The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which Underdrive Pulley Belts Did You Use?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    SamirDarji

Which Underdrive Pulley Belts Did You Use?

I have the UR crank pulley on order and have seen in the instructions the different belts they recommend. But for those that have installed the crank pulley with stock accessory pulleys, what belt size did you get? I want to have the belts before the pulley gets here so I can just bolt everything up.

Having no transportation doesn't work in the US.

Mindless

Re: Which Underdrive Pulley Belts Did You Use?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SamirDarji)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the UR crank pulley on order and have seen in the instructions the different belts they recommend. Â*But for those that have installed the crank pulley with stock accessory pulleys, what belt size did you get? Â*I want to have the belts before the pulley gets here so I can just bolt everything up.

Having no transportation doesn't work in the US. </div>

Just plan on making a trip to Auto Zone.

NAPA carries the gates belts. I tried pep boys, and Autozone to no avail. I only needed the alt. belt because i pulled my a/c when i dropped a 4g63t in my 1994 GS but the belt sizes are as follows
    alternator belt K040365 $12

POWERSTEERING retains the stock belt.
    you misht as well throw a new one on

A/C K040365.

You WILL see a significant performance gain across the powerband. You will also rev faster, and the downshifts will be more agressive. ANY time you take wieght off the crank you free up horsepower. The best gains will be realized on a five speed.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    NAPA carries the gates belts. I tried pep boys, and Autozone to no avail. I only needed the alt. belt because i pulled my a/c when i dropped a 4g63t in my 1994 GS but the belt sizes are as follows
    alternator belt K040365 $12

POWERSTEERING retains the stock belt.
    you misht as well throw a new one on

A/C K040365.

You WILL see a significant performance gain across the powerband. You will also rev faster, and the downshifts will be more agressive. ANY time you take wieght off the crank you free up horsepower. The best gains will be realized on a five speed.
    Thank you for your response. Were these belts on the 4g63 or the 64? The part# you recommended matches what UR recommends in their instructions (which is for a 4g63).

sohc/ dohc it doesn't matter, the crank pulley and accessories are the same. only difference beltwise is inside the timing cover, which you won't have to deal with.
    so to answer your question.
    the belts for the 4g63 are the same as the 4g64 sohc. Except the timing belt of course.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

SamirDarji
    The belts for the 4g63 and 4g64 are different, but for the purposes of the underdrive pulley, yeah they used the same ones.

I got the belts from NAPA and while NAPA branded, they are made by Gates. Just for reference and to save someone else the pain I went through, here's the part numbers that worked for me:
    Alternator and Water Pump: Gates K040384 - 38 7/8" (985mm)
    AC: Gates K040365 - 37 1/8" (945mm)

These were the only 2 recommended belts for the 95-99 Turbo Eclipse on UR's documentation.

i don't know why they would be different, the crank pulley is the same size between the '64 and the '63. The alternator, water pump, and p.s pulleys are the same between the 64' and the '63. And, the spacing is the same. so why would the belts be different. I used my old belts when i swapped from my dohc 4g64 to my 4g63 on my GS. I used to have a 94 es too, and the belts were the same. It really doesn't matter though, did you get your pulley on yet?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

SamirDarji
    I think the difference is only small. Even the later 7th gens have a different belt. I believe the difference is only 5mm, but it could be more since I couldn't figure out if the additional number in the description was the size of the belt or not.

I finally got the pulley on and am really enjoying the performance, but after reading all the information on the necessity of the harmonic damper in the pulley and the damage that can be caused without it, I plan to remove the pulley and go with one with a damper such as the one from www.buschurracing.com.