The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The problem hasn't been fixed.

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    shannon957g

The problem hasn't been fixed.

:evil:

Last night, the Galant wouldn't start. It would have been okay, but I was definitely an hour away from home.

:evil:

This is not the first NOR 10th time it has done this to me. The battery is fine, the alternator is fine, and now the pulley is fine---and still, it dies.
    Something just pulls and pulls from the battery. Argh.

:x

It is going for sale in the newspaper.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Do you have a alarm system of some sort?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Do what i did.....when you park it pop the hood n disconnect the neg. battery cable.....just an idea...my car battry dies all the time i think it was cuz the time i locked my keys inside the bar u stick in there to pop the lock ruined something cuz they keep locking/unlocking with blunt movement to the drivers door
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

shannon957g
    No alarm system, no streetglow or ANYTHING.... Even have the OEM halogen's in there (we thought that the silverstars and the redline bulbs pulled...but apparently they didnt).....

Ugh.....

How much you selling it for?

shannon957g
    In the paper (if they'd ever try and contact me back...) I'd probably put it for like 3k....

We've put alot of money into replacing parts and stuff on this thing.
    On here, probably like 2600, or 2700?..heck I dunno. She's not a bad looking car. Could use a paint job (with it being black, a Mitsubishi, a 1995, and a TN car originally from Alabama...).

We're gonna replace the plugs/wires to see if anything happens...
    This car is my everything. If it doesn't sell, then I'm just gonna put wheels and a body kit (MAYBE...) on it...

We don't mind paying to fix the problems, it's just I got an AMAZING offer on a 2000 Mazda Protege (ES, 5-speed, cd/am/fm, spoiler, alloys, etc)...
    and I'm also trying to pick up a second job, so why not put it towards a newer car? Egh...Confusion lol.

have u made sure that the neg and poss. cables are both securely connected to the battery? because mine did the same thing and all i had to do was move around or tighten the neg or poss. cables.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    So it doesnt start? It starts then dies? What sounds does it make if any?

Are your batt terminals corroded or gooed up?
    7g for life!

shannon957g
    Yes, the battery cables are Grrrrrreat....

Before we replaced the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley:

One time this happened: I was sitting at a stop light, with my turn signal on, and I look down at the gauge cluster, and the lights are dimming, and the cars RPM's are going down, it's fighting...but it finally hits zero. Everything is then DEAD.
    Couldn't restart the car, or anything... We had to tow it to Wal-Mart to even get a chance to jumpstart it. It worked fine to get home.

That's ONLY happened ONCE.

Now, what happens most of the time, when it ever does happen:

After placing the car in park, and then roll up the windows --if they move SLOOOWWWWWWWWWLY, then I know the car will most likely not start again...but lately I've had the windows rolled up since it is winter. Then, I try to restart my car, and it doesn't start.
    I got the battery the day after I bought my car, I've never left any lights on. I should have taken the need for a new battery as an omen...

Also, I've noticed that when my gauge lights dim by themselves, sometimes the RPM needle ticks just a little bit back and forth (the engine's rpm's aren't going up, just the needle moves back and forth a tiny tiny bit, as if something electrical is wrong.)

Obviously, it's something electrical. We've been through 3 alternators, and that is not the problem. Something just pulls and pulls.

I also notice that sometimes when I start my car, that the CD player turns itself on, and sometimes it doesn't even bother.
    It also does NOT remember any radio stations and it never has... (these incidences are probably due to a faulty cd player)...but maybe it has something to do with it....maybe the cd player is CAUSING all of these problems?

And when it just up and died that one time, it didn't make any noises, just the sound of the engine dying was all...
    Ahhh! lol

Ever since we got the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley replaced, it has only not started up once.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense... :/

GalantGuy96
    un hook everything that could possibly use any power.
    cd player, lights (that u already said u dont have), or anything else the uses power.
    and see if it does it again.
    if it starts, then gradually start adding the stuff back on, making sure to start it after each thing is put back.....
    it shouldnt take too long.
    one last thing, does your abttery have water in it? or is a maintanence free battery?

Just a thought...if the remote wire for the cd player is hooked up to the constant power and the constant wire is hooked up to the remote wire, wouldn't that cause a draw on the battery, and cause the radio to lose it's memory everytime the car is shut off.

Your problem sounds similar to problems I've seen on my '88 Buick LeSabre when my Mother and then my Sister had it. Three different times it happened since my Mother bought the car new in '88. Two times it was the crankshaft sensor and the other time it was the fuel pump.

shannon957g
    Wow...well...I'll get back to you guys on this later...Something happened today on the highway, and the G is scraped up. Luckily I got that f*er's license plate number. He tried to run...but the Galant had just enough scoot to keep up with him.....

Dunno if I should file it with the insurance company.

Roofing shingles + front bumpers + speeds of or in excess 70 mph= BAD.

ALWAYS do YOUR insurance company last....if i were you, id go to the police station and tell them about your H&R, and they will most likely give you info on the onwers insurance, and call HIS insurance. but first make a report, and tell tehm your cars very damage, they will most liekly NOT look at your car, but ask you where you got hit(@ the pol;ice station) and liek i aid if it were me, id add to my story, this way, i get a bigger check at the end. hope yoru okay.....

shannon957g
    This is kinda off topic...but it kinda is a car problem....
    Yeah, it happened in the city I work in..the problem is, it's Knoxville and I have NO idea where a police station could be...

Should I also report to the police that the guy had a low beam headlight out, must have been going in speeds excess of 105 mph + and rode in the emergency lane to pass by another car and myself, and also had his map-light on 4/5 of the time? Haha..I bet the guy has a driving record a mile long...kinda makes me wonder if the guy has insurance, if he was trying to get me to rear end him and then realized it wasn't gonna work (thanks, Bendix Brakes ) and then he started to run. Gosh...TN drivers...how stupid can they get? lol

Also, I noticed something else today:

When parked and my windows are fully rolled up and I try to "roll them up" farther, the engine drops down a good 200-300 rpms... but I "stop" rolling the windows up and the engine returns to normal idle?

If evrything else is ok.

Have you checked the rear window defroster.

If the light is out, you will forget to turn it off and the battery will discharge. There is a recall for the 94/95 galants and the rear window defogger.

shannon957g
    Actually, my dad noticed one of the lights on the setting button is out...
    Hmmm..but the rear defroster DOES work....

Should I take it to the local Mitsubishi Stealership to have it looked at?
    I've gotten screwed over by them BIG time (hundreds of dollars)...so maybe take it to Rice Mitsubishi (haha..rice..lol) then?

Thanks.

You can take it to the dealer and explain that you were told that there is a recall for the defogger switch. I posted a list of recalls for the 95 galants.

Another thing you could do if you can is to remove the fuse or make sure that you turn the switch off ( I use a sticky pad) to put it over the switch when is off and remove it when is on. Until I can make time to replace the bulb.

Also explain to the dealer the problem you are having, they can check it out in no more than 2 hours. Mine took 1 hour. I did not do the recall at that time because I got call back to work.

Do some testing by removing the fuse for a couple of days if you can and see if the battery discharge. Another thing you can do is to remove the alternator and take it to a place that fix alternators and they will check it out for you, but it has to be out of the car.

shannon957g
    Thanks for the tips.

I was wondering, could a broken motor mount also cause electrical drains?

Because I ran the G through a ditch a while back, and the car has vibrated ever since (especially in reverse) and we haven't had battery problems until then.

Could it also cause acceleration sputter?

shannon957g
    We finally figured out 2 months and 600 dollars later, that it was my damn headlight bulbs.

I guess switching from 55w to 100w headlight beams....was a bad choice.