The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Living with RIPP SDS

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Living with RIPP SDS

For those with the RIPP Mods SDS system on a daily driver - how has it been living with it?

What about maintenance?

Any problems?

Didi you install it yourself or have a shop do it? How long did it take?

b-boy_sky

Re: Living with RIPP SDS

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingpinoy
    For those with the RIPP Mods SDS system on a daily driver - how has it been living with it?

What about maintenance?

Any problems?

Didi you install it yourself or have a shop do it? How long did it take?
    It's a big headache (if you're like me). I listen to every sound and vibration when I drive and I look at the gauges way to much. Maintenance is not bad. Just keep checking the belts tension and if you're running a stage II or higher keep on eye out on your meth resevior. Anything big you do to your car you can expect to have little problems but they were all easy to fix. And the install took 2 days....

BlankMan
    How detailed do you want me to get? I could write a short essay - LOL. But I'll keep in relatively short....

How has it been living with it?
    Fine. Sometimes I think the blower is louder than it has a right to be (at idle when it "chirps") but after getting in to boost, I forget all about it. Gas mileage has suffered a bit too - part due to more consump[tion, part due to a heavier foot.

What about maintenance?
    Not a big issue if you're in the habit or regular maintenance on your car. There are a couple additional steps you should do once a week or every other week:
    1. Check your drive belt tension.
    2. Keep your water/meth resevoir full
    3. Check and clean your BOV. Lube with graphite spray.
    4. Check all added fittings for signs of leaks or seepage.

Any problems?
    Some. Mostly small issues. In no specific order:

1. SDS idle pulley bearings froze up and caused the SDS/PS/AC belt to shred. RIPP replace the idle pulley free of cost (I think I paid half shipping) and I bought a new belt locally for like $25. I actually drove the car for the 5 or so days it took to get the new pulley - it's no fun without PS...

2. After the first few hundred miles, I noticed slight oil seepage on the oil return line where it goes in to the oil pan. RIPP includes a "no weld" fitting for this return that probably works just fine in most instances, but I had oil seepage - it just wasn't sealing right against the inside of the oil pan. There is an overlap of metal in the inside of ours that creates a 1/16" lip - I think the washers from their fitting didn't quite fit there and left a very small gap where oil could seep. I removed and reinstalled the fitting using JB Weld between the inner and outer washers and it's been dry ever since.

3. After first adding all my new stuff for 'stage 2", my car had a shit idle and was running so rich it would foul the plugs in 10 sec or less. After a call to RIPP's support, I sent them my BB (1 1/2 week down time) for diagnostics. They found the BB had gone "bad" and replaced it. Been fine since then. Cost me $20 or sho for shipping and insurance for $500.

4. Belt slip. This continues to be a problem with practically every SDS equipped car. RIPP is working on a tensioner that should all but eliminate the slip - but it's be "in developement" forever now. The slip isn't constant, it depends alot on temperature, humidity, etc. I've been in the car one day where it will slip starting at 5k, that same night I can redline 1-3 with no slippling. Go figure.

5. I still throw a code every now and again. That's just annoying. But after a reset with the scan tool, it's usually a long while before anything pops up again.

Did you install it yourself or have a shop to do it?
    Myself. And only myself - LOL. Other than normal frustrations (damn rusted bolts!) it was a great experience.

How long did it take?
    The first install - which was the original "stage 1.0" kit - took me 26+ hours over the course of 7-8 days. This might seem like a long time but I do things slowly and double/triple check my work. I'm also one of those anal folks where the piping has to sit just so or wires have to be the exact length and hidden or look factory, etc.

The "update" where I added the water/meth kit, crank overdrive pulley, 310 injectors, BB re-program, etc. I have no idea. I did alot of travelling after tearing everything down and didn't get it all put back together for a few weeks. I'd have to estimate about 12 hours, though.

J

Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated. I didn't expect having an FI car to be all roses, but its good to see you guys aren't having too much problems.

Censee
    i can get a sds kit at a good price from another member here,,all i would need is the headers,,,,,,ive heard many people with the sds have problems ,,,some due to the shops that install the damn thing,,,,,and thats what is really a concern because ive heard of many shops,,,,even the ones considered good,,do horrible jobs,,,for example ,,,matt had problems with his kit, due to some shitty work...and he took it off...if i lived in nj,,,,i guarantee i would have stage 78 if they had one,,cuz the shop is close by and i can show up if i have a problem,,,,one day i went to a shop here in miami to ask if how much would they charge for installation,,and they said,,,,,"the 3g and galant engines arent the same".....even after i showed them a pic,,,,,i walked out,,,and that was considered one of the best shops in south florida......jeeeessh....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Censee)</div><div class='quotemain'>i can get a sds kit at a good price from another member here,,all i would need is the headers,,,,,,ive heard many people with the sds have problems ,,,some due to the shops that install the damn thing,,,,,and thats what is really a concern because ive heard of many shops,,,,even the ones considered good,,do horrible jobs,,,for example ,,,matt had problems with his kit, Â*due to some shitty work...and he took it off...if i lived in nj,,,,i guarantee i would have stage 78 if they had one,,cuz the shop is close by and i can show up if i have a problem,,,,one day i went to a shop here in miami to ask if how much would they charge for installation,,and they said,,,,,"the 3g and galant engines arent the same".....even after i showed them a pic,,,,,i walked out,,,and that was considered one of the best shops in south florida......jeeeessh....</div>

Yeah, that sucks. I don't trust any shop to touch my car. The only time I had to was getting my kit installed. Everything else I installed myself or with the help of my Father. Luckily, if I ever am able to spend the money on the RIPP SDS, Staten Island isn't too far south of me.

b-boy_sky
    I would recommend that you try the install. I bought mine off another member and we took the SDS off his car, put his car back to stock, took a complete nitrous kit out my car and installed the SDS on my car in only a weekend with 3 guys total. It's not real hard and I would look into trying the install first....and if you're still not comfertable with doing it then take it to somebody....

Censee
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(b-boy_sky)</div><div class='quotemain'>I would recommend that you try the install. Â*I bought mine off another member and we took the SDS off his car, put his car back to stock, took a complete nitrous kit out my car and installed the SDS on my car in only a weekend with 3 guys total. Â*It's not real hard and I would look into trying the install first....and if you're still not comfertable with doing it then take it to somebody....</div>just a qustion,,,,did u do the soldering and electronic work the sds needs,,,because i beilieve one of matts problems was bad electronic work or wiring.......what has to be done....soldering? etc??

b-boy_sky
    I became a pro at soldering after installing all the components of my nitrous kit. But this was my first time soldering on any ECU. You need to solder the injector wires, grey box wires and methanol pump if you go stage II or higher. What kind of problems did matt have with his wiring?

The kit is great the only problem I have is that the Supercharger eats belts like crazy. And when ur belt breaks since its all on one pulley you loose your power steering which is a major pain in the ass!!! But the belt is only 40+ bucks to replace. In terms of noise its pretty quiet at low speeds and slow city driving.

0 problems beside the belt breaking, I think the Ripp kit is well worth the money!
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

Quick question how many people have kits these days, its been a while since I have been on the boards?
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by GalantT3
    Quick question how many people have kits these days, its been a while since I have been on the boards?
    well on here and 3g peeple seem to get them...enjoy them for a few months and sell them...seems to be a trend..u still have yers right??

Censee
    does anyone have a tutorioal and pics of their installations?/