The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine shut off while driving ...

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    gil_espinosa

Engine shut off while driving ...

My wife was driving and the engine shuts off and the the instrument lights came one (I'm guessing because the key was still in the "On" position after the engine shut off). When I try to start the car back up, it doesn't want to turn over.

I check for spark from the spark plug wires by sticking a screwdriver up the wire and grounding it to the car, tried to start it and there's no spark.

Any ideas of how to diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Check your alternator....then try to check if there is any vaccume hoses lose or cracked. If those aren't the problem....check the ignition coil and any related relays.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

redboy
    was there any other noises when it killed?? ive never heard of and distributor or anything just goin out with out wearing out first, but shiiiii with dsm's anything is possible(hehe). chek your alternator and battery first, then relays.....hell could b alot of things doing that. chek those then post again for the next steps to take, they r a pain in the nek so hope its one of those.....

Proto2
    i was driving my galant 94 down the highway.and the same thing happened to me when i was going at high speed of 85 mph.then it shut off.and i hate it when that happens.cuz the brakes get stiff so i had to press it harder so that it can slow down.then at the side of the road.i turned her back on with no problems.but this happened to me bcuz the radiator fan one of them werent working.so for it to work i had to disconnect the socket so that both of them can run the cool air.but when disconnected.the 'check engine' warning signal would be on.but it was the only way for me to keep the car running cool .so check for any plug sockets and stuff

BlankMan
    As a thought, you'll get the same symptons with a timing belt break... car shuts of and cranks but does not turn over...

J

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    true indeed, sounds like your timing belt went as well as the rest of us around this time of year.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

is this sort of thing common on the 7 g? I mean it happened twice to me.. I was lucky both times

PaulBlackGSX
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95mitsu03)</div><div class='quotemain'>is this sort of thing common on the 7 g? I mean it happened twice to me.. I was lucky both times</div>

Shouldn't be if you replace your timing belt at regularly scheduled intervals.

Definitely sounds like timing belt broke.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaulBlackGSX)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95mitsu03)</div><div class='quotemain'>is this sort of thing common on the 7 g? I mean it happened twice to me.. I was lucky both times</div>

Definitely sounds like timing belt broke.</div>

it happened at 50,000 then again at 75,000

PaulBlackGSX
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95mitsu03)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaulBlackGSX)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95mitsu03)</div><div class='quotemain'>is this sort of thing common on the 7 g? I mean it happened twice to me.. I was lucky both times</div>

Definitely sounds like timing belt broke.</div>

it happened at 50,000 then again at 75,000</div>

The original factory belt broke at 50,000 miles? Nobody serviced it or messed with the timing belt or timing belt area and there were no coolant/oil leaks? Who replaced the timing belt again when it first broke at 50,000 miles?

Proto
    My timing belt wasn't replaced at all that I know of.