The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Guys running boost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

Guys running boost

Now I have a T-25 laying around so I guess i'm gonna start buying up turbo parts and get this thing ready for summer.

My question is, How much boost can I run without running an intercooler?
    and how much with a smic?

Thanks in advance guys!

8G_GTZ
    don't run a T25 bro. one of the worst turbo's mitsu could've chosen. if you reallt plan on running that, you not looking at any more than 6-8lbs on our motor with that turbo.

if I were you which I am, looking for parts liek many others actually, go with a 14b or a 16G, or even a B16G from an EVOIII. you can expect much better numbers with those turbos. good luck with everything bro.

steve

ken inn
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun7g
    don't run a T25 bro. one of the worst turbo's mitsu could've chosen. if you reallt plan on running that, you not looking at any more than 6-8lbs on our motor with that turbo.

if I were you which I am, looking for parts liek many others actually, go with a 14b or a 16G, or even a B16G from an EVOIII. you can expect much better numbers with those turbos. good luck with everything bro.

steve
    not true. if you are looking running with no intercooler, you are limited to about 6 lbs, depending on how well you can tune, and how much fuel/timing control you have. t25 should do well for this.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Suck it up, run an SMIC or FMIC. Ive seen 2g spyder guys run up to 10, but I wouldnt run that high on stock internals. Keep it down to 6-8 or build the motor. You could buy a supra SMIC for like $50...
    7g for life!

brandon
    Although the Supra SMIC is more efficient than the stock 2G, I don't think you'd be able to fit in the fenderwell. Had a hell of a time getting the 2G one to fit and it's a tight squeeze.

I don't recommend not running some sort of IC though.

Max boost on your stock motor should be about 8-9psi.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    14b all the way
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Love it.

Just want to say thanks guys. I really appreciate all the info. I'm definately going to run the T-25 cause its free and I already have it. More than likely going to run an smic as well. Just wanted to get some input. The reason I don't want to run an fmic is I'm trying to hide the fact that i'm going to go turbo. I do a little too much street racing and I want to win some more cash next year so I can keep building it. Thanks again guys. Keep the input comming!

ken inn
    if you keep the boost low, you dont need an intercooler. run short piping, that will help response. use water injection, put a nozzle right after the turbo, water injection is better than the best intercoolers. get rid of the mas:

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/mapecudownloads.shtml

the mas is a big restriction. i just installed a vpc, and it is amazing on how much more power the car has. speed density is way better than a mas for turbo cars, and nothing can outflow a straight pipe.

GPTourer
    I think the T-25 would be a great turbo for a low boost application. If you only need 6-8psi, the response is going to be instant with 2.4L of displacement. I'm wondering how the 2G DSM (if that's where you got it from) wastegate spring is going to like being set that low. Like was said before, try to keep all your routing as short as possible as well as your vacuum lines to your BC. I wouldn't run it without an IC though.

IF you can run a 2G MAS on a Galant you're good up to like 400whp. Might be cheaper solution then running a VPC or GM MAF.

ken inn
    i had a 2g mas for quite some time. it is a huge improvement over the 1g mas. the maf translator is less expensive, but i have read a lot of good and bad. i have also read several posts from people who have had both vpc and maf translator, and every one said the vpc was way better. the gm maf is still a restriction. the vpc is way better than the 2g mas on all but idle, the vpc idle is a bit cranky. but, with the 2g mas and the fidanza flywheel, i would get idle hunting problems, especially at hot restart. the vpc idle is steadier at hot restart, but it still hunts. also, fuel trims with the vpc are way rich, but it runs really good.

GPTourer
    Ahh, yeah - I noticed later you are a VR-4. The original poster is a 7G, I'm thinking he's not going to come anywhere close to over running the MAS with ~6psi on a T-25. Which is why I think a Super AFC and 2G MAS would be a worthy combo. I have no idea how much the stock 7g MAS can handle, but I'm thinking a T-25 at 6 punds would only add like 30whp so maybe he doesn't need to replace it either. I don't have any personal experience with the VPC, I know 1G guys love it, but since they don't make it anymore and its a little pricey it might be a bit of overkill for a small setup like his.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    7g mas is the exact same mas as 2g turbo guys.
    7g for life!

ken inn
    i was not referring to mas overrun, the mas is a restriction. if you remove the mas, the response time really improves, additionally, at wot the motor pulls a LOT harder. the problem is replacement of the mass air metering system, ala speed density. if an n/a car is turbo'd, it will need fuel control. with a device like vpc, or mapecu, the mas can be removed, and just an air filter stuck on there. most of the posts i see are for bf intercooler, or bf turbo. nothing on fuel control, which is way more critical, going from n/a to boost. speed density would even improve n/a motors. BUT, lots of tuning would be involved. with a device like mapecu, there would be almost stand alone fuel control. oh, and with the mas gone, i can really hear the turbo spooling up.

GPTourer
    Oh okay now I get it. I know most people would rather spend the money on the turbo and IC and fuel control becomes secondary - but I agree it is the most critical going from na to turbo. However the SAFC + MAS combo is still a viable and above all else the most economical solution. It is also the easiest for beginners to deal with. My next upgrade will be to move to DSMlink to gain complete control over the ECU, as opposed to what the SAFC2 has to offer, but it has been good up to this point.

Thanks

Very good ideas and I'm sure this is helping more than just me. I really appreciate all the info i'm getting from you guys and i'm sure everyone else is. I'm planning on going with my mas (same as 2G) and an afc. The most important thing to me right now if being able to control the fuel. Boost will come later. I'm going to start out on 5psi then start tunning from there. Plans are to leave it at 8psi. I also have alot more cutting to do on my car. ie, inside of trunk, wheel well, a/c, p/s etc....

definately going to stay with the 4G64 as I have a jasper reman in my other car with only 10K miles on it that i'm going to be swapping in.

Thanks again guys!

What do my 6GVr4 have? 2G Mas, VPC or Maf & what will work best for it?
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org

ken inn
    Quote Originally Posted by FastNFabolous
    What do my 6GVr4 have? 2G Mas, VPC or Maf & what will work best for it?
    ok, i am not sure of this 6g, 7g, 8g, etc stuff. i am used to 1g and 2g, in the dsm world. if you have a 91-92 vr4, you have a 1g mas. if you run more than about 15 lbs of boost, you will get mas overrun. the 2g mas flows 29% more air than the 1g. but, you will need injectors, fuel pump, adjustable fpr, and fuel control(afc, etc) to make it work. jeff O makes chips to compensate for 2g mas, injectors, yada, yada, but i still have to tune it in even with the chip. now, if you remove the mas, you can go vpc, or maf translator. maf translator is very popular now, mainly because it is cheap, and fairly easy to tune. the reason i went vpc(which is no longer made, you gotta get used) is because i found a couple guys who have run both, or have 2 cars, each with either system, and all said vpc was way better. the gm maf is still a restriction. the vpc is wicked fast. i actually broke the tires loose the other day, at the top of first, and overrevved it. i think i hit 8 grand. it was scary.

Thanks Ken Inn. I didnt know you got a VR-4 now too. What color is yours & do you have pics of it. Where's your other car by the way?
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org

ken inn
    Quote Originally Posted by FastNFabolous
    Thanks Ken Inn. I didnt know you got a VR-4 now too. What color is yours & do you have pics of it. Where's your other car by the way?
    not sure what you mean. i 've owned the galant for 10 years, before that, i had a 323 gtx. the only other car we have is a 99 millenia S, but the wife drives that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FastNFabolous)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks Ken Inn. Â*I didnt know you got a VR-4 now too. Â*What color is yours & do you have pics of it. Where's your other car by the way?</div>

Your website is not fuctioning. Is there another link you can give me to check out pics of your ride?

Back from the dead!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast