The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Automatic Tranny Owners, This Poll is for You!

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    SamirDarji

Automatic Tranny Owners, This Poll is for You!

There's so much talk about how the auto trannys have problems.

But there are also people on here who've never had a problem.

(Personally, I think the main reason there are so many tranny problems is not the tranny itself, but the tranny cooler, which can clog, and the wrong fluid which will it kill it.)

So here's the question, Have you had any major or what seemed like a major problem with your auto tranny?

smsphoto4
    My car has over 110,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with any part of it. Especially the tranny and i've only changed the fluid once at 90,000 miles. FYI the factory recogmends every 30,000.

TGC Regular
    37,xxx miles, no problems yet, and i need to get my 37,500 check up soon

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, none of you guys have had any problems...YET. it WILL go out on you, gauranteed. it's happened to everyone at some point, unless they swapped or rebuilt it before.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

well guys i just got done with my second tranny it has gone to sleep, i can say i am part of the reason i have had two tranny's go, i race alot on the streets and i use the tranny as a manual i downshift to second or i take the o/d off so i kind of blew the tranny myself thats why my third tranny is going to be a manual i am going to do the convertion
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    well guys i just got done with my second tranny it has gone to sleep, i can say i am part of the reason i have had two tranny's go, i race alot on the streets and i use the tranny as a manual i downshift to second or i take the o/d off so i kind of blew the tranny myself thats why my third tranny is going to be a manual i am going to do the convertion
    stupid question im about to ask but.. whats that about the over drive.. where is the button or what do you have to do 2 release it
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

Proto
    Donovan this is the 7g forum, not 8g.. its on the left side of our shifter. Ill show you tomorrow.

TGC Regular
    uhoh, i didnt realized this was 7g, does that mean i shouldnt have voted? i thought it was a general galant discussion. and btw, the only thing on my shifter is the button to release the shifter, is it only on certain years/models? i have an 02 ES

TGC Regular
    whoooops
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

Proto
    Ive only seen it on 7 g's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, none of you guys have had any problems...YET. it WILL go out on you, gauranteed. it's happened to everyone at some point, unless they swapped or rebuilt it before.</div>

I have never heard of a mechanical device that works forever, but with good maintenance and good treatment they can last a while.

If you street race daily, constantly rev the engine (and transmission) up and do not change the fluid and filter regularly. I guarantee you ANY transmission or engine will die before its useful lifespan.

At 125k miles, I have had no transmission problems yet. (Of course, I do not expect the car to run forever, even with good maintenance, it is also a daily driver)

I change the trans. fluid every 30K miles. And yes, I use Dexron III.
    1998 Galant 178k miles Automatic
    1996 Galant 170k miles Automatic

GX-7

2nd

I'm on my 2nd tran right now when out on my around 78,XXX miles
    hoply gst auto tran will work on my g..

brandon
    I'm still not sure if it's my tranny slipping or if I have other problems, but the tranny on my old Galant ran til about 150,000 miles no problem (and only died when the person I sold it to took no care of it).

I think all you guys who have "bad transmissions" are the ones who like to drive like aholes.

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pesuazo)</div><div class='quotemain'>I change the trans. fluid every 30K miles. And yes, I use Dexron III.</div>
    Watch the rpm guage when you floor it. If you notice it hesitating a bit while climbing in rpms, you are killing your tranny with the Dextron III.

You can get some lubegard friction modifier to fix that (it changes the properties of the Dextron III to meet Diamond SP requirements), and then just use some Diamond SP or equivalent fluid from now on.

Well my trany is acting up, but I guess that I should have changed the front engine mount sooner.
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well my trany is acting up, but I guess that I should have changed the front engine mount sooner.</div>
    Mine was acting up bad, but I changed the fluid and did a complete check over and it's fine now. I'm harder on it than I ever was and it's dead solid.

Samir, you know I had the tranny flushed and fluid changed about 20K ago, but I'll do it again and see if things improve.
    I drive this thing hard, like everyone else, do you think I should change any of the other mounts
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by jiul
    Samir, you know I had the tranny flushed and fluid changed about 20K ago, but I'll do it again and see if things improve.
    I drive this thing hard, like everyone else, do you think I should change any of the other mounts
    If it's easy to change the mounts while you're in there, go ahead and do them all. I don't really think the mounts have much to do with it. Check your cooler and lines to make sure they aren't clogged and run some really good fluid. For me, that completely fixed my problems.