The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine choice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 45
    GPTourer
    Well then, rock on.

Dark Anghell
    if you want this car to be a cruiser and not a racer, then don't do the AWD. For a couple of reasons. Number one, your car was not designed to have the AWD in it. Number two, you will not have any fun with the car when speeds exceed 50mph.
    I had AWD DSM for about a year, and AWD came in handy while going to the mountains, and off the line at a trafic light. AWD kick ass with grip, but FWD kicks ass on the top end, and eventually they even out if the car doesn't have too much power (~250HP). Plus FWD gets better gas mileage. My DSM got about 14-17mpg...sucks.

EVO 3 4g63 is the best choice, it is still considered to be the fastest EVO ever built.

TGC Regular
    RWD!!! Best of both worlds (if it were possible I'd do it in a heart beat)

when is we gon be free????

yeah its a cruiser .. and i just like all 4 paws to the floor .. and all built up area's in australia are about 50kph anyway so its not like she needs to be massively fast .. she's gonna be a luxuary car in most ways

i originally wanted to go evo but i wasn't sure about the gear box and drive train would fit under the shell

and a RWD galant just sounds dangerous lol

you could probably do it if you had a donor car for all the mechanical parts

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eu4ia)</div><div class='quotemain'>and a RWD galant just sounds dangerous lol</div>

exactly 8)

when is we gon be free????

Dark Anghell
    I have heard few years back, some guy in hawaii did a full evo swap in his mirage. basically you would not be able to tell them apart. he even did the AWD in the car. By the time all the bills were added up, he could've imported a real evo and made it street legal.
    Just some food for thought. I know that you can import a VR-4 of any year into USA, and there's a company in California that is licensed to convert the car to US spec. Ofcourse the price of the car will most likely double. Maybe this would be another option for you...improting a VR-4.

I have also seen a Dodge Avenger that was converted to AWD...it did not look safe at all. The rear end could break off anymoment.

??? 94 model would be6A12TT.
    4G63 turbo package is $3200 or Evo version $3500. Complete rear axle
    assembly $1000.
    Fuel tank and tailshaft we could include.
    Bob, Adelaide Jap Imports
    All Prices quoted in Aust$.
    www.adelaidejap.com.au

ok this i what ive been priced so far ... what else am i missing im askign them if the 4G63 Turbo kit comes with AWD Drivetrain / Gearbox

yeah i know the money adds up when you doing a whole engine / drive train change but awd galants arn't in australia and australia has shitty import laws .. the only galant's allowed to be imported are the 89 vr4 .. i know stupid rule otherwise i would just import a G8 from New Zealand or Japan

these are australian prices mind you

GPTourer
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dark Anghell)</div><div class='quotemain'>By the time all the bills were added up, he could've imported a real evo and made it street legal.</div>

Not quite. A Mirage conversion is really about the only choice for a person to have an early body style Evo and be street legal. In other words, the car could be legally registered, tagged and insurancd (as a Mirage) and be driven on public roads. The government and Mitsubishi will not let you bring *ANY* Evolution into the U.S. and legally drive it on the highway. There are exceptions of course: press cars and dealer cars that can only stay for one year and either be exported or crushed, competition cars that can be used in off road rallys but *never* be driven on the street. So if you want an Evo I-VI style car to drive, a Mirage conversion isn't that bad a way to go. A tired old Mirage with say 100K+ plus is like, free - maybe a few hundred for the old ones, up to like 3K for a late 90's. Then I figure 10-15K for parts and labor.

So we have those same tough importation laws too. I have heard of a guy with an late 80's Galant VR-4 that works for one of the big DSM shops, but since that car actually existed in this country in that same body and generation, maybe he found some loophole, or maybe he's just rolling dirty, I don't know.

The price for parts is cool, but that whole rear subframe has to be redone, or cut out and replaced. Most imported engines or front clips will come mated with the tranny/TC, but the driveshaft and rearend will probably be on you to find seperately. Unless you can buy a half cut, back of a car. Then again, you may need a custome drive shaft due to the length of your car, and possibly custom axels. You might also have to factor in the cost of new hubs, rotors and wheels too.

Experienced TGC Member
    whats the big deal with bringing an evo to the states why are they so tough on it?
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

im not 100% on imported cars and us regulations. the glass on the cars need to be switched out with shatterresistance glass also other parts of the car like crash support n safety n stuff. also if u notice the hp drop from jdm cars and us cars is because of emissions.

edit: also we can bring evos here we can bring jdm here they just need to be converted to us regulations. they brought the skyline here why not the evo. i've heard you can take another route in bring a jdm car here. when you go register the car you can supposedly put it under race only.
    05 - Scion tC
    95 - Mitsubishi Galant S
    K&N FPIK Intake ; KYB GR-2s ; Eibach Pro-Kit
    Currently in Project:
    DOHC (i jus need a few more parts)
    AT Built Tranny (just need axles)

GPTourer
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(know_fun)</div><div class='quotemain'>we can bring jdm here they just need to be converted to us regulations. they brought the skyline here why not the evo. </div>

"They" being Motorex, invested tens of thousands of dollars to bring the Skyline over. The average collector doesn't have the resources to import and crash test several cars, invest in costly emisions conversion and offer warranties and service for their customers. That's they charge you ~90 grand for a used R34 (illegal in California BTW) that's worth around 30-45 back in Japan. R32's and 33's can be made CARB legal, but the big mark up is there as well. All this is only possible because Nissan of America did not put up any resistence, unlike Mitsubishi. Mitsu doesn't want any competition with a car they spent a lot of money to make legal for U.S. They want U.S buyers to buy new Evos from them, not used cars they've already profited from year earlier. If you ever have time (like a day or two) go to evolutionm.net and do a search for "evolution imports" and you'll get the whole drawn out convuleted story. Granted it had more to do with VII's being brought in, it still applies to I-VI's too.

Oh dear... For the sheer amount of cash your going to have to spend to do this, WHY NOT IMPORT A WHOLE ONE FROM NZ. Shipping over the ditch isn't that much, just import it and don't register it, then swap over damn near everything (I believe the rear floorpan still fits the 4WD components, however your suspension WILL be different.) and have a V6 VR4. Put it this way - when my old cars wreck got auctioned off, it went for <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>$1200</span>. Even factoring in shipping, you'd have every single component needed for your conversion, for less than that engine importer is trying to rip you off for. Just some food for thought.

What engine is in yours now? I'm assuming it'll be either an n/a 4G63, or n/a 6A11/6A12. If you just want a cruiser, why have 4WD? It'll just weigh more and suck more gas.

Failing that, you CAN get 8G VR4's in australia, even "speed" magazine had a write up on one which had been imported a while ago.

No matter how you look at it, you're looking at a significant outlay of cash to achieve this, if your not seriously interested in racingthe thing then don't bother with the 4wd setup, I get the feeling it'll cause you a whole lot of issues for not a lot of gain, since judging by your website you dont really know as much about this as you try and give the impression of.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

i never said i know alot .. its just the start point .. and i want the awd because i prefer the awd car's a personal thing not for another reason .. and australian laws don't allow for importation of galants to australia unless they are 89 or before .. and i know this because i checked into it a while ago.

Australian laws suck ass totally.

and im nto after a V6 anyway all i want is a 4.

at the moment im just trying to sort all i need to know this is my first project car.

Okay, my bad, your website says youre after a V6 as well.

So anyway, what engines in your car now? I've seen 4G93s, 4G63's, 6A11s and 6A12s (normal ones, mivec, and TT) all put into this bodyshell, and all from factory. Depending on which engine you have now, kinda dictates which one you *should* put in as a replacement. If its got a 4G63 in it now, get hold of one from either an early evo or an older VR4, it'll be a very painless installation. If it has a 6A12, my advise is to stick with it. Its a much smoother, rev happy engine than the 4G's, plus it'll be unique in oz - which I get the feeling might be a bit more important! Also - theres enough power there in stock form to push 1450+ kilos of VR4 to a mid 12 second 1/4. You'll be spending a hell of a lot more on an old 4G63 to do the same.

Also, take a look underneath the rear of your car - is there room for the rear diff and associated bits and pieces? If not, I'd personally advise looking down the "buy another car" avenue, purely from a "it'll cost you a freakin fortune" viewpoint. If there is, then either flick me an email, or start looking through some kiwi sites for a wrecked 7G vr4, they even come in the same body style you have. Put it this way, if your car shares the same floorpan and has room for everything, then you can grab the driveline out of a wrecked E84 and bung it in there. Its as simple as that. But I can't help but wonder just why the AWD aspect is such a huge issue, okay, its a hell of a lot better than FWD, but getting hold of a decent gearbox with a front LSD and keeping the car FWD will keep your costs down HUGELY, and the car will still drive just fine. I'll leave that question up to your wallet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to kill your idea off. Its just something you really need to think through, and if your not doing the work yourself, visit a workshop and take a deep breath, it won't come cheaply.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion

Fun times 8)

Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Hatch, auto V6, EFI, ULP, twin turbo, ABS, power steer, power windows, power mirrors, air conditioned, climate air conditioning, cruise, central locking, alarm, alloys, CD player, tint, very special car, test drive and see, 90000kms, $12990, WJK-588. LVD181168 GTR Auto, 44 Main North Road PROSPECT 08-8269 3000

Okay, thats the price for an AUTO TT in australia... See, you could have one! Should try getting in touch with him, I'm guessing it'll cost less than our current plan.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion

Fun times 8)

i wounder if its underside is the same .. there is no use in me buying one if im gonna replace every part on her anyway .. because i want it to be a brand new car practically

By "replacing every part anyway" do you mean whole new diffs, gearbox, the lot? Chances of anything dieing other than the centre diff or gearbox are VERY slim, and a rebuild will bring them back to "as-new" spec anyway. Replacing the whole driveline will put your budget way over what needs to be spent, but hey, thats your perogative. Me, I'd rather be spending that kinda cash on beer/more go fast bits/a GTR. Whatever floats your boat.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion

Fun times 8)

what i want is a G8 but they weren't released in australia and import laws won't allow them .. but i also want a brand new car .. hence why im doing a rebuild and this is not my main car remember .. i have a car to get around in this can take a yr or 2 to build

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast