The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bad car day again VENT UPDATE: Need info on 1 fuse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 47
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar

Bad car day again VENT UPDATE: Need info on 1 fuse

Well I recently have been postin about my car dying all the time, so I figured it was because my ground was causing it since i recently changed its location. So i went to change it back to where it originally was grounded, and noticed that first my head unit wasnt even powering off when my car was turned off. It just started doing this, so I jus moved the ground back to its original spot and said I'll pull the plug on the wiring harness to he H/U and figure it out later. So i get my music back finally after some wire work, and im drivin and my headunit isnt sitting in the slot correctly so i start kinda movin/adjustin it and the music stops playing, then the unit powers off. So i park and go to the fuses and the radio one is blown. So I pull the wiring harness out and say i'll get a fuse for it tomorrow and i go to my trunk to make sure my amp wasnt powered up and it WAS. So I pulled the power wire from that, now my dome lights, radio and im sure other things are out...im gettin sick of this :x WHERE DID EVERYONE ELSE GROUND THEIR AMP FOR THE THIRD TIME BY THE WAY?

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    mine is grounded to the bottom of the brakelight by the back window....used the bolt that holds that brakelight down....and i ran it through the holes in the trunk on the other side of the backseat...hooked up to the distributer block that is connected to the amps...i don't like where it is at...i am still looking for another place to ground it...but for now...it is doing perfectly besides looks

either way...hope your day gets better.... :thumbsup:

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    this is exactly why i dont have a system.. to much bs to mess with...
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

TGC Regular
    so did u get a new fuse yet?? cuz the HU fuse is the same for dome lights and all that stuff.

na im gettin the fuse tomorrow, ive experienced a prob w. this fuse before so I kno how many things it shuts off when it goes.. anyone know why i keep gettin power to my amp 24/7?

TGC Regular
    well i dont know if this helps, but here is a lil example:

i have some lights in my car, under-dash and such. i have it wired DIRECTLY to the battery. even when the car is off, i can still turn on these lights. there have even been times where i forgot to switch them off and they stayed on all night. so maybe your amp and HU is wired directly to battery instead of tapping into ignition or something like that.

I grounded my on one of the bolts that hold up my tail lights, however at first I did have a grounding problem bacause there seem to be a thim layer of paint in the trunk. I suggest you use some sand paper to make the steel show.

i just drilled it into the trunk, first scrape the paint off than just drill it in. done.

btw, dont ever try and make a ground connection through carpet. its gotta be metal on metal.

Quote Originally Posted by cardude03
    well i dont know if this helps, but here is a lil example:

i have some lights in my car, under-dash and such. i have it wired DIRECTLY to the battery. even when the car is off, i can still turn on these lights. there have even been times where i forgot to switch them off and they stayed on all night. so maybe your amp and HU is wired directly to battery instead of tapping into ignition or something like that.
    yeah...i think this is right...

hook up the HU to the ignition...i'm sorry...i took my shit in and out too many times to go look again...but if you need help...ask again and i will look and see which wires are hooked up to which in mine. but yeah...is your HU installed to be on without the key turned on? and the remote wire for the amp is also on constant...so...same thing as the HU

or maybe u can post which wires u have hooked up to which...and i can compare...with mine...but the thing is...mine works fine...

first thing im noticing is not the ground but the wiring. if you giggle the head unit and you aren't supposed to blow a fuse. first thing i'd do is redo your wiring. most of the wiring in my car is soldered together and then covered up with some heat shrink tubing. if not heat shrink some electrical tape. that way you don't have to worry much about shorts. after that, my wiring is bundled together no real loose wires. i use zip ties to make sure everything is neat.

good wiring and neat wiring will solve half of your wiring problems.

there are a bunch of places to ground not only your amp but also your head unit. behind the dash are a buncha bolts that are bolted to some metal that is connected to the grounded chassis. get a ring terminal, crimp that onto the ground wire. remove one of them bolts, put in the ring and put the bolt back in. not only do you get a good ground but it is also secure. you got to remember your car is contantly moving. you have to make sure everything is secure or it is gonna come loose. i've grounded my amp in several places in my trunk. first time i had it, i drilled a hole into the holder for the tire jack and bolted the ground there. drill, sand and then bolt. thats the key. make sure you have good metal to metal contact. second time i drilled another hole near the back seat. there's a trim panel for the seatback deep inside of the trunk. my amp is mounted there. and there is a big piece of metal to which the trim piece is connected to. i just drilled, sanded and then used a machine screw to secure the ground.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    first thing im noticing is not the ground but the wiring. if you giggle the head unit and you aren't supposed to blow a fuse. first thing i'd do is redo your wiring. most of the wiring in my car is soldered together and then covered up with some heat shrink tubing. if not heat shrink some electrical tape. that way you don't have to worry much about shorts. after that, my wiring is bundled together no real loose wires. i use zip ties to make sure everything is neat.

good wiring and neat wiring will solve half of your wiring problems.

there are a bunch of places to ground not only your amp but also your head unit. behind the dash are a buncha bolts that are bolted to some metal that is connected to the grounded chassis. get a ring terminal, crimp that onto the ground wire. remove one of them bolts, put in the ring and put the bolt back in. not only do you get a good ground but it is also secure. you got to remember your car is contantly moving. you have to make sure everything is secure or it is gonna come loose. i've grounded my amp in several places in my trunk. first time i had it, i drilled a hole into the holder for the tire jack and bolted the ground there. drill, sand and then bolt. thats the key. make sure you have good metal to metal contact. second time i drilled another hole near the back seat. there's a trim panel for the seatback deep inside of the trunk. my amp is mounted there. and there is a big piece of metal to which the trim piece is connected to. i just drilled, sanded and then used a machine screw to secure the ground.
    hey pinoy...i got a question...related somewhat to this...in my HU...everything works fine...one thing about it...i notice the ground in the HU isn't even hooked up. but it works...is this possible? or is mine different?

ok lets see if i can do a diagram
    _______
    | |
    |Battery |
    | |
    |_______|
    |
    + -
    4 ga
    power
    wire
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    + positive terminal of amp
    _________ - negative terminal, 8 ga wire to bolt behind taillight
    |_amp ___|
    | |
    | |
    |_______________|

details.. hmm.. remote wire runs to HU.. head unit has a wiring harness for our car and all wires spliced into the harness except the orange one.. each sub is wired to 2 ohms.. i had to change the fuse on the HU as soon as i got it, its a much bigger one now, the fuse that is on the remote wire from the unit to the amp, its a lightning audio one that looks like this

cant think of anything else..

Quote Originally Posted by o1naturalhigh
    hey pinoy...i got a question...related somewhat to this...in my HU...everything works fine...one thing about it...i notice the ground in the HU isn't even hooked up. but it works...is this possible? or is mine different?
    are you sure your head unit is grounded?

think about this.

so your chassis is ground.

the case of your head unit is ground in most cases.

you use the metal brackets to connect the head unit to some piece of metal that is connected to the ground.

so your head unit is grounded still

for Serstylz2, if you remove the remote wire on your amp, does it still stay powered up??

and why isn't your power line from your battery fused??

i guess u know this serstylz...
    but something is draining your battery....maybe the HU or AMP from always being on...like i said...hook it up to the ignition...so it only turns on when u turn on the car...about the fuse always blowing...it seems to me that there is a short somewhere...maybe loose wiring. i'd go with what pinoyesv6 says and rewire the whole thing again...making sure everything is tight and snug. and yeah...the amp always being on and hooked up to the HU is something to do with what the remote wire...
    but then again...maybe i am wrong. i'm not skilled in electronics...not even the basics...i do know a little...but, unfortunately not enough...so, if u go with what i say, and fucks up even more, i'm sorry.

and pinoy...i'm sure the ground wire isn't hooked up...when i noticed this...i taped it up to see if my deck would still work, and it did. i even hooked up the ground wire after that, and it made no difference. so, i just left it off and taped up.

my head unit is grounded to a bolt behind there like u said, but theres no metal brackets holding it up, i use the dash trim piece to hold it. And what do you mean about my power line from my battery? I run the 4 gauge power wire from my battery directly thru my car to my amp. and the amp is grounded to the taillight bolt. I havent checked if taking the remote wire keeps it on, all I know is I pulled the 4 gauge power wire out after i noticed the amp was on when i turned the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    my head unit is grounded to a bolt behind there like u said, but theres no metal brackets holding it up, i use the dash trim piece to hold it. And what do you mean about my power line from my battery? I run the 4 gauge power wire from my battery directly thru my car to my amp. and the amp is grounded to the taillight bolt. I havent checked if taking the remote wire keeps it on, all I know is I pulled the 4 gauge power wire out after i noticed the amp was on when i turned the car.
    it does matter what the remote wire is hooked up to. in a case...your HU can alwasy be on making your amp always on, causing you to drain your battery. that is why you want that wire hooked up to the ignition, so when you can turn on radio, your amp turns on...instead of it being always on.

and pinoy i havent forgot about the Eibachs, I jus broke my cell phone so i gotta buy a new one now :?

wouldnt my remote wire naturally be hooked to my ignition if i use an aftermarket wiring harness?

if hte remote wire is hooked up the the ignition then the amp should turn off an on with the car. if the remove wire is hooked up to the remote wire in the head unit, then the amp should turn off and on with the head unit.

thats why i said to disconnect the remote wire and see if the amp turns off. if the amp turns off, its something wrong with whatever the remote wire is hooked up to. if it does'nt turn off, then its the amp thats the problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast