The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Getting molded (Updated Pics!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

Getting molded (Updated Pics!)

I started molding the rear bumper on today. Some fiberglass, bondo, primer and a lot of time. Also, removed the side moldings and filled those in. I've got to do a lot of sanding and probably a few more coats of primer to get everything nice and smooth.

Next will be the sideskirts, but I am probably going to have to remove the doors. Not looking forward to that, so I'm doing that last! Have to do some work on the front bumper, but I'm going to wait until I get the driving lights and intercooler installed. The front won't be molded on, but it should look pretty good when I'm done.

This is my first time doing body work so any suggestions, advice, or opinions are welcomed.

I'll take some more pics after I get everything sanded down and I start on the side skirts.

i hope you didnt just bondo it....how did you adhere it?
    TEAM GENESIS

I sanded down to metal on the car, and sanded down to the poly-fiber on the bumper. Then I put two layers of fiber glass. I grinded and sanded down the high spots in the fiberglass and then applied the bondo.

The sideskirts are adhered with 5200 marine adhesive and screws. They are pretty solid so I probably don't need to fiberglass them but I am going to anyway.

Grenbogys
    i'm seeing red Xs

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grenbogys)</div><div class='quotemain'>i'm seeing red Xs</div>

me, too

Any suggestions on another place to host my pics. I've had several people respond to prior posts that they can't see my pics neither. I use Sony Imagestation.

Grenbogys
    i've always used photobucket.com and i've never had any problems

Here's some updated pics.

The door handles and side moldings have been removed.
    The sideskirts and rear bumper have been molded on.
    The rear emblems have been removed.
    The lip around the rear wheel wells have been smoothed out. (They used to have a 1 1/2" indented lip around them; I plan on doing the front fenders the same way.)

The paint shop will be doing the rest of the prep work. I don't have the desire or time to prime the whole car and wet sand it. I'll leave that to the professionals.

eh, i gotta see the finished product, plus u gotta drop it. but good progress so far, keep it up.

Yeah, I'm excited to see it all painted, it's kind of hard to picture what it will look like with it being in the condition it's in. I have the springs and struts ready to go, I have to wait until my brother has a day off to put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetDreams
    I have the springs and struts ready to go, I have to wait until my brother has a day off to put them in.
    dude, do it urself...its easy. (if u dont have an end-link problem)

btw. what color r u gonna paint it?

Quote Originally Posted by josh_877
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetDreams
    I have the springs and struts ready to go, I have to wait until my brother has a day off to put them in.
    dude, do it urself...its easy. (if u dont have an end-link problem)

btw. what color r u gonna paint it?
    I would do it myself but the Energy Suspension bushing kit is getting done at the same time. Along with the front and rear upper strut bars and lower rear tie bar. Also, have to have the front and rear camber kit installed and it will need to be aligned after that.

My brother is going to do all the work at his shop on his day off. He has the lift and the hydraulic press and the alignment machine there. Plus, he can do it ten times faster than I can.

Oh, I am planning on going with the same color. Charcoal grey. I like that color. That's one of the main things that attracted me to the car when I bought it.

It's going to look nice. Since you are going all crazy shaving the door handles and such, how about putting in a fuel door like one of the ones below?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ
    It's going to look nice. Since you are going all crazy shaving the door handles and such, how about putting in a fuel door like one of the ones below?

I've been trying to decide what to do with the gas door. If anything I would shave that too, and put the filler some where else. But, I haven't figured out an easy way to do it. I think that with everything being smooth with no body lines or moldings, the billet fuel door would look out of place.

I saw a picture on here a while ago where the rear tailight slid out and the filler was behind the light. If anyone has more info on how to do that, I might try it.

ur car is gonna look pretty hot...personally i dont know if i would blend in the kit with the body... one mistake and there might be a small crack that will TRAVEL...seems more of an inconvience... looks good though keep it up...but ur right, i think the fuel doors might look out of place if installed...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

xSILENTx
    Yea any little bump on that bumper and it'll crack. Even i pothole could crack it. It'll look real nice but you just gota be careful.

yah molding sucks when you break the bumper like me. have to repaint more than i want. :cry:

due , if you did it right, you wont have any problems.......my entire kit is molded(front, sides, and rear) and i think that it makes more sense to mold your kit as long as your not one to take your kit off all the time......., i have kit sick ass potholes......and only one time i had a problem.......this is how i look at it

it the sideskirt is going to come off, would you rather have the screws holding it up to rip the fiberglass and possobally ruin your kit of would you rather mold it.........no screws......and it it breaks off........you just mold it back on in 2 days.....and not have to repair anything........i dont know what all this hype about how molding sucks.......i think its just word of mouth from people that didnt get it done right.......ask censee....miami is pothole central and i drive through all of it like nothing.......just make sure you use quality epoxy and dura/bondoglass and prep your stuff right..

just my opinion......id mold just about anything and feel more comfortable because buying a new kit is expensive
    TEAM GENESIS

Dark Anghell
    this brings back memories. A buggy of mine got hit from the back at 5-7mph. He had a wide-body civic with everything molded together. Well...the wide body was ruined, there were two huge cracks along the side. had to repaint the car because he had a custom color. The molding was done by a professional bodyshop.

But like other people have said, looks good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast