The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Constant Coolant leak....

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Constant Coolant leak....

My main coolant hose has leaked slightly since the day I got it. It's the hose right in the middle that goes from the radiator to the block. I've replaced this hose and the clamps to no avail. I ALWAYS smell coolant when I drive. Does anybody have this problem as well? Also, does anyone know of any stainless braided coolant lines for the 4g64?

b-boy_sky
    Mine would do that as well. I would recommend that you change the clamps with some better ones (unless you did that already). I think the stock clamps just plain suck. Mine doesnt leak anymore but then again I don't have a stock coolant hose either....

mine had some coolant "frozen" so it was stikced onto the hose... but the dealership just grabed a lil knife and took the coolant off... but its come back out... but no leaks, no smells, nor any kind of truoble... id take it the dealershi and let them check it out w/o cost.. like a rought estimate of what it can be and what you need to do/ge to fix it
    Diego

I've smelled coolant leaking from somewhere for the longest time. I saw a little crust on the upper hose and figured it was there, but everything was tight. I'm wondering if it's coming from the bottom hose. Anyway, I've had some Coolflex hoses for almost 2 years now that I never got around to installing. I plan on doing that as soon as the warm weather comes along. I think the Coolflex hoses are better than steel braided ones.

www.coolflex.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've smelled coolant leaking from somewhere for the longest time. I saw a little crust on the upper hose and figured it was there, but everything was tight. I'm wondering if it's coming from the bottom hose. Anyway, I've had some Coolflex hoses for almost 2 years now that I never got around to installing. I plan on doing that as soon as the warm weather comes along. I think the Coolflex hoses are better than steel braided ones.

www.coolflex.com</div>

That's the exact problem I'm having. Thanks for the site!

Just a word of caution with coolflex - I had constant problems with the coolflex pipes leaking and even coming off more than once - quite embarassing especially in the middle of traffic :evil:
    IMHO the connectors are way too short, and I went back to stock. I might try them again, but cut some longer hose pieces to make it fit better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just a word of caution with coolflex - I had constant problems with the coolflex pipes leaking and even coming off more than once - quite embarassing especially in the middle of traffic :evil: Â*
    IMHO the connectors are way too short, and I went back to stock. I might try them again, but cut some longer hose pieces to make it fit better.</div>

:shock: Wow. Good lookin' out. You hear that Dave?

clone2020
    Mine leaked until I replaced my timing belt, auto tensioner, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses with new c-clamps...

I'm guessing it was the hoses with poor pressure from the shitty OEM spring clamps.

-MIKE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zero_4073)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just a word of caution with coolflex - I had constant problems with the coolflex pipes leaking and even coming off more than once - quite embarassing especially in the middle of traffic :evil: Â*
    IMHO the connectors are way too short, and I went back to stock. I might try them again, but cut some longer hose pieces to make it fit better.</div>

:shock: Wow. Good lookin' out. You hear that Dave?</div>

I hear that loud and cear. Now I'm afraid to put them on. Time to do some research...

Edit: Ok, I found this thread - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread...ad.php?t=975507

Apparently you need to make sure there is no coolant whatsoever on the hoses and where you are connecting them to or that will make things slippery.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zero_4073)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just a word of caution with coolflex - I had constant problems with the coolflex pipes leaking and even coming off more than once - quite embarassing especially in the middle of traffic :evil: Â*

:shock: Wow. Good lookin' out. You hear that Dave?</div>

I hear that loud and cear. Now I'm afraid to put them on. Time to do some research...

Edit: Ok, I found this thread - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread...ad.php?t=975507

Apparently you need to make sure there is no coolant whatsoever on the hoses and where you are connecting them to or that will make things slippery.</div>

Cool - good find. I really liked the look of them and hated going back to stock, but I just got too frustrated with the dern thing. Maybe I'll try it again next time I do a coolant flush.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally Posted by Jim Dawes
    Kool Flex will not come off if installed properly. We installed the upper hose on our two C5's and found out the hard way, what we did wrong.
    DexCool is a great lubricant and if the smallest amount is on the inside of the rubber CoolFlex couplers you are going to eventually have either a leak or the entire hose will come off. Lightly sand (400 grit) the plastic radiator nozzle and do the same for the engine outlet nozzle. Clean the rubber couplers and nozzles with denatured alchohol making sure that no DexCool is present when installing the hose. This solved "OUR" problem. We have thousands of miles on the hoses including our heater hoses without a failure after we used this procedure. Hope this helps.</div>

I had mine come off after getting the car back from the body shop. The rubber that comes with coolflex has some type of coating on it that is like a jelly substance for ease of putting on. This needs to be cleaned off and make sure you dont have a small amount of dex-cool coming from the block or the rad when you put them on.
    I have not had a problem since.</div>

Wow. Thanks guys. I renew my interest. That'll look really good under there. Sounds like it'll solve the leaking as well