    True that... If it's more of a constant low whine, it's most likely a pump. Fuel pump possibly or is it definitely coming from the engine bay?

Hmmmmm...come to think of it was listening to it today.....it seems to be coming from the rear of the car. exhaust perhaps?.. hope it wont blow up on me!!!!

brandon
    That's what I was wondering... if it's coming from the rear it could just be your fuel pump whining.

Do you have a bigger than stock pump?

Hello...

Yup me fuel pumps are as stock as they come. : ) should i be worried about this fuel pump giving out high pitch sounds?...is it the pressure created by the fuel tank ?

by any chance did u replace that belt with the goodyear belt the "gator back" belts? i noticed a sound when my buddy changed his but i could be wrong

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Djayfusion99_es_v6)</div><div class='quotemain'>by any chance did u replace that belt with the goodyear belt the "gator back" belts? i noticed a sound when my buddy changed his but i could be wrong</div>
    Goodyear belt ?. ... heheh all i know is 3 belts. alt belts,drive belts,timing belts and yes all were changed about 900km ago.