The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CF HOODS 101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    TGC Regular

CF HOODS 101

okay, well i guess people kinda stopped paying attention to the questions in my other post, so i will make a new post specifally for my CF hood quetsions, and hopefully this will help all future newbies with their questions. and if anyone else has any questions on this topic, please post it so we can get some answers.

1) i hear everyone talking about the VIS hood, is this the only hood made, or is it just the best? how is the fitment, i read some posts where people said they needed some modification, so has that been fixed or what?

2) will a strut bar interfere with any of the aftermarket CF hoods?

3)tell me about hoodpins, why do i hear some people saying their hoods fly open when they are driving really fast?? do the CF hoods not latch one like a regular hood, and is that why you need hoodpins?

4) where do the hoodpins connect to? and what are some good ones, are the sparcos the only way to go? are hoodpins pretty much universal?

5) does the hood still connect to the hinges, so if i want to open the hood, it opens just like a regular one?

6)what can you guys tell me about paiting a CF hood? is it something most shops will already know how to do? or is there anything tricky involved?

7)and how about keeping the hood shiny, is there something special one should use to polish/clean the hood? when i wash the car, can i just wash the hood like i usually do with the rest of the body, just carwash and regular stuff?

i think im all out of questions for now, if anyone else has questions or tips or ANSWERS, please feel free to inform the rest of us, or atleast me.

8G_GTZ

Re: CF HOODS 101

1. There are more companies that make a CF hood for your application. There should be about 3-4 if I'm not mistaken.

2. A strut bar should not interfere with the hood. The "skeleton" is molded to the OEM hood skeleton. If any interferences, you may cut it, you might not. It will only weaken it.

3. Depending on how good of a mold it is, you most likely won't need them. Some latches aren't exactly in the correct area, so you may need them.

4. Hood pins are universal. They connect to the radiator support with 2 holes drilled(sometimes not).

5. Most companies should have the holes with the correct thread for the stock bolts.

6. If you take it to a quality shop, they will know how.

7. You can wash it the same as the rest of the car. When you dry it, do not use a bath towel. Use a shamoise or 100% cotton terry cloth. You should wax it often to keep the shine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    1) i hear everyone talking about the VIS hood, is this the only hood made, or is it just the best? how is the fitment, i read some posts where people said they needed some modification, so has that been fixed or what?</div>

VIS is not the best out there. You also have the choice with Extreme Dimension hoods and I know of a couple of other copy cats but there is questions on fitment and quality. I would only choice between VIS and ED. Some need to modify there latch to fit or cut the underskeleton to fit and some do not. All really depends on the quality of the mold and company.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    </div>

You will not know that until you get the hood in. Some people need to modify some do not. Luck of the draw really.

3)tell me about hoodpins, why do i hear some people saying their hoods fly open when they are driving really fast?? do the CF hoods not latch one like a regular hood, and is that why you need hoodpins?
    </div>

I went through a year and a half and didn't need any hood pins but I strongly recommend them. There have been members that did not use them or forgot to latch there hood properly and the hood came back and flew into the windshield.

Most companies like VIS and ED use factory latches for there hoods but other companies I have seen do not use any latches. But those are for different cars.

I would recommend hood pins. Better to drop down $30.00 for a good set of hood pins then to loose $500.00 plus on a windshield and hood. Piece of mind really...

4) where do the hoodpins connect to? and what are some good ones, are the sparcos the only way to go? are hoodpins pretty much universal?
    </div>

Hood pins are universal but get good ones. I don't suggest using the cheap ones because I have seen them rust before and to have to install new hood pins can be a pain in the ass. Also I do not recommend locking hood pins with keys or anything because I have seen people lose the keys to the locking mechanism rusting shut.

5) does the hood still connect to the hinges, so if i want to open the hood, it opens just like a regular one?
    </div>

Connect to the regular hinges.

6)what can you guys tell me about paiting a CF hood? is it something most shops will already know how to do? or is there anything tricky involved?</div>

Any quality shop should be able to paint the hood for you. Only thing I would suggest is to make sure they primer the hood or you will get pin holes in the paint and reclear the whole thing because no matter what hood you get whether it is VIS or ED they can yellow.

7)and how about keeping the hood shiny, is there something special one should use to polish/clean the hood? when i wash the car, can i just wash the hood like i usually do with the rest of the body, just carwash and regular stuff?</div>

Just wash it like you normally would your car but do not use any wax with abrasives and don't use Eagle one with that nanowax. It gets into the pinholes.

i think im all out of questions for now, if anyone else has questions or tips or ANSWERS, please feel free to inform the rest of us, or atleast me.</div>

Hopefully I answered all your questions.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Wow, great info, thanks. If my tax return is good enough I may be getting me one of these.
    What is the meaning of life? 42.

Censee
    the biggest problems with the latch that comes with the hood its,that the area around the latch is fiberglass and after awhile the fiberglass starts to crack around the area,,therefore one day it will eventually break off and fly up on u,,,,,,sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt,,,but i wouldnt risk it

TGC Regular
    ooohhhh, okay, thanks for all the informative information guys. so about VIS vs ED, does it come down to personal preference, or price, does maybe one have something the other one lacks? do they come with any type of warranty/guarantee? and where can i find these hoods? are the ones on Ebay real? how much would i expect to pay for one, i think i saw some on ebay for around 420 or so, does that sound right?

EDIT: okay, i just checked ED's site, and it looks like they only have the monster hood, which is a lil different from most of the ones i have seen, but also, from the pic, i dont think its even CF/FG, and it says its JDM, what kind of modifications would i be looking at to make a JDM hood fit?

oh, here is the link... here

TGC Regular
    note to anyone doing research:

keep hoodpins far away from eachother to keep the corners of the hood down.

and for more information on hoodpins , please visit :

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...p=318831#318831

didnt someone have a hood that they were having problems fitting over the front strut towers?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay, well i guess people kinda stopped paying attention to the questions in my other post, so i will make a new post specifally for my CF hood quetsions, and hopefully this will help all future newbies with their questions. and if anyone else has any questions on this topic, please post it so we can get some answers.

1) i hear everyone talking about the VIS hood, is this the only hood made, or is it just the best? how is the fitment, i read some posts where people said they needed some modification, so has that been fixed or what?

6)what can you guys tell me about paiting a CF hood? is it something most shops will already know how to do? or is there anything tricky involved?

7)and how about keeping the hood shiny, is there something special one should use to polish/clean the hood? when i wash the car, can i just wash the hood like i usually do with the rest of the body, just carwash and regular stuff?

i think im all out of questions for now, if anyone else has questions or tips or ANSWERS, please feel free to inform the rest of us, or atleast me.</div>

Hey wassup.. Your in OC? I am located here myself.. Why dont you come by and take a look at the hoods in person that way you can touch and feel the hood, rather than talk about it online. PM me and we'll work something out! Hope this helps.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fall Out Boy)</div><div class='quotemain'>didnt someone have a hood that they were having problems fitting over the front strut towers?</div>

Alot of people have that problem because the hoods are JDM. For some reason, not everybody has had that problem. You would think that if one person has the problem, that all Galants are the same and they would all have the problem, but they don't. I don't understand it. Anyway, I was one of the unlucky ones and had to notch out the frame of the hood so it wouldn't hit the strut towers.

Here is a quote from a post I made in another thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Alright here are my pics. I used a dremel with a router bit to cut it out, but first I started a hole with a drill bit so I could use the router bit. To find out exactly where to cut, I put chalk on the strut tower where the hood was hitting and then closed the hood. When the hood opened, there was chalk on the hood where I needed to cut. I kept doing the chalk thing until chalk didn't show up on the hood anymore.

In the pic below, you will see the clips that hold the washer hoses onto the hood. The hood doesn't come with holes for those, so you will have to make your own. If you look closely on your hood, you will see spots that look like they were once holes but were covered with pieces of fiberglass tape. Some of those spots are in almost the exact spot as the stock hood and were the spots I used to drill for the clips. Also, I couldn't get all the clips off of my stock hood, so instead of breaking them trying to get them off, I just went to the dealer and bought all new clips.

</div>

TGC Regular

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blownoffvavle)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Hey wassup.. Your in OC? I am located here myself.. Why dont you come by and take a look at the hoods in person that way you can touch and feel the hood, rather than talk about it online. PM me and we'll work something out! Hope this helps.</div>

hey, yeh, i knew you were somewhere around here, cuz thats what silly told me in the other thread where you were saying you were selling the hood, and i really wanted it cuz my oem hood was messed up, but when i called the shop to tell them to hold up on the order of the new hood, they said they already got it in, sorry dude, but hey, there is someone looking for a hood in another thread somewhere around here, might want to talk to him about it.

P.S. you comin to the SoCal meet?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fall Out Boy)</div><div class='quotemain'>didnt someone have a hood that they were having problems fitting over the front strut towers?</div>

Alot of people have that problem because the hoods are JDM. For some reason, not everybody has had that problem. You would think that if one person has the problem, that all Galants are the same and they would all have the problem, but they don't. I don't understand it. Anyway, I was one of the unlucky ones and had to notch out the frame of the hood so it wouldn't hit the strut towers.

Here is a quote from a post I made in another thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Alright here are my pics. I used a dremel with a router bit to cut it out, but first I started a hole with a drill bit so I could use the router bit. To find out exactly where to cut, I put chalk on the strut tower where the hood was hitting and then closed the hood. When the hood opened, there was chalk on the hood where I needed to cut. I kept doing the chalk thing until chalk didn't show up on the hood anymore.

In the pic below, you will see the clips that hold the washer hoses onto the hood. The hood doesn't come with holes for those, so you will have to make your own. If you look closely on your hood, you will see spots that look like they were once holes but were covered with pieces of fiberglass tape. Some of those spots are in almost the exact spot as the stock hood and were the spots I used to drill for the clips. Also, I couldn't get all the clips off of my stock hood, so instead of breaking them trying to get them off, I just went to the dealer and bought all new clips.

</div></div>yeah that looks like the underside of my hood. I think i might have had to take a little more of the pasenger side tho. thank gawd for a dremel! I'm not using pins myself.. I know I know

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    hmmm, this is a good thread...I think it should be moved to the Tutorial Section...
    -Pedro

Hey fellas,
    it been a while but I'm thinking of either getting the Seibon or VIS OEM CB hood which one is the best to choose from? Also are there holes for the winshield fluid nozzles in the CB hoods? Thanks
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

I haven't heard anything bad about either, and I'm personally planing on going with Deft Racing's CF hood. In silver. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by r-ezz.e
    Hey fellas,
    it been a while but I'm thinking of either getting the Seibon or VIS OEM CB hood which one is the best to choose from? Also are there holes for the winshield fluid nozzles in the CB hoods? Thanks
    By CB do you mean CF? Anyhow, the ViS OEM CF hood does have holes for the washer nozzle already, but I don't think the stock Galant nozzles will stay. When I switched out my hood I had to replace the washer nozzles because the stock ones are plastic and didn't fit in the holes flush, and wouldn't stay. I got some of the Autozone ones with the LED in them because they were cheap, and bolted on, so they would stay more securely. I didn't bother hooking up the LED tho.

My hood is a seibon...no problems regarding fitment. Washer nozzles fit perfectly. The only thing that i had to do was move the hood locking mechanism up a little. Other than that, direct bolt on.

i have a vis evo hood and i had to drill the holes for the clips and where the stick to hold the hood up goes...as for the washers, i had to make the hole a tad bit bigger and they fit perfect afterwards....2kgalant got any pics of the hood?? outside and in?? i havent seen a the seibon hood quality yet

Here is a pic of the seibon:

my .02 are dont get one if its your daily driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast