The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Air Conditioning Installation Help Wanted

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    algal

Air Conditioning Installation Help Wanted

Hi peoples! I'm a new member.. well, in a way.. I used to hang round on this site.. I got slack and forgot about this place. I'm not sure if anyone remembers me or knows of me. But hello to everyone reading this.

Anyways, my 6g doesn't have air conditioning and it's getting very hot here in australia. I can get my hands on a system from a dead engined 6g from the wreckers but before I buy the system i want to know if it's worth tackling installing the air con system myself(?). I've made some calls to local air con service places but they don't want to touch a used system and will only install a new one for around $2000 ausy dollars... hmm.. I'd rather role the window down compared with that price. So does anyone have any knowledge about installing air con systems?

Please visit my cardomain page too, it'll fill you in more about me and my car. Cheers.

algal
    Hang on.. I didn't give you my cardomain url info.. here it is:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/algal

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Shouldnt be hard at all. Be sure to grab all the coolant lines from the parts car. Basically everything that runs out of the AC unit itself you will need. Not sure if you have to do anything on the inside of your car?
    7g for life!

ken inn
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Shouldnt be hard at all. Be sure to grab all the coolant lines from the parts car. Basically everything that runs out of the AC unit itself you will need. Not sure if you have to do anything on the inside of your car?
    ahahaha. you ever try to do this? first off, you should find out if the a/c for your car is factory installed, or dealer installed. then, is it climate control? you at least need the evaporator installed, i just changed out my expansion valve, and although the evaporator is not bad, my car came with one. removing it is only about a half hour job. if the system is dealer installed, there will be a lot of cutting and hole drilling. especially where the lines go into the firewall. you might have to remove the dash. because of the routing of the lines, a/c cars have different parts. sometimes even the block has to be modified to mount the compressor. at least the a/c is all blende doors, so there is no valve, but if it is climate control, now you got a lot of little stepper motors, so the wiring harness is different. it may even had a different ecu, because idle has to bump up when the compressor kicks in. also, climate control has sensors to keep the temps set. usually the radiator is higher capacity, alternator, fuses, wiring to the auxillary fan, even the front suspension springs can be higher capacity.

algal
    Hi ken inn, thanks for your reply. Yes I know my model Galant (HH Sohc 2.0 SE australian model) comes factory with normal A/C (not climate control) except for some like mine. It was a factory option in other words. So I'm not sure if i have any parts or holes in place ready for the A/C. One bonus I do have is that my friend has the same car as me but it's a 92' model with A/C. I will have to compare the holes, brackets, etc.. with our cars. One thing I'm not looking forward to is ripping out the dash to inspect.. and also, what am I looking for behind the dash apart from the A/C on/off switch? I guess what I really need is info (from a workshop manual perhaps) for my galant model's A/C system. Does anyone have an electronic copy of this?

ken inn
    not here. i have one for usa cars, but i know for a fact the jdm rhd cars wiring harness is way different. while the main harness is probably the same, there will be at least one sub harness, because the ecu does have some control over the a/c, and there is also a separate controller for the a/c. in the engine bay, there is another sensor on top of the thermostat housing, a hi/lo pressure switch, and the hot wire for the a/c clutch. so, another at least sub harness. you might first look and see if the harness in your car has these empty plug ends as your friend's car, then at least that part will be easy. it is possible that the blower motor could be different, maybe a higher capacity. there will probably be a big plastic housing that goes where the evaporator goes, if the unit is factory. if it is dealer installed, lots of cutting will have to be done, and you would need templates. i think it might even be easier to find a car like yours with a blown motor and a/c, and switch all your stuff over.

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(algal)</div><div class='quotemain'> Does anyone have an electronic copy of this?</div>

Yep., where are you? i am on the gold coast