The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2000 gs engine+5 speed trany swap

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    99Galant5

2000 gs engine+5 speed trany swap

I have an opertunity to get an salvaged 2000 eclipse for around 400
    it only hase 25000miles on it and it the engine and 5 speed trany seem to be good.
    Now i was wondering could i just take the engine out with the trany and drop it into my car? I'm have read a big amount of threads and i know how the tranny swap would work but how about the engine are they all the same conectors? or do the eclipses have something on theyr 4g64 that we dont have. In the 2000+ eclipses if i'm not mistaking have also an knock sensor and i'm not sure if we do. How about the ECU? Are they diferent i found my ECU in the center consols that is inbetwen the pasenger and driverside legs space but it only hase one conector so i dont think that that is the ecu. but please let me know where the ECU is located and how would i change the whole engine and the tranny.

01GalantLSV6
    the motor and tranny would bolt up but its very time consuming, ask brian he told me it was not something you should try for the first time if you dont have alot of experience. my question is why do you want to swap the motor? did you blow your 4g64? if you didnt...there is no reason to..

99Galant5
    well my engine is coming closer to 80k and it sems real slow to so i figured with out taking the whole thing apart just swaping the whole thing would be much easier.

b-boy_sky
    Swap out the tranny, sell the new engine and rebuild your own....

go find a speed shop and ask them what the install will cost.

99Galant5
    Well i will probebly have 2 weeks downtimefor the holidays coming up. So i would like to do it myself i mean 2 weeks should be plenty of time to do the swap even for the someone like me

swap in the eclipse motor and tranny then build up your old motor outside of the car or just build up the eclipse motor and then swap it in trust me it makes alot more sense to build a motor out of the car than it does while it inside and swaping a motor isnt really that hard as long as your organized and have the right tools good luck man
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Me and my boy swapped his motor out in the driveway, it tooks us 9hours to do it, but we had the right tools. Ohhh and by the way I have done 3, 5 speed swaps already, all successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

Re: 2000 gs engine+5 speed trany swap

[quote="99Galant5"]I have an opertunity to get an salvaged 2000 eclipse for around 400
    it only hase 25000miles on it and it the engine and 5 speed trany seem to be good.
    Now i was wondering could i just take the engine out with the trany and drop it into my car? I'm have read a big amount of threads and i know how the tranny swap would work but how about the engine are they all the same conectors? or do the eclipses have something on theyr 4g64 that we dont have. In the 2000+ eclipses if i'm not mistaking have also an knock sensor and i'm not sure if we do. How about the ECU? Are they diferent i found my ECU in the center consols that is inbetwen the pasenger and driverside legs space but it only hase one conector so i dont think that that is the ecu. but please let me know where the ECU is located and how would i change the whole engine and the tranny.[/quote

That piece your refering too is not the ECU, dont swap motors just do the tranny swap and leave the ECU alone, the part you were referring to is the Airbag control module, reconnect it and slowly back away.....
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

hey stewi, mayb u could help me out w/ my 5 speed swap
    on a 7G if u had 3 success on your belt with swapping
    transmissions

99Galant5
    well galant95 on galantspeed.com i remeber seeing and turtorial for the 7g auto to manual
    it hase some good pictures you might want to chek it out

Faction
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    Me and my boy swapped his motor out in the driveway, it tooks us 9hours to do it, but we had the right tools. Ohhh and by the way I have done 3, 5 speed swaps already, all successful.
    I've never seen any of your swap pictures. Yet you claim to have done it 3 times?

v6

with the V6 you need the eclipse ecu right? do u have to pull the motor to get the tranny out or can u drop it out the bottom? I dont know much about fwd trannys. I took a tranny engine class for a year and it didnt help to much

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faction)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I've never seen any of your swap pictures. Yet you claim to have done it 3 times?</div>

I've seen one of his swaps in person, they are out there.. but I also understand where your coming from where you have to see evidence in order to believe it..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atx)</div><div class='quotemain'>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------with the V6 you need the eclipse ecu right? do u have to pull the motor to get the tranny out or can u drop it out the bottom? I dont know much about fwd trannys. I took a tranny engine class for a year and it didnt help to much </div>

The motor does not have to come out, just supported due to two of the four mounts are are on the trans alone. Its really not necessary just a recommendation, I've dropped a few trans without having to support the motor but hey its all pain anyway..

Fiyaharms
    I personally would swap the tranny, and the money and or time that you're going to use on swapping the engine, user that toward building up the extra engine.

01GalantLSV6
    ive seen all 3 of brians swaps. all were succesful and very much real.

99Galant5 If you're not gonna use at least the engine let me know k. I might be needing it.
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org