The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: swaps

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    luisgalantES

swaps

im in the market for a 6g and i was wondering if its hard to swap a vr4 engine and tranny into a 91-92 gs. is there any customizing needed or doues everything bolt right up.

ken inn
    ahahaha. first off, you will have to beat the crap out of the unibody, you need a tunnel for the driveshaft. there aint one on a gs. then there is the wiring harness, and all the sensors. the gas tank is way different. oh, you are just going to make it fwd? ever talk to any vr4 owners who have the switchable 2wd/4wd transmission? in 2wd mode, the car is undriveable. all you get is serious wheelspin. why not just get a vr4?

luisgalantES
    i cant seem to find one

3diamonds

Yeah!

I dont seem to recall mitsu importing any VR4s or Galant GSX (SAME as vr4, 4wd, 4ws but NO turbo) INTO EUROPE?

aNYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET THEM?

ken inn
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luisgalantES)</div><div class='quotemain'>i cant seem to find one</div>

how hard did you look? galantvr4.org(you gotta register) has probably 6 for sale, and if you post that you are looking, you will probably get at least 6 more. new dsm trader has one. there are always a couple on ebay. now, if you are looking to get one for cheap, i can see why you cant find one.

luisgalantES
    what would be the price range for gvr4

3diamonds

Actually

I was looking for one in europe... as far as i know there were no imports of EVO 0, VR4, or GSX's (the ones w/ 4wd/4ws) US seems to have a ton of them though, they were made under DSM(diamond-star motors) brand

ken inn

Re: Actually

Quote Originally Posted by 3diamonds
    I was looking for one in europe... as far as i know there were no imports of EVO 0, VR4, or GSX's (the ones w/ 4wd/4ws) US seems to have a ton of them though, they were made under DSM(diamond-star motors) brand
    NO galants were made under the dsm brand. eclipse, laser, talon were the dsm cars. they were all made here in the us, in normal, ill. galant vr4 was made in japan, and imported. and, it shows. the t/e/l's are crap. very poor build quality. i had a 93 gsx. what a pile. sucker leaked like a sieve. close the door, and the aerodynamics fall off. open the door, the inner panels fall off. rear hatch dont stay up. rattles, squeaks, stuff just not installed properly. now, the galant, that sucker is TIGHT. it's a good thing they didnt allow the us workers to build the engines or transmissions.

3diamonds

LOL oops!

You are right... for some reason i was stuck on DSM... they imported only 3000? of them into US right?

Are there any in canada and how would they be called there, or even a GSX would be ok, if i remember mitsu didnt have a name in there untill 2001.

PS I thought VR4 trannies are a serviceable item 2nd gear grind? Nice reverse? Blown synchros or my favorite: the exploding gear But yes other than trannies VR4s were PERFECT!

ken inn

Re: LOL oops!

Quote Originally Posted by 3diamonds
    You are right... for some reason i was stuck on DSM... they imported only 3000? of them into US right?

Are there any in canada and how would they be called there, or even a GSX would be ok, if i remember mitsu didnt have a name in there untill 2001.

PS I thought VR4 trannies are a serviceable item 2nd gear grind? Nice reverse? Blown synchros or my favorite: the exploding gear But yes other than trannies VR4s were PERFECT!
    well, lesse now. my vr4 is going on 185k. trans was rebuilt about 10k ago, one bearing was making noise, otherwise, it was like the transmissons in the bmw's i used to have. synchros were still very good, but were changed. shift forks were still excellent, and it took a new first gear set. lots of shims, pins, and misc stuff was changed out. the trans shifted so well, i had to remove the symborski shift bushings, and reinstall the factory rubber ones. there are vr4's putting out over 450 hp at the wheels still running the factory trans. fluids like bg synchroshift, gm(pennzoil) synchromesh, neo, redline, royal purple, have all but eliminated second gear grind, a dual synchro will totally eliminate it. transmissions break because people abuse them. just like bmw transmissions, or porsche, or whatever. cars came out with 195hp/205tq stock, but very few are stock anymore. but they still have stock transmissions. a few internal improvements, and they can easily handle the extra power, because it is so easy to add extra power to the motor, way beyond what the rest of the drivetrain was DESIGNED to take.