The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G Powerslot Big Brake Kit (Update - Pic Heavy 56K Warning)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42

8G Powerslot Big Brake Kit (Update - Pic Heavy 56K Warning)

Found this deal on the Club3G Forums:
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26674

Many of you might not know that AEM sold their brake division to Powerslot. Powerslot now makes the big brake kits that were so popular from AEM. These are an affordable big brake solution that utilizes the stock calipers with a larger rotor. Powerslot only makes them in carbon black, there are no color options available.

What's on Sale:

Front
    Power Slot Plus Big Brake Kit for Eclipse GT (Front) - $399.98 plus shipping
    Power Slot Plus Big Brake Kit for Eclipse RS/GS (Front) - $419.98 plus shipping - Available early next week

Rear
    Power Slot Plus Big Brake Kit for Eclipse GT (Rear) - $179.98 plus shipping

Please call for pricing on Hawk brake pads

Shipping:

Shipping will be via UPS Ground. Please call if you want faster shipping.

Ordering:

All orders can be easiliy placed at www.namotorsports.net using any major credit card or Paypal. You can also call us at 1-877-NAMOTORS and place your order over the phone.

Contact Info:

PM: NAMotorsports
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 1-877-NAMOTORS
    More info:
    17" wheels are the minimum you need. You'll have no problem with 17" and up.

This will be running until at least the end of February, longer if it goes well and there is a demand for the product.

Powerslot decided to only make them in the carbon black, no color options like AEM. Remember, the Baer brakes utilize new calipers, these utilize your stock calipers. So to answer your question, the calipers will look pretty different.
    I'm ordering mine and will let you know how it goes.

Got the kit today, and will hopefully get some time to install them, and I also hope that it stops raining (I need to clear out my garage - got just enough room to park the Galant :oops: )

Here are some quick pics:

One Front Rotor, Caliper Brackets, Various Bolts, Zip Ties to hold up the calipers during install:

Interesting:

Grenbogys
    Definately post some pics once installed

For the 8G V6 you would need the RT? Kind of forgot what was what on an Eclipse.
    Love,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingpinoy
    Interesting:
    powerslot but the brakes division at AEM so im guessing they are just finishing what they had left of the AEM stuff. the braking surface of the rotor though, are powerslot.

Matt, you'd need the one for the Eclipse GT

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Censee
    wow those would look so much sweeter in silver,,,,nice rotors tho....thos just rotors or they come with the calipers?

that kit is just the rotors and the caliper relocation kit. no calipers

Well, got the rotors on, but ran into a couple of problems.

First, just a few comparisons:

Weight of OEM ~10-12lbs

Weight of Powerslot ~13.5-15.5lbs

Now for the moneyshots
    Before:

After (note, I took the opportunity to paint the calipers black):

Here's a pic of the Caliper Relocation Bracket installed:

Pic of the Brake Line Clip Extension:

Now for the problems:

When test fitting the calipers to the extension bracket (after painting them :oops: ) I found that I had to grind down some of the caliper support assembly to get it to fit correctly. The included manual did mention that grinding might be necessary.

Pic of the bracket on the caliper support assembly before grinding:

Black line denotes amount needed to be removed:

Like a glove!:

Now my biggest problem :evil:

Mind you, these will still probably fit on some 17" rims, but just my luck they didn't fit on mine :?

Now I'm off to find me some 18s...

Yikes! :shock: I wonder if the Eclipse guys have that problem with the calipers too? I can't quite tell from the pics what you had to grind down though.

hmm. it looks like you had to grind alot of the caliper away. wOw. i wonder if this is only a problem with the single piston caliper. i wonder how much if any the people with the dual piston calipers owuld have to grind off

Actually it doesn't look like to much grinding. Just a little to get it to fit good....

Before

After

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Leonard you don't think you could get away without grinding it?

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

I re-edited the post above to clear up some things - I didn't grind the caliper itself, but the caliper support assembly, as show below, part #4:

Here's a better pic of what I had to grind away, highlighted in red:

I couldn't possibly have mounted the calipers on there without the bracket sitting flush onto the surface of the caliper support assembly. It really wasn't hard to do - just needed some time and an angle grinder (as seen in the background). I have to repeat that it did mention in the instructions that grinding might be necessary due to Mitsubishi's casting irregularities. The funny thing is that it said you can use power tools or do it by hand with a file (yeah, right ).

Anyone need to buy some 17" rims with tires

Looks nice.

OK, I see now what you had to grind down. I think I would have notched out the black relocation bracket instead though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK, I see now what you had to grind down. I think I would have notched out the black relocation bracket instead though.</div>

The relocation brackets were pretty thin already - any cutting on those brackets might have made them weaker - heres a closeup of the brackets from the first pic:

If you look edgewise at the brackets, they look like this:

Code:
     Â* *****

Besides, it wasn't very hard at all to modify the caliper support. I would estimate it took me about 2-3 hours, minus time for painting.

I got my new 18s on and was able to test them out, and I must say they are pretty damn good - I have to be careful not to hit the brakes too hard, especially since I don't have ABS. Will post pics later tonight.

so they would not fit on 17inch rims..??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>so they would not fit on 17inch rims..??</div>

Theres a very good chance that they wont fit on 17s - my 17s had a big lip on them, so that most likely contributed to the lack of space, but if you have a rim with the spokes on the outside, there may be a chance that they would fit.

However, to be safe I'd get 18s for a big brake kit.

did the brakes come with a diagram that you can cut out and test on your wheels for fitment?? i know other bigger brake kits come with it, maybe these came with some also??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast