The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Drum to Disk Question

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 59 of 59
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i'll take some but i don't have a place to post them.

SamirDarji
    I'll host them. FTP them to my server at pics.huntsvillecarscene.com login/password upload/upload. Let me know when you've upped them and I'll move them to your own web server directory.

You'll be able to access the pictures at http://pics.huntsvillecarscene.com/events/blueice

finally got pics taken, but i can't get the thread open, i'm not the most ftp experienced person out there.

help needed. I am doing this for the first time so bear with me. I'm trying to get the front hub assembly off. I have every bolt visible out of the knuckle and there is nothing visible holding the hub assembly on. Axle nut is removed too. no calipers or rotors, The hub assembly is "naked."
    I can't get this thing off for shit.
    Is there a special tool i need?
    Keep in mind i'm trying to do this without removing the entire knuckle the hub is attached too.

here is the deal. i just replaced the bearing/hub assembly on my 94 GS friday, don't hammer at the bearing what ever you do. if you got the four bolts out that hold the assembly in place, and it won't pull out. its because the assembly is rusted/siezed in place, and it is a bitch to get out. if you haven't taken the knuckle assembly off yet, do it now.
    then, you are going to have to lay the bare assembly on the ground, lug side down. then spray a shitload of pb blaster or some other type of penetrating lubericant all arount where the knuckle meets the bearing. make a puddle and let it soak for an hour or so. then get the four bolts that you removed, tread them in place, just until they are flush on hub side of the spindle. DO NOT SCREW THEM IN ALL THE WAY. there should be a slight gap under the head of the bolt on hte bearing side.
    now while standing up, in one hand hold the knuckle by the long bar that normally extends to the upper control arm; in the other hand, get a friggin hammer, and pound the hammer on each bolt over and over, in a clockwise order, tapping each bolt, so that the spindle seperates evenly. as you do this, you should be able to see the hub assembly seperating from the knuckle on the other side. as the bolts bottom out, back them out, and repeat the hammering as forementioned. then repeat until you have removed the bearing.
    after it is out make sure to take some fine sand paper and smooth out the bore of the knuckle to remove the rust, and coat it with some grease so this doesn't happen again. do the same with the part of the spindle that slides into the knuckel on the new bearing.
    you might screw up the bolt heads when you hammer them, so try to hit them dead on. i beat the hell out of them and mine were fine, so just be careful.
    and wear some earplugs or you will regret it in a couple of years

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i tried to do it without pulling the knuckle too. but, its really not possible. just pull the knucle, if you can't seperate the upper ball joint, i just put a block of wood btween the fenterwell and the upper control arm, then jack up on the knuckle then you can back the nut off without the ball joint turning. this will work for all of the ball joints.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

oh i took the knuckle off, and took it to a local shop around the corner. They used a press to get it out. (free) He said i would have never gotten out trying to hammer it. Once i got it out i sanded it, and the new hub drops right in.

oh i took the knuckle off, and took it to a local shop around the corner. They used a press to get it out. (free) He said i would have never gotten out trying to hammer it. Once i got it out i sanded it, and the new hub drops right in.

hey guys what do yall think about this junkyard charging me $400 dollars for the whole eclipse brake system

also DOHCSTUNR and SamirDarji do yall have any pics to show
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

What do you mean by "whole". as in all four calipers, rotors. First off you wouldn't need the front, just the rear. And if it's $400 for just the rear, they are probably charging you because it's an Eclipse.

That's a no go for used parts, you could get new or remanufactured parts for almost the same price.

Advanced auto has calipers for $50 with core trade, but that doesn't include the mount, You'd have to go to a JY for those.

"Edit" I originally said the 1g mounts would fit. Actually they don't fit, they use smaller caliper mounting bolts.

Progress Report:

Well my upper A arm had stripped threads, and the lower lateral arm ball joint was jacked, so i went to the JY and got both from a 95 for $40 each. Now since i'll be replacing both of those i guess i'll clean and paint them as well.

If it isn't one thing it's another, in trying to get the lower lateral arm off, one of the bolts broke. Now i gotta get that dam thing out

Get the new lock nuts today, and should be able to get one side done
    still taking pics

when i removed one of my lateral arms, the bolt broke deep inside. i had a bodyshop weld a stud into it so it could be fasted with a nut.

i guess it's actually called the compression arm. I tried drilling it out, but wasn't too successful. Probably take to a local shop, have them fix it. Other than the arm i was able to get everything on the left front put back together.

Dam it looks nice. :approve:

i wont be needing the front calipers from the eclipse the galant ones will work perfect all i need in the front is the mounting braket that i will get off the eclipse in order to change to 5 lug nut pattern, also for the rear all i will need then will be the mounting braket and the caliper because i plan on buying from ebay the whole drilled slotted brake disk system.

They are charging me $400 for the whole axle basically including disk rotor, caliper, braket, and everything in it.

and blue ice pleaseeeeee i want to see those pics of how it all came out, u dont know how much that means to me, its a do it or dont do it deal

ok you're doing 4 to 5 lug too. I would suggest spending money and buying a remanufactured hub assembly from advanced auto. This way you can ensuer the bearing are still good. It comes as a total hub assembly.

From the J Yard, i would get the rear caliper and mounting brackets. Atually since the backing plate is mounted between the hub assembly and the rear knuckle, you might just get the whole rear knuckle wich would have everything you need. Not too sure if you could just bolt the knuckle in and go from there.

I'll write up a full tutorial when i get done with my front. Could do it now, but really don't have time.

cool thank bro, i blew my auto tranny and i will be changing it this month so i plan on doing the 4 to 5 lug conversion at the same time, i have a spare car thats why i plan on doing this.

Also the hub assembly from advance, i will need the front one and the rear one. w/e i will wait for the tutorial either way thanks man for everything :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WD1V

i don't know how much advance charges, but the price on these is pretty good. the guy will probably discount them if you buy all four at once

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

SamirDarji
    I haven't checked this thread in a while (email got all jacked up), but looks like there's some progress. I don't have any pics because I'm not doing the swap, but if you still need help with the FTP, let me know. I can still host the pics.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123