The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Just how hard is it to 'upgrade' a turbo?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Experienced TGC Member

Just how hard is it to 'upgrade' a turbo?

My friend has a 2nd Gen GST. He's under the impression that he can slap on a 20G and call it a day...im completly serious. Now he seems to think that he knows quite a lot about turbos since he reads dsmtuners so much. He doesn't even know how to read a compressor map (nor do I for that matter, but this isn't about me).

Now am I correct in assuming that upgrading a turbo is NOT a simple matter? I been trying to get him to understand that it would be better if he learned more about turbos. But he also seems to think that he doesn't need to know everything about turbos to slap on a big turbo. He says that 99% of people who upgrade their turbos don't know much about them.

It's quite frustrating really. So can anyone confirm this? Or is it easy enough for someone whos most advanced mod is an intake to do? Also I should point out that his car is almost totaly stock.

8G_GTZ
    i'd get a new manifold, downpipe and/or full exhaust for that matter, fuel pump, larger injectors, plugs, wires, and some sort of air/fuel tuning device. hopefully i hit the main parts. upgrading that large is a pretty big step. hopefully he understands that it's not just a turbo that needs the upgrade.

steve

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If he is such an avid reader of DSMTuners then why has he never come across this:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/2gturbo/

You can just "slap on" a 20g if you want, you wont see a huge gain from it though. If he doesnt have any supporting mods, upgrading to a bigger turbo will only cause bad things. If he wants to upgrade turbos have him buy a used 14b, install kit, MBC, and boost gauge. He will probably see bigger gains with this then a 20g and no supporting mods...
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun7g
    i'd get a new manifold, downpipe and/or full exhaust for that matter, fuel pump, larger injectors, plugs, wires, and some sort of air/fuel tuning device. hopefully i hit the main parts. upgrading that large is a pretty big step. hopefully he understands that it's not just a turbo that needs the upgrade.

steve
    Ya he understands that he needs all those, though whether he actually knows it is another question (I dont think he really thinks about all the steps leading up to it).

So is it possible for someone who doesn't know the fundementals, to succesfuly install a new turbo? His knowledge has mostly come from howstuffworks.com and the forums. Both of which are helpful...but dont really go into details of the inner workings.

Basicly how much knowledge is required to do a turbo swap?

8G_GTZ
    i've had hands on experience with many turbo installs on a variety of cars. i do learn by reading from the internet, but mostly from trial and error. but once you get the basic understanding of something, it isn't too hard to figure out.

steve

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun7g
    i've had hands on experience with many turbo installs on a variety of cars. i do learn by reading from the internet, but mostly from trial and error. but once you get the basic understanding of something, it isn't too hard to figure out.

steve
    How much knowledge did you have before your first turbo install (by yourself I mean - no help from experts)?

8G_GTZ
    out of 10, prolly a 6-7. i read up enough. in school, all i even think about is cars, i know it sounds off topic, but i did. in a class that i had a computer in, i'd be lookin at cars, mostly turbo. if i felt i didn't know something before i installed a part on a turbo application, i'd ask someone who i thought would know. he just needs to make sure he knows whats goin on before he does anything. if he doesn't know/understand something, he NEEDS to ask.

steve

8ggalant
    most turbos come w/ install kits..if your friend is well read then im sure he could figure it out....it really isnt that difficult (IF he's as well read as u say and has done his homework)...i mean i would recommend a beginner do this but it seriously isnt that difficult (in other words a WELL READ beginner could do it)

@ least he has friends like u that r lookin out for him tho...i know a few guys that are like "yea , ok" when i told them i was gonna do sumthing which i had no experiance w/ (tranny swap), but w/ the help of a few local friends and one long distance (thanks ..it got done so no that im done rambling...im pretty sure yer friend can do it lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    ah, poor ashwin

truth of the matter is, nothing that major (i.e. tranny swap, turbo swap, motor swap, head, etc etc) is EVER as easy as a tutorial says it is online. my tranny swap was a nightmare, despite the tutorials saying "oh, loosen this bolt, and (insert item here) will fall right out!"

BULLSHIT. ^

i dont know shit about turbos, but i assume there's more to it than just a replacement. i remember he showed me this article about a new turbo for 2Gs that used a T25 housing, but it was able to produce a ton more boost at completely stable levels. the article even discussed how "bolt-on" friendly it was. just slap it on, few other things, and go.

i'd think with a new turbo he'd need a piggyback or an S-AFC at least, and talk about much money needed
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

01GalantLSV6
    i helped a friend install a used larger garret turbo on his 2003 GTI 1.8t. the thing bolted right up, took us about a full day to complete (12 noon till about 7pm). the only thing he needed to upgrade was fuel delivery. and i know that german cars, namely VW, are far more difficult to work on then DSMs, so that should be encouraging. on another note, he now has an exhaust leak and needs to have his headers rewelded, but until that the car ran fast. so who knows if that was the fault of us or not, but even the simple install resulted in a problem, albeit not a huge one (if it does indeed turn out to be a header leak, if not hes got a whole enw set of problems which probably wont be good)

Experienced TGC Member
    Guys thanks a bunch for your replys. I didnt realize how WRONG i was. LoL shogun8g went ahead and showed my buddy this thread. My buddy didnt take kindly to my post, though now all is good.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, i would think replacing a turbo on a turbo car with a mostly identical turbo would be a simple replacement job.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    It only goes on one way
    7g for life!