The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clear tails for a 7g

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 60

Clear tails for a 7g

A guy at the custom shop gave me a suggestion for clear tails. I had a spare center tail light laying around so I decided to experiment.

I cracked the red lens with a screwdriver and pulled out all the pieces around the edge with pliers while heating up the silicone. The clear lens needs to be heavily siliconed to prevent water from getting in and I don't know how possible it is to keep the bead of silicone off the lens and neat looking. Also, the groove, where the red lens sat into, needs to be filled in and painted. I imagine the corner tails are the same way, but I didn't have any spare ones laying around so I didn't try.

The red lens is what gave the entire housing structural integrity. Now, with the red lens removed, the light is kind of flimsy.

Also, the clear lens and the plastic housing are not as thick and sturdy as the headlights are, so you need to use caution when heating them up or they will melt.

I think they look pretty cool, but haven't yet decided if I'm going to attempt this on my good lights. I'm going to fill in the groove, and paint the housing to see how good I can make them look; I'll post pics when I finish.

Tell me what you think:

eh, their not as bad as i thought they would be. But i wonder how they'll look with light bulbs actually working. And i think it would only look good on a silver 7g.

I guess I could put some bulbs in them to see what they would look like. What do you think, clear or red???

Very intresting............Your going to try it on the corner ones also?
    If you want an extra set to try em on i got both right n left. P.m me if your intrested.
    oh and lets see what they look like working.....use red bulbs!
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'>Very intresting............Your going to try it on the corner ones also?
    If you want an extra set to try em on i got both right n left. P.m me if your intrested.
    oh and lets see what they look like working.....use red bulbs!</div>

I'm going to do some more work on the center light before I do the corners. I've got to fill in the grooves and silicone the lens. If that looks decent I'll probably try it on the corners. I'll get some pics with bulbs in them when I get it done.

hey. that looks pretty good. what kinda material did you use to make the tails??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey. that looks pretty good. what kinda material did you use to make the tails??</div>

I didn't make the tails, I removed the red lens. The clear lens is a second layer under the red lens.

All i see is RED X's. Can u send to [email protected] thanx

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Upload them to a different pic host like www.imageshack.us

Dont look too bad for clear tails I suppose
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(REDLANT97)</div><div class='quotemain'>All i see is RED X's. Can u send to [email protected] thanx</div>

right click each red X, click properties at the bottom, and copy and paste the address into a new browser window

but damn dude, they look really good. you'll need red bulbs or else you'll get pulled over in a heartbeat. i think you've discovered something pretty big and new in the 7G world here, it looks really really good. i might give it a shot on my cracked jdm tails i got with my jdm trunk
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

They Look pretty good. I hope that you update soon with the bulbs in. Here are the pictures for those that cannot see them. Or whose lazy like me.

Well i cracked open the corner ones and found a little problem. The red cover is attatched to the inner corner reflector. you can seperate them but you wont be able to have the lil reflector unless you glue it down or sumthing.
    **EDIT** oh yeah they look better in person instead of pics

Whats this reflector thing you are talking about? How about Siliconing it into place it sounded as if that what streetdreams did.

ay street, where'd u get that m3 style spoiler lip? how much? and for what car is it exactly?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josh_877)</div><div class='quotemain'>ay street, where'd u get that m3 style spoiler lip? how much? and for what car is it exactly?</div>

Haha...it kind of looks like that. That's actually chrome colored pin stripping across the front of the trunk lid. It was dark out when I took the pics so I set up some halogen bulbs to light up the car. That m3 style spoiler lip you're looking at is just the reflection of the pin stripping.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StreetDreams)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josh_877)</div><div class='quotemain'>ay street, where'd u get that m3 style spoiler lip? how much? and for what car is it exactly?</div>

Haha...it kind of looks like that. That's actually chrome colored pin stripping across the front of the trunk lid. It was dark out when I took the pics so I set up some halogen bulbs to light up the car. That m3 style spoiler lip you're looking at is just the reflection of the pin stripping.</div>

oh haha, cause it looks phat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LJM9000)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whats this reflector thing you are talking about? How about Siliconing it into place it sounded as if that what streetdreams did.</div>
    wherethis continuse

on the corner light (well the light that is framed by that gray piece i.e reverse lights)well the inner corner umder it is attached to the red cover so you have to brake it off then its its own piece by itself. If streetdreams whats them to contine and see how the whole tail lights look id seel em cheap

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LJM9000)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whats this reflector thing you are talking about? How about Siliconing it into place it sounded as if that what streetdreams did.</div>
    wherethis continuse

on the corner light (well the light that is framed by that gray piece i.e reverse lights)well the inner corner umder it is attached to the red cover so you have to brake it off then its its own piece by itself. If streetdreams whats them to contine and see how the whole tail lights look id seel em cheap </div>

That entire clear lens just pops right out. The reverse light lens is held in with a few screws (on the center light). Theres no screws holding the turn signal lens on the corner lights? The clear lens should pop right out, and there should be a screw in there so the turn signal lens can be removed.

This is what i mean

the little reflector pice is on the left. with some red residue on it

can someone post a pic of all three pieces installed and working? i wanna know if its worth it, cause i have an extra set of taillights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast