The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine choice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 45

Engine choice

ok im pretty much giving up on my idea of putting a total evo under the car including the awd drive train and so on .. so what do you guys suggest i put remember this car is a total rebuild engine body everything what i do want in the car is

v4 or v6
    2.0 or higher
    awd drive train

GPTourer
    Since you are in austrailia, I don't know what to recommend to you. I was toying with the idea of swapping a 2G Eclipse GSX drivetrain under my Galant, but that car is just as alien to you as the Evo IV is to me. Do they not have any of those baby Evos over there with the 4G93?T 1.8L engine over there? Lancer GLXs? I think they were called. Maybe their engines have the right orientation. You guys have Protons too which are Mitsus I think, perhaps something out of one of those would work.

oh im not worried about importing i can import what ever engine i want from overseas .. the cost is not a problem i just wanted a few ideas thats all

GPTourer
    Then by far the best choice IMO would be a 6-bolt 4G63. If your car is like what we call a 7G Galant with motor on right, intake on left, then you want this engine. It has the most aftermarket support and is capable of 800hp+ with forged internals, or around 400whp on stock bottom end. For us, it comes out of 1G Eclipses MY90-92. Some 93's had them, but sometime during that year they switched to the 7-bolt. Those engines might bolt in a bit easier (the 1G 7-bolt) but aren't considered as strong. Even worse, the 2G 7-bolt is known to have issues with crankwalk and I would avoid them for a high power build up.

The 6-bolt 4G63 also came in JDM Galant VR-4's, which we call 6G's. Probably as far back as '86 or '87 models. Some people build hybrids out of 2.4L blocks using turbo heads off of 4G63's. This engine is known as the 4GCS and is common in early 90's Hyundai Sonatas. Whatever this car is known as over in you part of the world, the combination of a big turbo and 2.4L of displacment is the new craze amongst American DSM enthusiasts.

i'd just do the evo3 swap with tranny bcuz the evo3 would probably the easiest 4 u to find and its tranny makes this the fastest evo. if not look 4 the evo7 biggest bang (i haven't seen the jdm evo8 engine so i cant speak 4 the evo8)

ok i know i'm gonna get a warning or something and this is probably not the place to say this but if the dohc g4cs is a new craze we should see a huge increase in our parts since the g4cs is the 4g64??
    05 - Scion tC
    95 - Mitsubishi Galant S
    K&N FPIK Intake ; KYB GR-2s ; Eibach Pro-Kit
    Currently in Project:
    DOHC (i jus need a few more parts)
    AT Built Tranny (just need axles)

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GPTourer)</div><div class='quotemain'>Then by far the best choice IMO would be a 6-bolt 4G63. If your car is like what we call a 7G Galant with motor on right, intake on left, then you want this engine. It has the most aftermarket support and is capable of 800hp+ with forged internals, or around 400whp on stock bottom end. For us, it comes out of 1G Eclipses MY90-92. Some 93's had them, but sometime during that year they switched to the 7-bolt. Those engines might bolt in a bit easier (the 1G 7-bolt) but aren't considered as strong. Even worse, the 2G 7-bolt is known to have issues with crankwalk and I would avoid them for a high power build up.

The 6-bolt 4G63 also came in JDM Galant VR-4's, which we call 6G's. Probably as far back as '86 or '87 models. Some people build hybrids out of 2.4L blocks using turbo heads off of 4G63's. This engine is known as the 4GCS and is common in early 90's Hyundai Sonatas. Whatever this car is known as over in you part of the world, the combination of a big turbo and 2.4L of displacment is the new craze amongst American DSM enthusiasts.</div>

well since he's overseas 7-bolt 4g63 is better

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>but if the dohc g4cs is a new craze we should see a huge increase in our parts since the g4cs is the 4g64??</div>

What GPTourer meant was that you can do the DOHC headswap to the hyundai engine and make it a 2.4 4g63... it's not exactly the 4g64, though...

when is we gon be free????

nah i don't really want to go to the point of head changes i don't think this car is more of a cruiser then a racer all i want is the awd and single turbo added thats all im gonna do as well as a decent size intercooler and massive air filter

well whatever your decision is this is your car. keep us updated bcuz you are doing a all wheel drive train, and i'm very sure many people are interested in this

edit:
    while we're at engine choices, i'm in the process of choosing an engine myself. i'm tinking about doing a 4g63t engine swap or the 4g64/4g63 hybrid. 4g63t = 2.0 turbo topend but 4g64/63 = 2.4 lowerend. both about the same horsies and both about the same price. any input would be useful
    05 - Scion tC
    95 - Mitsubishi Galant S
    K&N FPIK Intake ; KYB GR-2s ; Eibach Pro-Kit
    Currently in Project:
    DOHC (i jus need a few more parts)
    AT Built Tranny (just need axles)

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Just find a wrecked 7g vr4. What engine do you currently have? Your best bet is to use a vr4 drivetrain and the 6a12tt. But things will still have to be relocated, fabricated and moved. I know in the US galants, the fuel tank has to be moved or replaced with the awd one. LOts of things need welded. Its just a lot of work overall.
    7g for life!

GPTourer
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Hodgson316)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    well since he's overseas 7-bolt 4g63 is better Â* Â*
    </div>

For a big power build up, I would avoid the 7-bolt for fear of CW. Actually for any swap I would avoid them because of that problem. It would be a shame to do all that work converting a car to AWD and a turbo swap and then have it walk. But if importing an engine is out of the question, then maybe you have no choice.

Which brings me to my next point. If all you were doing was a turbo swap, I'd say go for the correct oriented 4G63. But if you want to do both drivetrain and engine, and they actually have 7G-Vr4's, I'd have to say just sell your car and get a used VR4.

I am not 100% sure, but you have to make sure you match TC's with rear ends from like vehicles. So an Evo engine and tranny hooked up to a rear end from a 6a12TT Galant might not have the same gear ratios designed to work together and you could end up burning out your viscous coupling. So lets say you find a whole wrecked Evo III or a whole wrecked Galant VR-4 with drivetrain intact and want to swap everything under your car. All that money could be used to just buy a decent used Evo III or Galant VR-4 to begin with. We don't have either of those cars readily availble to us.

Evo III 4g63t is a 7bolt. 7bolts made overseas do not crankwalk. Only the US 7bolts
    7g for life!

GPTourer
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Evo III 4g63t is a 7bolt. Â*7bolts made overseas do not crankwalk. Â*Only the US 7bolts </div>

That topic has been debated over on the DSM forums, and I'm not sure I'm convinced. I'm not doubting your statement, but I have a problem with how you put it. First, what is a US 7-bolt? My engine was made in Japan just like the Evo 3 motor. People have opned up "JDM" motors and have found nothing different on the inside then what they find on "USDM" engines. The differences lie in the injectors, manifolds and turbos all external pieces. If there were a ready supply of english speaking EVo III owners on the dsm sites we could compare our findings, but I can't just dismiss the whole thing as only a US pehnomenoa.

2g 7bolts crankwalked the most. 1g 7bolts didnt crankwalk nearly as much, its even considered rare. I have never heard of a 7bolt out of an Evo crankwalking. Now I dont know a whole lot of people using them, but this is just what I have been told. It doesnt matter though, my jdm 6gvr4 motor is a 6bolt 8)
    7g for life!

GPTourer
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hodgson316)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>but if the dohc g4cs is a new craze we should see a huge increase in our parts since the g4cs is the 4g64??</div>
    What GPTourer meant was that you can do the DOHC headswap to the hyundai engine and make it a 2.4 4g63... it's not exactly the 4g64, though...</div>

Right, its not a 4G64, but it is a "4G" series engine so the head is compatible. The main difference is that it is a 6-bolt so the chances for CW are virtually nil. Some people claim this the "only" choice for someone wanting a 2.4 DOHC turbo engine. But now some tuners are doing 2.4 using 7-bolt Galant blocks. Still, another option is to just use the crank from these engines and make a 2.2/3L stroker. Both require varying degrees of modification, but the N/T 2.4 blocks require some machining to accept the head for turbo use.

In australia we don't the VR4 galant or the evo both would have to be import car's but would it just be easier to import all the vr4 underpinings from a g7 one.

ok ill break it down and make it simple
    http://m-cgi.com/euphoria/dicecustoms/
    that may help

im taking the engine / drive train and every mechanical bit and electronic bit out of the car rebuilding her from the ground up so if a VR4 AWD drive train fits in it fine and as well as the engine then thats what i should go for right ??

GPTourer
    Ask your local tuners which engine they like the best. I am guessing that they will say the 4G63T. It would be cheaper to work on because it has one less turbo, one less cylinder bank, one less head and so on. OTOH it might be easier to get Galant AWD componets under a Galant rather then Evo parts - that's the pricer of the two conversions so I would research into the how's of getting AWD in your car and let that determine which engine I'd choose.

im still only shopping around but is this any where near where i should be looking in the way of tranny

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1&rd=1&tc=photo

GPTourer
    Yes, but that will lock you into using 6G Galant VR4, Evo I-III, or Eclipse components. It won't bolt up to a 6Axx motor and probably not to any rear end from such a car.

well im not looking for the 6 Cylinder engines
    i want a 4g63 engine what one im not sure of yet depending on the componentry need .. awd system is my main concern

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast