The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine choice

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 45 of 45
    I've seen photos of an 8G in the flesh in australia, you just have to own it yourself for a year overseas before it can be imported. The auzzie import laws are damn crazy
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

yeah ive seen and talked to the guy of that one .. but the thing is if the car is damaged on the trip over they still have the right to rip it apart and trash it .. its to much of a risk

PaulBlackGSX
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GPTourer)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Evo III 4g63t is a 7bolt. Â*7bolts made overseas do not crankwalk. Â*Only the US 7bolts </div>

That topic has been debated over on the DSM forums, and I'm not sure I'm convinced. I'm not doubting your statement, but I have a problem with how you put it. First, what is a US 7-bolt? My engine was made in Japan just like the Evo 3 motor. People have opned up "JDM" motors and have found nothing different on the inside then what they find on "USDM" engines. The differences lie in the injectors, manifolds and turbos all external pieces. If there were a ready supply of english speaking EVo III owners on the dsm sites we could compare our findings, but I can't just dismiss the whole thing as only a US pehnomenoa.</div>

That's not entirely true. I've got an EVO III motor in my 2G GSX Auto (wife's car actually). There are a few key internal differences to the motor that you can spot very easily. I'm assuming there are differences in the rods and even in some of the bottom end design, though I didn't open up the EVO III motor beyond swapping the head. There are even a few more external differences, though minor, like the waterpipe design.

First, the pistons are different. Higher compression. If you look at the piston tops (even through the spark plug holes) you can see the different piston code. Cams are different, slightly more aggressive (like 1G cams)

Crankwalk can happen to any car. It does happen a LOT more often in the 2G motors than it does in an average car. No doubt it's cause is debated to death, different people have different theories. However, reports from Australian performance shops indicate they don't have any higher numbers of crankwalk with their 7bolts like we see here in the US.

Just thought I would share.

GPTourer
    Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the compression part. However, I still don't think the minor dfferences the EVO III has have any thing to do with CW, but just more stock power.

PaulBlackGSX
    It definitely depends on what if anything is different in the bottom end of the motor. Since I didn't look at the bottom end, can't really other than to speculate. One thing is certain, thank Mitsu for delivering us an engine that had this problem to begin with in at the very least the US model cars.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123