The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: i'm going to blow my car up....seriously...help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shannon957g)</div><div class='quotemain'>Steve!!!!!

Don't give up.

Don't ever give up...

I'm sure many of us have been in your situation, especially with our 7th generation Gaylants (lol)....

One thing I've learned though is to never give up on the G, because it's never given up on me.

Life gets rough, just please...don't let go. :?</div>

ummm... where'd you come from? lol

when is we gon be free????

8G_GTZ
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hodgson316)</div><div class='quotemain'>you've also got to look at the previous owner... If I had known that the previous owner of my g beat the shit out of it, I would have killed them Â*:)</div>

actually, i just got a carfax quote(thanks shannon), and it was clear. it had 2 previous owners, 1 being a rental car place in FL. and then a family of 5 around here, then to me.

steve

shannon957g
    I've been a member, but have been "mute" or as we can put it better: can't log in for some reason.
    Mad props to GalantGuy96 for finally getting me a working name on here.

Lame.

Yep, so I'm Shannon...with a 1995 Galant S, Slaughtomatic(as I call it) /Autotragic(as my Maxima friend says), Black on gray, 103k. Safe to say 104k.

My Galant?

Has it's many problems.
    Tomorrow I have to go to the dealer and order/pick up a crankshaft pulley.
    I hate the local dealer...they fucked me over big time during the summer when I left them the Galant for a WEEK to completely fix mechanically ....or all they could.

Many problems I still have yet to fix, and many have been fixed....just wish all these mechanical things would go away, so I can work on a paintjob and wheels.

8G_GTZ
    well, this loan thing is new to me. i need a cosigner which i know mom or dad WILL NOT sign. WTF do i do? if i go back to my last job which i will regret doing, i can make very good money to pay a loan off. i just found out loans are very good when your galant takes 2 dumps on you.

steve

shannon957g
    I'd sign for ya.

Hell, I'm not even 18 yet, so I can't get a loan or sign for anything.

Some people are stuck worse in the shit pit than you...but you know what? Keep smiling, and maybe we can torch our G's together! lololol

GalantGuy96
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shannon957g)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've been a member, but have been "mute" or as we can put it better: can't log in for some reason.
    Mad props to GalantGuy96 for finally getting me a working name on here.

Lame.

Yep, so I'm Shannon...with a 1995 Galant S, Slaughtomatic(as I call it) /Autotragic(as my Maxima friend says), Black on gray, 103k. Safe to say 104k.

My Galant?

Has it's many problems.
    Tomorrow I have to go to the dealer and order/pick up a crankshaft pulley.
    I hate the local dealer...they fucked me over big time during the summer when I left them the Galant for a WEEK to completely fix mechanically ....or all they could.

Many problems I still have yet to fix, and many have been fixed....just wish all these mechanical things would go away, so I can work on a paintjob and wheels.</div>
    heyy whats up shannon...WooWoo!.....lol, jk

so steve, y dont u wanna go back to your old job?

i know how to make dynamite....let's blow the bitch up....HAPPY NEW YEAR
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

GalantGuy96
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know how to make dynamite</div>
    do u really? show us how.

Im in the same boat. I have replaced, 2 times the tranny, rebuilt the engine, replaced all the suspension, 2 alternator, now I think I need the a/c compressor. 2 winshields (this car likes rocks and flying objects).

I have 218K drive 165 miles a day. Oil is leaking again from pan and oil filter housing, one tranny (the one on right axle).

And a few other items. Like Have to pay 180 for towing, car rental.

So , either you sell or just hang in there. Once you fix something, do you want to have to do the same on another car.

Dark Anghell
    Here's what you can do...go to a mechanic that you absolutely trust, and ask him if it's worth fixing this one. I did that to my GSX, but the mechanic was an a-hole and he said it's well worth it. I gues I should give a bit more to the story, the car finally broke days before turbo upgrade due to a crankshaft that snapped in half...due to a dumb ass mechanic. That's why I can't stress this enough...get a mechanic that you trust who will have nothing to loose/gain from the answer.

As for a 79 Chevy...keep in mind that that car probably doesn't have fuel injection, and it was built in the times when chevy cars were built right.

Mainly things will break bekause plastic gets really hard and fragile, so any slight movement and it will shatter (been there), years of different oils being put in the engine are taking their toll (you want to stick to one brand of oil), and the miles are also helping out.

Some people on this board are very lucky with the cars they got. Others will have problems with an identical car. Sometimes it has to do with the time when the car was built, where the engine got assembled and who assembled the engine. Imagine that the guy who assembled your engine has been in the company for a week or so. Or if engine is being assembled using leftovers that have few imperfections. My friend owns GSX identical to what I had, and he loves it...he even bought mine when it broke. While I totally hate that car.

If it costs $3000 or so to get your car fixed, you can buy a 97' galant for about that price, or try to locate a GS model, this way you don't have to do the DOHC swap

Good luck. But if it's possible don't spend too much in fixing it, after a while you will hate that car, and you will hate yurself on spending all that hard earned cash on the car just so that it can break on you again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantGuy96)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know how to make dynamite</div>
    do u really? show us how.</div>

i'm not postin that shit publicly....thats why someone invented AIM
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

Experienced TGC Member
    silly people 164k. junk it and move on. Did you really expect a car with 164 to drive like its brand new? Hell I only have 65k and everything on the car is shot from PS to air recirc lol Cheaper to buy a junker car for a grand that may only last u 2 years before it needs work, then junk that one and buy another car for a grand. They may not look pretty but its better then takin the bus =P
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

8G_GTZ
    well, guys, good news and bad news.

the good news is you guys are great and made me feel a little better. thanks and also i replaced the spark plug wires, added oil, and an oil additive to fix it. it doesn't smoke anymore and idles great. i toook the wheels off and i cleaned them very well, and cleaned the car as well.

bad news, i yelled at mom today because not onloy did they always say they don't have money to help me and my car, but they buy one of those flatscreen plasmas on your wall, and new furniture. so i yelled at mom for that and walked out. :evil:

thanks for your help guys.

steve

GalantGuy96
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantGuy96)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know how to make dynamite</div>
    do u really? show us how.</div>

i'm not postin that shit publicly....thats why someone invented AIM</div>
    aim-galantguy96

SamirDarji
    I just came out feeling like this about my G. After researching carefully and working hard on it, making sure stuff is done right, I think I'm ok for now. But it is an old car and it does have things that wear out and need to be replaced. And it will almost always start to seem like it's not worth it.

But put it in perspective, for the thousands of dollars more that a new car would be, if you put that money in the G, wouldn't it be just as good? I see people trash cars all the time because of a little thing that costs more to fix than the car is worth. But a semi-reliable car on the road is worth quite a bit more than the book value of a car. Do you ever see road-worthy cars selling for less than $2k even when they are worth less? I haven't. I even missed buying a 95 LS because I waited a few hours to check what he value of the car should be. It should've been $1750. It sold for $2500 4 hours after it was put on sale.

I know how reliability can be an issue when you have only one car. But why not get another car similar if not the same? The chances of having both broken won't be that likely and you can always work on one when the other is down. That's one of the reasons I have my Accord.

I thought about buying a new car around $20k or so. But then the same $20k in the Galant would yield a 4g63t-powered car with a custom interior and all sorts of goodies and still have cash leftover. So what if the book value says <$2k.

Dark Anghell
    That's true about putting the 20k into a galant, and making it a reliable car. That's what i thought about my previous ride...instead of spending 10k on a new one, why not spend hafl as much and make my current car better. Well I did that, and the car was still breaking down. After a while I just gave up. Most people here like to fix up their cars, modify them, make them faster...that's where the money goes. But if you no longer have any money to fix up the car, and all your free time is spent fixing things that are wrong...slowly your love for that thing grows into hate.

Also this is kinda offtopic and can be applied to any car model but hee it goes...after you spend 20K on a galant or in my case a legacy wagon, what do you end up with? A Galant or a Legacy wagon, now they have more money put into them...but it's still the same car. So in the back of my mind I have a question that won't go away...is it worth it? Or wuld it be better to save that 20k and put it towards a house or a much better car perofmance wise and stylewise (Benz, BMW, Porshe, etc.). Maybe I'm growing up...I don't know. :? Anyone in the same boat???

i think most people have had major problems with cars not matter what make it is as soon as a car hits over 10 yrs and its not looked after then yeah shit's gonna go wrong .. like my g6 its off the road at the moment waiting repairs .. and i still love the car and especially love G's no matter what happens .. but on the 20 grand question .. thats what im looking at over the next yr or 2 on the g7 im buying as my project car .. i mean i could go buy a new car but i love the shape of the G's so what am i doing im tearing her down to her shell rust proofing her respraying and starting from scratch again .. new engine .. new drive train .. new gear box .. new interior .. new electronics .. alot people probably thinking whats the use in that its still gonna be a galant .. but thats the point .. its a galant .. i love the galants and i plan to have a brand new one based on the 94 body .. so it just comes down to what you wanna do .. you cold buy any car and it could be a dud .. thats cars .. lemon's exist .. but you can change engines .. gear box's interiors and so on .. it all comes down to the shell .. if you love the shape and the spirit the name invokes .. then you will go the hard yards .. look at people who have their g6's doing over 250 kw's .. its about the love

laterz[/img]

That last post was really inspirational. I personally plan on keepind my car for a long time, even if I have to keep swapping shit, or fixing it. Like others have said, why put a crapload of money into a different car if you could put that in your car and make it better? But particularly in your situation Steve, I'd keep your car. You've dumped a nice amount of money into that thing, and I definitely wouldn't want to junk. If you're short on cash then you're not gonna afford a new whip anyway. I'm sure the money you'd spend on getting a new car would make your car better. And once you come into some money, swap a few things around and it'll remind you of the reason why you've kept your car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shogun7g)</div><div class='quotemain'>actually, i just got a carfax quote(thanks shannon), and it was clear. it had 2 previous owners, 1 being a rental car place in FL. and then a family of 5 around here, then to me.</div>

Maybe that's the problem with your ride; it used to be a rental. I know every rental I've gotten, I've beat the shit out of it. Neutral drops, power slides, ebrake pulls at high speeds. People beat on rental cars, badly. It pays to get a Carfax report BEFORE you buy the car.

shannon957g
    That's true...

Atleast all the ones we've gotten Carfax's on are cleared for accidents, except for mine.

In 1997, when Mitzi was just two years old, she was involved in a rear end collision. I don't know if that means she was rear ended, or the G rearended someone else.

Gah!

Plus there is something kind of fishy with my right rear passenger door....it's like someone tried to bondo around the door handle on the outside, and didn't seal it correctly, so moisture got into it and fucked it all up, so now the power lock doesn't work...and the paint around the door handle has crevices and I'm pretty sure it's rusted....

Steve...just don't give up. Think about how hard we've driven our beautiful machines, and they could be worse off now...

Stay positive!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast