The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ECU Swap required for 5spd?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Experienced TGC Member

ECU Swap required for 5spd?

Now I know that the 4g64 doesn't need a new ECU, though does the 6g72? Peano inspired me to do my own swap now, and so Im trying to get an estimate going.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    whats wierd, is the 2G guys (both 420a and 4g63t engines) need the manual tranny control unit to replace their auto, but i didn't have to touch mine :? i'm pretty sure the 8Gs don't need a manual tranny CU, but don't quote me on that. stewi would know for sure.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    you do not need to change the ecu, you can use your current ECU. Now if you have a 99 G i think you can change it if you want to but you do not need to. If you have a 2000 and up G you can not change the ECU, remember we have a chip in our keys and if the ECU does not match the Key it will not start.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dominicano)</div><div class='quotemain'>you do not need to change the ecu, you can use your current ECU. Â*Now if you have a 99 G i think you can change it if you want to but you do not need to. Â*If you have a 2000 and up G you can not change the ECU, remember we have a chip in our keys and if the ECU does not match the Key it will not start.</div>

AWSOME! Ya I have a 99, so Im guessing that the ECU might be a bit more friendly on more than one front (considering that we ALMOST had a 5spd G).

This is great news to hear. Hey Peano how much did your tranny by itself cost? At most Ill spend is 700 on the tranny itself.

well i was looking into this for a while for my V6...you get what you pay for...I found a really nice looking donor car and the tranny parts were $750 and included everything that was needed...at least everything i think was needed. so, $700 seems like a good price for the parts...now finding someone to do the swap for the 6, dunno about. it's pretty much trial and error right now because noone has done it yet. i would have tried, but it's my only vehicle and i'm deployed right now. if i had the cash i would have given it to the local performance shop before i left for them to do some work on, and possibly do the swap, but i didn't... :cry:

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/partslist.html

the transmission plus a ton of parts i needed cost me $373 shipped. i got REALLY lucky. oooohh, if you're doing this swap, does this mean you're keeping your car?!?!?!
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i paid 700 for the entire tranny swap (every last bolt) and the guy included the axles as well just in case.

probably wont drop it in till i buy my LSD, clutch, and new flywheel.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011