The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tranny swap, stewi hlp !!!!!

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    01rbuild

tranny swap, stewi hlp !!!!!

there is a sticky on 7g board

what r the differences, tricks, advise etc on a 8g

please need help i get my tranny in a couple of days.

anyone in miami interested on helping FREE BEER!!!!

datdude305
    when i do mine can u help me out

BTW i wish i could be there but damn restrictions wont let me :oops:

01rbuild
    ofcourse.....restrictions ? hummm like in jail stuff?.....

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    What do you need to know about doing the 5 speed swap, i've done it 3 times already.......
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

01rbuild
    omg stewi i was looking 4 u i have 3 pics from album on gs site

1>do 8 gs have center ring thing on motor that i have to remove with heat and a lot of patiance?

2>do i need wire harnes from donor? how do i attach to 8g wire harness?

3>7g need to replace motor mounts, 8g?

4>starter, do i need to do the relay thing?

5>my first time, whats the easyest way to mount?
    jack up the car, jack up the tranny unscrew, lower tranny, how to lift new tranny? what is holding motor in place? really need help on that one

6>how to fool the ecu set it on neutral? how is that accomplished.
    i turn on set it on neutral, turn off, take of battery and start work?

and thanks 4 asking i really needed it.

datdude305
    restrictions lik licsence went buh bye and i dont get that till the 13 of dec 2 fing days after the hin meet :cry:

plus if its a daytime thing skool would get in the way and i was skiping when i lost the licscence the first time so not doing that agin :oops:

:idea: unless wut day is this going down exactly :twisted:

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by 01rbuild
    omg stewi i was looking 4 u i have 3 pics from album on gs site

1>do 8 gs have center ring thing on motor that i have to remove with heat and a lot of patiance?

2>do i need wire harnes from donor? how do i attach to 8g wire harness?

3>7g need to replace motor mounts, 8g?

4>starter, do i need to do the relay thing?

5>my first time, whats the easyest way to mount?
    jack up the car, jack up the tranny unscrew, lower tranny, how to lift new tranny? what is holding motor in place? really need help on that one

6>how to fool the ecu set it on neutral? how is that accomplished.
    i turn on set it on neutral, turn off, take of battery and start work?

and thanks 4 asking i really needed it.

saw this first and i did my swap w/ the help of stewi so ill go ahead and answer these

1. ask stewi.. lol

2. u dont need the wiring harness from the 3g , the only thing that would do is give u the reverse lights which is waaay to much work for what yer gettting, IMO

3. u need to replace the tranny mount (driver side of enginebay next to the batterytray and behind the fuse box) use the mount from the tranny ...now there is a trick to this because i dont know which car it is but one of the cars uses a diff mount (stratus and eclipse)...my tranny came out of an eclipse and the mount work'd perfectly...stewi may be able to shed a little more light on this too

4. u need not do anything to the starter

5. i had the front of the g on jack stands, rear motormount and trannymount removed and motor chained to engine hoist (for raising or lowering), but yea lower the motor, and take the tranny off...cant remember how many bolts there were...u can tell which ones they are (tranny to block)...also im forgetting a part...stewi will help w/ that (dont u hate what u know what yer trying to say but u cant put it in words lol)

6. there is a gear selector on the auto tranny (looks like a mix between a half moon and a triangle lol sorry im no9t good w/ descriptions..ull know hwat im talkin about when u see it)...this must stay connected to the harness,without it u cant start the car....trust me lol...u pretty much need to click thru the selector until u find neutral then the car will start (have one person in the car trying to turn it over and one person workin the gear selector)

any more questions ill be glad to help...im sure B will be here to critique me sum time soon j/k bro

01rbuild
    i appreciate the help!

1>i mean the auto tranny spacer!

2>if i want reverse lights i have to get harness....i want to!
    3> so i need a mount just 1 tho right.
    4>owsome
    5>so jack up the car lower the motor and tranny swap tranny and jack up motor and tranny again, A OK!
    6>yes i know the part u taking about, i need more detail on that!

thanks again!

STEWI!!!!!!!!

Xska55
    if your gonna go with an aftermarket flywheel then yes take out that spacer cause the flywheel will never sit correctly, i remeber stewi never took his out but he also used the stock flywheel

1)from what i was askin stwei there is no space on the 8G galant so your clear of that pain in the ass.
    5) before you jack up the car be sure to loosen your axle nuts and lug nuts then you what to jack it up. start with draining fulids dissconnection tranny sensors then move on to takeing out the axles ( i found using a big chizel works best) from the take off torque converter to flex plate bolts then tranny to motor. support mottor with jack (also for tranny) remove mounts pry off drop.
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

8ggalant
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xska55)</div><div class='quotemain'>if your gonna go with an aftermarket flywheel then yes take out that spacer cause the flywheel will never sit correctly, i remeber stewi never took his out but he also used the stock flywheel</div>

i took it out and im still usint he stock flywheel

8ggalant
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'>1)from what i was askin stwei there is no space on the 8G galant so your clear of that pain in the ass. </div>

???????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'> 5) before you jack up the car be sure to loosen your axle nuts and lug nuts then you what to jack it up. start with draining fulids dissconnection tranny sensors then move on to takeing out the axles ( i found using a big chizel works best) Â*from the take off torque converter to flex plate bolts then tranny to motor. support mottor with jack (also for tranny) remove mounts pry off drop.</div>

i didnt mention this cuz i figured it was common sense but yer right...i probly should have typed it out