The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4G63 , is it WORTH the SWAP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 54
    TGC Regular
    All I know is what my friends told me , I wasnt even considering an engine swap until he told me what I could gain with a 4g63t..

For someone that knows all this information its easy to comprehend , but I'm not clear on it still..
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

technically as long as he realizes all new motor mounts have to be made then it should be no problem...or just as much as a problem the evo swap is. Now think about it...a evo 8 motor/trans will run you maybe 4k where as a dsm 4g63t clip can be purchased for 2100 (maryland price) you shave 1900 already. That 1900 can go towards the motor mounts. Then you can sell all the misc crap from the front clip to recoop some of the financial damage!

At least the 4g63t has a fwd trans at its desposal! right..

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you are thinking about swapping in a USDM 4g63t, then just stop what you are doing right now. Drive down to the dealer, trade in your 8g, buy a used turbo 1g/2g. Thats the only way you will cheaply use a 4g63t...

If you still want to swap in a USDM 4g63t into your galant, then theres a lot to think about. Custom axles, custom mounts(very difficult, not a job for the average joe), custom ic piping(either way you will need), your just asking for too many problems and too much time/effort/money.

If you want to do a swap, do an EVO 4-8 4g63t swap or v6 swap. I dont care if your buddy has a slew of 4g63ts sitting around, every junkyard does. I believe a USDM swap is above your level. Heck I wouldnt even try to attempt it(not saying much).

BTW, I got my JDM EVO 3 4g63t equipped with the killer 16g and 510cc injectors for $1600 shipped...
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    Seth
    "If you still want to swap in a USDM 4g63t into your galant, then theres a lot to think about. Custom axles, custom mounts"

Your saying there.. I would need those two things customized..no matter what..Also ,

"BTW, I got my JDM EVO 3 4g63t equipped with the killer 16g and 510cc injectors for $1600 shipped..."

Where did you get that from

Mante: depending on how much these motor mounts would be.. I could still be looking at 3G..which in that case , im back to square one with you on a SDS LOL
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan
    Mante: depending on how much these motor mounts would be.. I could still be looking at 3G..which in that case , im back to square one with you on a SDS LOL

thats my point man...w/all the money yer gonna spend customizing stuff yer gonna go over the price of hte sds...i mean id like to be proved wrong but i doubt it...im all about being different...(why do u think i stuck my neck out an got this oem hood OFF EBAY that no one trusted...of the cf trunk that no one thought would fit at first)...but u seem like a guy thats on a budget..in which a swap that would need this much customization is not gonna be in your best interest IMHO...

and b...as far as boilting in its a direct drop....but like u said he is gonna need a 3g eclipse 5spd + a TON of extras...I say save up for the sds...unlesss u got CRAZY HOOK UPS w/ peeple who do welding and fabrications...good luck mayn...im not tryin to put yer idea down...just tryin to inform u of everything i can( and state my opinion cuz hell...thats what forums are for lol )

TGC Regular
    Thanks for your input 8G:) Should I just start out with 5spd swap and work my way up slowly..?
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

Thanks for your input 8G:) Should I just start out with 5spd swap and work my way up slowly..?
    thats what im starting to do, as well as looking for turbo parts 8)

8ggalant
    if yer goin the sds route id keep the auto...heres my reason...i contacted ross @ rippmods and he said that u would need to have the 5spd computer if u swap the tranny (i guess the auto and 5spd are a different tune)...but there is light @ the end of the tunnel....on of our NY members didnt use the 5spd computer and he had no troubles w/ the sds (using his auto ecu)

so unless yer die hard 5spd (like me ) then i say keep yer auto...i couldnt stand the auto so i got rid of it....its all up to u

but saving up money is the biggest thing...power cost money

Quote Originally Posted by 8ggalant
    but u seem like a guy thats on a budget..in which a swap that would need this much customization is not gonna be in your best interest IMHO...
    Listen to 8g, that sentence is worth 1,000 words. Any engine swap is going to run you some money, and if your on a budget, I would say go a diff route.
    Mike

We can all agree that the most expensive aspect of the 4g63t swap would be having the mounts welded to the frame of the car right? Well what if I said I had someone that would do the welding that is known for his welding ability and who likes to take on custom jobs...Kev you know I have hook ups

Aside from axles which in my opinion arent that hard to come by what would be the next obsticle? I/C piping isnt considered an obsticle becuase for hte time being you can use the 2gen side mount i/c or call up jc whitney for a few U bends and other parts...

Ecu's I believe the 2gen usues the same pin layout where as the 1st gen is completely different Now if they keep the auto trans then thats one problem out of the way (no clutch install)

I know for sure don wouldnt be doing this but I want to get every compliant about the 4g63T swap out in the open...again All in all it is so much easier to just purchase the SDS or a wrecked Vr4

TGC Regular
    8g: Well thats my MAIN reason for the swap.. I fucking hate automatic , stupid bullshit , that damn stupid ugly stick makes me SICK! lol.. I want that "move around , jiggle to tell ur in neutral feel" LOL...

Mante: SDS , is the best option for the most simplest install, they cost about 3500 right.. and direct bolt on I hear , please correct me. Also , which tranny would I use for just a 5spd swap?.. was it 1g 'clipse? Since this is true " but there is light @ the end of the tunnel....on of our NY members didnt use the 5spd computer and he had no troubles w/ the sds (using his auto ecu)" , as far as what 8G said I could use my own.. ecu..so it wouldnt be that hard would it, for a simple tranny swap.
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

8ggalant
    if yer gonna keep yer stock motor (or even if u did the evo swap) yer gonna need a tranny from a 3rd gen eclipse 4cly(and im pretty sure the stratus 4cyl 5spd tranny will work too)

TGC Regular
    Thanks.. Im clear on that one..
    a third gen eclipse 5spd tranny or one from a stratus 00 and above?

sounds good , and all the other things that come wit the 5spd swap
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

I hope you realize now that the USDM 4g63t swap is out of your grasp(out of Every 8g owners grasp for that matter). If you want to do an engine swap, stick with either the EVO 4-8 4g63t or 6a13tt from the 8g vr4.

You are doing a good thing by starting off small. The 5spd swap is a very good mod. BTW, do you have a v6 or i4?
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>I hope you realize now that the USDM 4g63t swap is out of your grasp(out of Every 8g owners grasp for that matter). Â*If you want to do an engine swap, stick with either the EVO 4-8 4g63t or 6a13tt from the 8g vr4. Â*

You are doing a good thing by starting off small. Â*The 5spd swap is a very good mod. Â*BTW, do you have a v6 or i4?</div>

I have i4...why you going to give me a parts list? for the 5spd swap.
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

Parts list should be very similar to the 7g parts list I posted. Have 8ggalant make up a list. He has done the swap and can tell you waht you need and what you dont need. Dont you have to swap ECUs with the 8g 5spd swap? Arent the auto tcu and ecu one in the same? How does that work? I know on 7g we have a seperate TCU and ECU so we just toss the TCU when swapping...
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    Thanks Seth

Alright 8G Do your magic
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

8ggalant
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Donovan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks Seth

Alright 8G Do your magic</div>

*SIGH*

Try to get all this stuff from the same car/yard it will be easier and u may get a package deal.
    U'll need:

Tranny (of course)
    Clutch
    Flywheel (flywheel bolts)
    tranny mount (from an eclipse...the stratus mount wont work)
    shifter assymbly
    shifter cables and brackets
    slave cylinder
    master cylinder
    clutch pedal
    and if u want the brake pedal (u can mod yer stock break pedal but since i had the one from the 5spd i used it).

That should be it...cant think of anything else...if i think of sumthing ill post it here.

You may or may not need your flywheel resurfaced...i didnt but did it anyway..it cost me like 20 or 30 bucks...cant remember.
    Also i got a clutch replacement kit (clutch cover, disk, and alignment tool) from a 2nd gen GST...is not act 2100 or better but it holds more than our (3g eclipse) stock clutch would...also my stock clutch that came w/ the tranny was in EXCELLENT conditon...so if u want it/need it when u do yer swap ill let it go for CHEAP. Also i got my replacement clutch kit from www.clutchcityonline.com or clutchcity.com sumthin like that.....
    Any more?'s let me kno

there's a i4 3g here in the junk yard in southern maryland. it should have everything you need for the swap. the only thing that worries me is that the engine and tranny are still sitting in the car meaning 1 of them doesn't work. but yea the stuff like the mounts, shifter assembly the master and slave cylinders, they're all there.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Proto
    Which junkyard?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast