The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Let me warn u guys about the MAS.

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Censee

Let me warn u guys about the MAS.

just as a warning to u guys...heres its story time.......along time ago, when i switched the intake on my car i installed it,SES light came on,,wnet off in about a week.....later on after changing the filter a few more times,,,i started messing with the MAS like a dumbass....well i started messing with the honeycomb thingy inside the MAS,,,i was like "wtf is this???might as well take it out"......well after about a few days my car started running like shit,,SES light stayed on,,,,car would stall,shut off,tranny would slip...etc......after about a month of riding with the car like that i looked for the honeycomb,and found it in the garage in terrible condition,well i put whetever was left of the damn thing back in the already dirty ass MAS,,,but the honeycomb was messed up so the car started getting worse and worse...i realized it was that because before that the carw was running fine.....was looking around at a junk for it but never found an 8g.....until one day when the fucking car died on me in the highway......the next day i went to a junkyard and finally found an 2003 8g that barely had 3k miles on it.......and bought a new MAS....changed it,,and finally my car is running great,,,no stalling,slipping,or dying/......ive heard a few of u guys tell me that you guys have tinkered with the MAS aluminum honeycomb,,and im just warning u guys to realize how important that little shit is.....at first i thought nothing was happening to the car...but it did......the damn MAS cost me around 150 bux,,,,at a yard....dealer wanted 500.....and i ordered one on a junkyard in the internet for around 60 bux awhile back and it was in terrible shape,,lokked as if it had been in a car that went underwater...so i decided to pay more but at least see what i was getting....be careful how u treat this thing....i even talked to Mitsu,,,,(i was THAT desperate) and they said something about if the MAS doesnt work properly it can cause the ecu to dump more fuel ,,or sumthing like that,,dont really remember..but it was something like taht......just again,be careful how u play with ure cars,, i learned the hard way

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Now anyone who wants to screw with the honeycombs in the MAS, learn from P its a huge mistake. He came to me with the problem and I had to set him straight with it. If you mess with the MAS just the honeycombs not the screw on it, you are going to screw up the amount of fuel being delievered in the motor. Remember that sensor is used to account for air being brought in to the motor, then the amount of fuel being burned for the air already being accounted for. Once the honeycombs are damaged, it will never known what is right, so it will automatically exspence more fuel thinking your running lean, when your actually rich.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

yea. that honeycomb is really important. im regular people's terms the honeycomb take the air and arranges it so that the MAS can read the air properly. and if it can't read the air properly then that air fuel mixture is gonna be messed up.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yah ;earned that a few years ago. but i got a new one at a junyard but my car still stalls sometimes. so I think I got a defective mas or something?

paco
    I an thinking this might the problem with my car too. I have a 99' 4cyl, are all years of the 8g compatible?? I found several here in town for $50-$100 but they are from 00'-02'. Do you guys think they will work?

Censee
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paco)</div><div class='quotemain'>I an thinking this might the problem with my car too. I have a 99' 4cyl, are all years of the 8g compatible?? I found several here in town for $50-$100 but they are from 00'-02'. Do you guys think they will work?</div>yea i think they will all fit....preferrably look for a 4 cyl too......50 to 100 bux isnt bad at all,being that the dealership asks 500 dollars for it

b-boy_sky
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paco)</div><div class='quotemain'>I an thinking this might the problem with my car too. I have a 99' 4cyl, are all years of the 8g compatible?? I found several here in town for $50-$100 but they are from 00'-02'. Do you guys think they will work?</div>

Now that you mentioned that.....Terry had told me that's why his car wasn't running right. His mas was messed and his fixed it and his car has been running great ever since....

paco
    hey Censee! your car is an 02' right? well.. if your car is an 02' and the sensor that you bought was from an 03' I guess we can think that they are compatible, right??

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    ONLY time yoiu should mess with the MAS should be by adjusting the little screw under it if you are running rich/lean. Dont remove anything from the inside like poor Censee found out. Everything in there is there for a reason.
    7g for life!

paco
    They are all compatible! I got one from an 03' V6 and it worked fine with my car.

Censee
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paco)</div><div class='quotemain'>They are all compatible! I got one from an 03' V6 and it worked fine with my car.</div>
    did ure car run better after u changed it??

paco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Censee)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    did ure car run better after u changed it??</div>

Yes, a lot better!

clone2020
    Yeah, I bought one off ebay for $50 too and it looked like someone dipped it in rusty water.

-MIKE.

Censee
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, I bought one off ebay for $50 too and it looked like someone dipped it in rusty water.

-MIKE.</div>i remember someone who ran a business like that of a junkyard told me that the shit he cant sell locally he sells on ebay and websites and stuff like that........most of the things on sites and on ebay are fucked up he said......and with my past experiences with junkyards on the net,,i agree

clone2020
    WHAT!?!?!?!?!

DAMN IT!!! THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

-MIKE.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    The "honeycombs" on the MAS act as a air flow regulator. For analogy sake...its like your porch screen door. On a windy day compare the air flow when you open the screen door is close compared to when its open. Yes...you would think the more air flow the better for the motor, but the sensor filament isn't designed to read that much air flow coming in. It was design to calculate the regulated air flow the "honeycombs" are creating. Once you remove that purpose of that design..the filament will be giving incorrect and in accurate signals to the ECU where it doesn't calculate the corrent air/fuel mixture and other vital engine data to operate it correctly. Some ignorant people (No offense intended) will tell you the "honeycomb" acts like a filter...but the air filter wether it may be the OEM in the factory air box or a intake cone filter...I doubt any large debris is going to pass through it unless its severely damaged.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Some ignorant people (No offense intended) will tell you the "honeycomb" acts like a filter...but the air filter wether it may be the OEM in the factory air box or a intake cone filter...I doubt any large debris is going to pass through it unless its severely damaged.
    hahaha that has happened to me before. the stupid guys that were putting my car back together at the body shop put my air filter on upside down so all the small leaves and stuff blew into the intake. then it clogged up the honeycombs giving me a nice SES light to fix. cleared up the honeycombs, fixed the air filter, and i was good to go.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.