The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: APC air breathers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 25 of 25
    Big H Killa
    Dave how can you say the mod is worthless if more air is coming in that the mass can't detect. If you're to lean then it helps like me. But if your to rich then it's just gonna make your richer. Then it wouldn't be worth it. But it doesn't let any air leak out of the filter. Plus it does give it a little bit more kick. If you don't believe me then go try it out for your self and then you'll see.

Tiptronic
    hell, i just thought it looked cooler than with the hose.
    in any case, dont you want to keep the tube and throttle body clean though

Quote Originally Posted by hourglass113
    hell, i just thought it looked cooler than with the hose.
    in any case, dont you want to keep the tube and throttle body clean though
    The throttle body is gonna get dirty regardless, from Unburned hydrocarbons and such... As far as the breathers go, If your car is too lean, how can putting a breather filter on the intake make it run richer? It's actually letting more air in, hence leaner. The system is designed to route those gassses and such through the intake where they're burned and released as non pollutants. I still don't see what purpose they serve like Dave said, unless you have a turbo. They don't even look that good. Plus all the gasses and oil are going to blow right out the filter on your engine instead of into the intake.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

I can attest to that mess Chip, lol. I have oil all over my stuff and if it was more conductive like water, I would have been shortening my distributor harness as the plug was soaked. I can also attest to controlled air into the intake is ok but any leaks and you will get rough idling and totally mess up your ECU and throw an SES light. I had a leak in the intake and thought it was my O2 sensors at first. Any unaccounted for air is going to do weird things and would recommend against it.

For those of you who have no clue to what the purpose of having the vacuum tubes there to begin with, here's some food for thought before you put breathers all over the place. http://www.autoshop-online.com/auto101/exh.html look half way down the page regarding "PCV". Also, in theory, the vacuum from the side of the PCV valve is supposed to keep the flow going from the intake tube to the valve cover through the PCV and into the intake right next to the first or second cylinder (I forgot which bank frt or rear) in my case (V6).

And in reality, the exhaust does leak back up through the intake so if you ever look behind the butterfly valve in the TB all the way through the rest of the intake plenum behind it up to the engine block, it's filthy as hell anyway. Bottomline is, you have to decide if a dirty externals are better than dirty internal, lol. Both has it's pluses and minuses.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Big H Killa
    Hmm well let me read this thing you posted here TJC. I really haven't noticed anything bad come from it yet. I haven't had anything like rough ideling or anything like that yet. I haven't seen anything getting hotter either. It actually seems like things have been running smother, and It seems like I'm getting better gas mileage since I've put it on but I can't definetly tell you yet I'm gonna have to watch everything and I'll let you guys know then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12