The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Drum to Disk Question

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 59
    Experienced TGC Member
    Its called "drum in disc" its basically the emergency brake system. The shoes only operate for the manual emergency brake and press on the inside of the rotor to stop the car in the even the hydraulic brake's fail..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    Its called "drum in disc" its basically the emergency brake system. The shoes only operate for the manual emergency brake and press on the inside of the rotor to stop the car in the even the hydraulic brake's fail..
    Interesting. I'd always heard about that type of system, but I always thought the drum would be a little thing enclosed just like a standard drum. Well, that's pretty cool.

The rear rotor swap may be easier than I expected. Now I really need to get my hands on a 94 FSM.

SamirDarji
    I went to the Mitsu dealer today to get the o-ring for the distributor and while I was there I looked into everything for the rear brake swap. Learned some new stuff.

Apparently, even though it isn't in the FSM, they made rear discs all the way up to March of 1996. There were no rear discs after that. Cooincidently, that's also when they all started being produced in the US. So while even more rare than the GS, it will be possible to find other years with discs. And a GS is hard to find...lol.

The knuckle is the exact same part number for disc or drum. Like Blue Ice said, it is the backing plate that's one of the main things that needs to change. There are parts of the drum in disc system that are different than our stock drum setup, so there are things that will need to change there too, but I don't know exactly what since I don't have all the part numbers for the stock setup. But it was almost everything.

The brake lines for the rear disc are the same as the 2nd gen Eclipse, so it is possible to get some braided ones that bolt on.

The guy was cool enough to print out a schematic with all the part numbers for the rear disc setup. I'm going to do some searches and see how things match.

Experienced TGC Member
    As far as CAPS goes the brake parts for the turbo 2wd eclipse have the same part numbers as the 94 GS. It does list galants with rear disc's up to 96 but the part numbers are different..who knows if that matters at all.

Incase you dont know SamirDarji, CAPS is the program Mitsu uses to look up the parts you need and it is the printout you have with the part selection numbers on it..you can dl it I posted the link up for it somewhere on TGC..
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

SamirDarji
    I was actually opening that link when my computer crashed a little while back. Thank you for reminding me about it.

SamirDarji
    I just want to say again THANK YOU! I had no idea that this was the exact same system the guy was using at the dealer today. Because I have multiple computers, I can pull up diagrams of different vehicles side-by-side.

So far I've come up with that the 2nd gen eclipse 2wd non-turbo had 4 lugs and rear disc available. It was the exact same as the rear disc for the Galant. I didn't drill it down to exact part numbers, but the location groups (or whatever those things are) match exactly.

Then I found out AEM sold their big-brakes to Powerslot. But either way, there is an 11.5" rotor available for that same eclipse model. I'm going to call and see how their system mounts up. This is starting to look like the Baer system bolt-on. Hopefully, I can just get the backing plates, hubs, calipers, lines, and then have the AEM big brake to relocate calipers and have a monster rear rotor. :twisted:

Experienced TGC Member
    the part selection numbers are almost always the same...its the actual part number the MD##### or MR##### etc.. that matter...if those numbers match then its the same part. Sometimes they list one part# being the upgrade/replacement which would mean that part number would fit too
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

SamirDarji
    I wish the system was easier on cross referencing actual parts, but I guess the whole parts world is like this. LG's system was just as bad.

I contacted Powerslot today about the rear upgrade, and after cross-referencing all the Eclipses that it would work with and the rear disc on the 7g Galant, it will work for those that upgrade to 5-lug systems. But for the 4-lug it's a no-go because the only rotor available is a 5-lug and is custom because it has the same hat size, but increases to 11.5" in diameter. I'm going to see if anyone can make a custom 4-lug rotor that matches the specs for their 5-lug. If that's the case, I can get the caliper relocation parts, the parts to do a rear backing plate swap along with the new drum-in-disc parking brake setup and then get the larger 11.5" rotor. That would also make the disc swap a little more effective since the rotor upgrade improves braking. Still more research to do...

Guys i have one question that i didnt seem to find in the tutorial of changing the drum to disk , will we need to change the master brake pump or will ours work
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

This should be the one stop shop for everyone's questions on this matter http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17421

OK guys this is the same problem i am having :cry: , these tutorials are for the eclipse cars now is the master pump from the eclipse cars the same as ours or is it different, if they are different will we need to change our master pump or can we use the same one when doing the convertion from the eclipse brakes to the galant
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

SamirDarji
    When doing the rear disc, you shouldn't have to change the masta'. In my FSM, the only difference is for the non-abs and abs. Let me look it up in caps...looks like there is a small difference in the cylinders, but mainly from abs vs non-abs. One shows being 15/16" and one is 1" (abs). There are only 3 part numbers:
    mr128752 - indicates 15/16" and w/o abs, x-refs to d31a, d32a, d39a eclipses and e56a galant
    mr307460 - indicates 1" but nothing about abs/non-abs, x-refs only to e56a galant
    mr235360 - indicates 1" and abs, x-refs only to e56a galant

From all this info, I don't think the master needs to be changed unless there was no 4-wheel disc Eclipse w/o abs. Then the only 4-wheel disc master was the abs one.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    ok, i haven't taken my rear drum apart yet. But having looked at all the parts that i have, i don't think i have the drum in disk parts, so now i'm thinking i'll have to go get those parts. Maybe someone could tell me if the e brake system is the same for the disk and drum.

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    ok, i haven't taken my rear drum apart yet. But having looked at all the parts that i have, i don't think i have the drum in disk parts, so now i'm thinking i'll have to go get those parts. Maybe someone could tell me if the e brake system is the same for the disk and drum.

Is this a pic of the new rear disc? I think you have the drum in disc right there because I can see the pads. You just need the rotor. The hat on the rotor acts as the drum. Let me look up the e-brake cable...there is a small "snap ring" (MF522406) or "clip" (MB520849) that you may have to change.

MF522406 - d31a, d39a eclipses, e56a galant rear drum
    MB520849 - d31a, d32a, d33a, d38a, d39a eclipses, e56a GS galant rear disc

I'm thinking from this information, you'll have to get one MB520849 that seems to be on the rear discs system and replace the MF522406 that seems to be on the rear drum units.

Doing some more research, the GS Galant comes with part MB928690 and MB928691 for left and right parking brake cables. The regular comes with MB928000 for left and MB928001 for the right, so there may be a change there too. But these are application specific for the Galant. Not sure if it will bolt up to the eclipse parts. I think they should. I hope this helps.

It helps very little. My question iguess was answered. That pic comes from a tutorial of the eclipse conversion. I haven't done anything yet myself. But this means i'll have to go to the dealer and get the parts for the drum in disk.

It helps very little. My question iguess was answered. That pic comes from a tutorial of the eclipse conversion. I haven't done anything yet myself. But this means i'll have to go to the dealer and get the parts for the drum in disk.

Actualy i already have the new ebrake cables for the disk.

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice

Actualy i already have the new ebrake cables for the disk.
    Oh well, I tried. Best of luck on the conversion. Take some pics if you can.

went to the dealer to order the parts, for the drum in disk. individually there are about 15-20 different parts, all totalling about $280. i'll give you the parts list in a later post. Good think about it is these parts can be assembled to the backing plate before you actually tothe conversion.

it took about an hour to assemble the first drum in disk, and about 20 min to do the second. You'll need a pair of pliers for a couple of clips. And for the springs there's a tool that makes putting springs on a whole lot easier. I was trying to use pliers to load the springs on the first one, but my dad gave me the tool on the second one. Between not knowing what the hell i was doing and then having this tool things went a lot smoother.

I got a parts diagram from the dealer which helped explain how to assemble the drum part. If you can understand the diagram, then that's all you'll need.

SamirDarji
    Cool! Seems like it's going well. Any pics?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast