The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Taking Out The Air Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

Taking Out The Air Filter

Is it ok to do this for small amounts of time. When I go to a meet I take out the air filter and the car sounds a whole lot more ready for action, Its all stock under the hood right now though, but nobody believes me when they hear it. I don't keep it out all the time but is it very dangerous?
    Holla ATCHA BOI!!!!!

bad idea.

i don't even know why you'd even consider it. i mean you can get an aftermarket cone filter an adaptor on ebay for under 10 bucks. it might not be the greatest thing in the world but its far better than running no filter at all..

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you like sucking foreign objects into your engine, then sure, run without a filter. If you want your engine to last longer then the warranty, then run a filter
    7g for life!

Yeah, like pinoy said, just go grab a cone filter and you'll get what you want

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    i got a cone filter and adapter, sounds nice. I heard the K&N works best so look for that

I see K&N, I'll check on it. Thankx you guys and I really should start thinking before doing this stupid stuff all the time.

Is this what you guys are talkin about?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33659
    Holla ATCHA BOI!!!!!

GalantGuy96
    no, not like that.
    just go to pep boys and get a cone filter.
    dotn get the k&n stock airbox filter for 2 reasons.
    its expensive as fuck, and you will see no increase in sound....and hp wont be very noticable.
    those are for people that dotn want to buy a new air filter every 10000 miles, so they do that to save money i think.
    a cone filter with an adapter is definitly what u want.

GalantGuy96
    here:

5" is pretty big, but it comes with the adapter, so it doesnt matter.
    i's buy this^

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantGuy96)</div><div class='quotemain'>here:

5" is pretty big, but it comes with the adapter, so it doesnt matter.
    i's buy this^</div>

Hey thanks I'll go to a local store to see if they have one in stock if not I'll just order that one. That'll improve sound as well right? Are the cone filters with adapters universal?
    Holla ATCHA BOI!!!!!

the cone filters are universal. you just have to get the one that fits the adaptor.

the adaptors are not universal. differnt makes like toyota, mazda, nissan have different adaptors, they look the same but the bolt parttern is different.

within the mitsu product line, any of the adaptors that look similar to the one pictured in the auction would work. that means you can use adaptors from the eclipse, motero, montero sport, lancer, evo and etc. just make sure that the adaptor looks similar to the one picured.

I just came back from Advance Auto Parts and the guy was really helpful. I picked up a universal AR cone air filter but I forgot to ask about the mitsu adapter. I didn't buy it though. He told me that he recommends getting the whold intake system and a performance muffler. I'll call and ask if they have an eclipse or mits adapter. Would the dealership have an adapter?
    Holla ATCHA BOI!!!!!

why dont you just buy a short ram or cold air intake?

I guess its because I just don't know anything about performance upgrades . Fine, Give me a brand name or whatever is best recommended and I'll go with that.
    Holla ATCHA BOI!!!!!

If you like sound, Weapon R is beautiful. At the top of the rpms it makes a wwhhhssss sound. But fitment can e an issue, but my fits nicely now with a smaller coupler. Though, alot of people here will disagree wih going with Weapon R.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drastic)</div><div class='quotemain'>I guess its because I just don't know anything about performance upgrades . Â*Fine, Give me a brand name or whatever is best recommended and I'll go with that.</div>

either Injen or AEM...there have been some Injen intakes going lately at a really great price. i asked the guy on ebay that i bought mine from if he has any left...he had the best price i have seen anywhere. ill let you know once he gets back to me. Look to spend around 100-200 for an intake...but i guaranty you will get the sound your looking for. it will also add some more hp to your ride.

check out club3g and the eclipseforums. they have people selling intakes all the time. if u can't find one used, you can probably join in one of their group buys or something.

club3g does have alot of group buys and I'm waiting on some reply's. It might be better to just go with ebay in the end because I don't know who I can trust on these boards.
    Holla ATCHA BOI!!!!!

hey, i know installing an intake seems like it would be a hard thing to do becuause its phisicly replaceing a part of your engine. but its not as hard as you think. i was so scared the first time that i did this, that i would screw something up. it seriously is as easy as undoing all the old bolts from the old stock-box. and takeing it out. and bolting in the new one and its done. i can tell you one thing though. dont ever run your car(again) without a filter of some kind. all sorts of random shit will go flying into your engine. and you'll be looking at a mighty enxpensive problem to fix. when it comes to intakes you have 2 choices (cold air intake) or (short ram intake) the cold air intake has a pipe that goes way down to the bumper to get a little colder air. and the short ram is only about 2 ft long and stays in the engine bay. if you live in a place where it rains alot. or have ever ran your car through a puddle that hit the bottom of it. then dont get the full cold air intake. or it could suck up water and your engine will get vapor-lock. go for a good brand too so you dont have to worry about small problems. i'm running an Injen short ram. and i love it. also AEM, and K&N. probly heard all this before. and if you want to save money just get a cheep-o ebay one. its not gonna be too much of a difference. you just get what you payed for though. so..i say get yourself a short ram intake (your probly gonna have to get it online. it really isn't easy to get aftermarket parts for a galant localy) if you go good brand it will cost you a little less then $200. but its worth it. and install it yourself, hope this helps.

Hey! Thats like one of the most helpful post I've ever recieved... (it even seemed a little inspirating) But thankx for that info. You answered another question I had before I even asked it. (The difference between CAI and Short Ram) I'll be getting one soon now that all thats cleared up.

Injen, Weapon R, or AEM though? I've heard some good and some bad about Weapon R (actually the only good is what lootrock posted early on this topic) but what's the most popular?

Do after market intakes use the black box that near the end of the factory intake. The little computer thing that reads your air flow. Is that just pushed aside or takin out or something? Or does the aftermarket intake run through it as well?

I'm leaning torward the Weapon R.
    Holla ATCHA BOI!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast