The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Drum to Disk Question

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 59

Rear Drum to Disk Question

Hey guys i know you have had this asked but i want to know something,

1st which car model can i use its rear brakes, without changing my lug pattern to a 5 lug nuts?, i have heard that the 94-97 accord 4cly can be used as a donator also the 88-90 240sx can also be used.
    2nd what will i need from a donor car other than tha caliper and the brake disk?
    3rd can this be done without drasticly changing my rear?

Any input is greatly appreciated
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

Re: Rear Drum to Disk Question

Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    1st which car model can i use its rear brakes, without changing my lug pattern to a 5 lug nuts
    the 7g GS has a 4 lug pattern and has the rear discs

i have heard that the 94-97 accord 4cly can be used as a donator also the 88-90 240sx can also be used.
    where'd u get that from??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i dont remember who told me that they would fit since the accord and the 240sx both have the same lug pattern, i think its 4 by114 or something like that

Not sure what else you need for the conversion, but you'll definitely need to get a hold of the rear hub kit off the 94 gs, then the rotors will bolt right on. This would probably be the cheaper route than a 5 lug conversion.

i dont remember who told me that they would fit since the accord and the 240sx both have the same lug pattern, i think its 4 by114 or something like that
    lug pattern is one thing. but then the size of the rotor, the size of the caliper, the mounting points for the various parts is another and i am 100% positive none of that stuff will fit without some kinda modification/fabrication

ok thanks pinoyesv6.

Now i have one question where can i get the rear brake system from the 7th GS here in the US.

the GS is a "limited edition" model. so finding used parts can be hard to find. many people convert to the 5 lug pattern because the eclipse parts are much more easier to find and cheaper. also, there is a bigger market for the 5x4.5" bolt pattern than there is for the 4x4.5" bolt pattern wheels

Mindless
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    lug pattern is one thing. but then the size of the rotor, the size of the caliper, the mounting points for the various parts is another and i am 100% positive none of that stuff will fit without some kinda modification/fabrication
    Exactly.

But, if you already have rims and tires for your car now, converting to 5 lug means new ones.

ok thanks pinoyesv6.

Now i have one question where can i get the rear brake system from the 7th GS here in the US.

Try car-parts.com, unless your local junk yard has one. Mine doesn't.

well. if you are really serious about braking, you'd convert to a 5 lug pattern anyways. the eclipse has a much larger market for peformance brakes than the 4 lug eclipse does. not only do you have a bigger selection of oem sized rotors but you can also upgrade to a big brake kit, bigger rotors, maybe better calipers the works.

and whats so bad about getting new wheels?? you can always sell the old ones...

or if you're lucky, you can get the same wheel as you have now and get 4 lug in the front and 5 lug in the back. i mean if you want to be all cheap about it.

face it. finding a used GS to get parts from is hard enough. try finding one that doesn't have rear end damage and that you can use the parts off of. you can always get new parts from the dealer. but you know the dealer...i mean i was just at the junk yard yesterday looking for a 7g with a 5spd. out of the dozens of 7g's that they had, not a single one had a 5 spd. and yea, we all know the 5spd 7g is more common than the GS.

ok guys

now the new questions are these

1st What will i need from a donor eclipse to convert my whole brake system?
    2nd Which eclipse generation will work better for my convertion?

3rd Around how much will it cost me to convert to 5 lug nut pattern?

4th and last will it be hard to do the convertion?

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>well. if you are really serious about braking, you'd convert to a 5 lug pattern anyways. the eclipse has a much larger market for peformance brakes than the 4 lug eclipse does. not only do you have a bigger selection of oem sized rotors but you can also upgrade to a big brake kit, bigger rotors, maybe better calipers the works.</div>
    In my research, I found that most of the eclipse stuff works fine as long as you have them give you 4 lug rotors instead of the 5 lug. I'm running a Baer 2-piston 13.1" big brake right now. I could've gotten the 4-piston, but it was just soooo expensive in comparison.

The brake lines are identical to the same gen eclipse (same mitsu part number), and the brackets and hardware bolted on perfectly. I know when I go all discs, I'll just eat the cost and get new 4 lug hubs from wherever instead of trying to change everything to 5-lug. It'll probably be the same cost in parts the end. But the labor would be a lot more for the 5 lug conversion. I wouldn't want to mess with the front hub assembly. That wouldn't be fun.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i see why people get frustrated with newbie's who are too lazy to look at older post before they ask questions. If you check the other drum to disk post you'll find everything you just asked already answerd about 2 months ago, parts list, price list... as i always say

"If you open your eyes when you look for something, you'll probably find it."

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...er=asc&start=25

look about half way down the post

Experienced TGC Member
    My eyes have been open looking for a GS for a couple years and I dont think they exist..I think the poeple who claim to own one on this board obviously have some form of dyslexia where the ES appears to be a GS :laughing:
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

hahah Jip, funny thing is i know what you mean, about the GS. Before this summer it seemed like i would never find an manual g, but i did. Funny thing was i was looking for a 2g eclipse. So my advise would be go to the junkyard looking for something else, and be prepared to find what you weren't looking for.

"Keep hope alive!!!"

Experienced TGC Member
    manual?? GS is DOHC 4g64 they made like 10 of them lol

Anyway...the question is (cause i dont remmeber) are the mounting points for the calipers on the hub or on the knuckle..if its on the hub then its allll simple.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

the mounting points for the calipers are on the backing plate, you have to replace the backing plate from the drum to the backing plate for the rotors. In all four bolts for the backing plate, and 2 bolts for the calipers. I think that's what your asking for...

And i think it was a 95 "S" i found at the jy. It wasn't DOHC, or i would have tried to pull that too. The car didn't have any extras at all.

This view will give you an idea of where the bolts are. might help clear a few things up.
    Got the pics from this sight,
    http://4g64.150m.com/rearbrakeconv.html
    (which happens to be in the first 3 post of the other drum to disk post)

SamirDarji
    In that swap that you got the picture from, it looks like he left the drum shoes and brake assembly in place. :shock: That's kinda weird.

If someone has a 94 FSM, we need to see the rear brake assembly for disc and drum. I'll compare the drum to the FSM for my 96 to see if there are any changes. From there it'll be easy to see what exactly needs to be changed to make the drum to disc easy just using 94 GS parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast