The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clunking Metal on Metal/Plastic Noise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30
    SamirDarji

Clunking Metal on Metal/Plastic Noise

I heard this earlier this evening. And I heard it when going for a drive again just a few minutes ago.

It's definitely coming from the engine bay, on the side of the belts, towards the bottom. The sound is like a piece of metal inside a metal container that once in a while hits the sides. It sounds like an impeller blade off the water pump broke off and is floating around in the water and hitting the sides once in a while, but that doesn't make sense since the car runs fine.

The other suspect is the AC Compressor which is in the same lower area of the engine bay.

One other suspect is that the timing belt has become a bit shreaded and is hitting the casing somewhere. I'm going to take the cover off and look at this one first thing tomorrow.

This problem hasn't affected the car yet, but this is something definitely major and just hasn't gotten that bad yet. Any assistance appreciated.

SamirDarji
    Found it this morning when I started the car and looked underneath. The crank pulley is wobbling back and forth and contacting with something metal once in a while. Great, more work, even less time. :cry:

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Welcome to the club, I just changed mine. Called the dealer for a price they told me 165 but lucky i work p/t at an auto parts store and i got it for 75bux. Be careful you dont want it to totally snap on you in the wrong place at the wrong time. I saw on ebay somewhere they had the underdrive crank pulleys for like forty or so i think, if you can wait on shipping then i guess you could try that.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Proto
    Mine is maybe a month old, went to do the dealer and got it for $147. If you're willing to pay shipping PM me with an offer.

SamirDarji
    Alright, just got done taking it off. I didn't remove it completely because I didn't lower the engine yet from the mount, but it looks fine. Before I removed it and after I removed the belts going to it, I tried to wobble it and it wouldn't. I continued to remove it and took for the 4 bolts to it, allowing it to be free and then expected something behind the pulley to be wrong, but nothing. :?:

I looked at the lower timing belt to see if there was any sign of anything, but again everything looks like it is normal (never seen any of that area before so I could be wrong).

I'm not sure if I really have a problem or not. What actually breaks in the pully to cause this problem? I want to verify I've got the real source of the problem.

SamirDarji
    I shot some video of the problem and the sound before I started taking things apart. It's kinda dark and is around 7.5mb, but it may help.

http://vids.huntsvillecarscene.com/events/...ey/MOV00127.MPG

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    Mine is maybe a month old, went to do the dealer and got it for $147. If you're willing to pay shipping PM me with an offer.
    What's the Mitsu part# on it? There are different ones for different years and VINs.

Proto
    Not sure, mine is a 96

SamirDarji
    It should be there on the bag or invoice. It starts with an "MD" and has 6 digits after it. If I need one and if the part matches, I may just get yours.

Proto
    i couldnt find my invoice and i usually have them all

SamirDarji
    I'm still trying to figure out if there is anything actually wrong with the pulley. :?

Proto
    the harmonic balancers go bad

TGC Regular
    my uncle also had a clunking noise coming from the engine bay of his BMW 745. he fixed it by getting a mercedes E500

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    the harmonic balancers go bad
    Are those a part of the pulley or are the a piece behind the pulley?

Proto
    a part of the pulley. its sits in the middle under where the belts ride and above the part that bolts to the crankshaft. I just listened to the video.. yours is bad. Mine did the same thing and ate up 2 AC belts and left me stuck 2 hrs from my house.

SamirDarji
    Thank you for the information and thank you for taking the time to look at the video. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new pulley. I'm hoping the dealer has one in stock. Anyone know if they were redesigned to not break?

Proto
    I paid $140 for a new one, shipping shouldnt be a lot.. I would let it go for $90

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I had the SAME problem several months ago. Its sorta common on Mitsus...but fortunately cheap to replace.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...highlight=crank

You may have a oil leak at one time or even at the moment. The oil will slowly degrate the rubber insulator in the pulley and well...it seperates and well...you got the idea.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

SamirDarji
    Thank you for the reply. I did some searches but never came across your thread.

I'm going to remove my pulley in the next few hours and hopefully get down to the Mitsu dealer and get a replacement.

Did yours completely separate like that or did you have to force it apart?

Proto
    Mine totally seperated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast