The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: stock shocks vs kyb or tokico?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 55

stock shocks vs kyb or tokico?

hey i am in need to shocks.. but i wanted to know what is the difference between the shocks which the dealers usually put in vs the kyb or tokico..

BILLET
    the kyb gr2's are about 15% stiffer than stock oem but i would go with the agx's

If you get oem shocks, you can expect quality, and handling/ ride just like when the car was brand new( short of any deterioration in handleing caused by aging bushings) However, they are not designed for longevity, and come with the standard 1 year warranty. If the cars stock setup is not geared for performance, the stock shocks are going to be calibrated for a smooth ride. but not nessasarily a precise one.

When you upgrade to a superior aftermarket shock, you will gain a few things, and sacrifice a few as well. Pros: the ride is going to be so much more responsive. Lane changing at 90 mph is a snap. with very little dip. I litarly weave through traffic at awful speeds when i'm in a hurry, and am in complete control. I'd say when you throw in a set of performance shocks, it really wakes you up to what these galants are capable of. No lie. Other added benifits, are quicker stopping (realized by eliminating suspesion slop so the car doesn't nose dive when you stomp the brakes) And better traction( less wheel slippage because the struts help hold the rubber down) Kyb AGX are geat because they have better seals than factory struts, aiding longevity, and they have anti foaming check valves that keep the shock consistant during rigorous/ demanding driving. They also have a lifetime warranty.

of course when you upgrade to stiffer struts, to an extent; the ride is less forgiving. Which is the only real con. But to be honest, if you get agx adjustables, you can tune your ride for city driving, road trip cruises, or the track. Really, any downsides to an upgraded suspension don't matter to me, because the benifits, and pure driving experience by far outweighs any bads.
    I think i'd still upgrade my struts even if the downside was losing an inch off my penis. It would be worth it. (maybe...)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    DOHCSTUNR, you sound like u know what you are talking about. would i have all these new pros and cons if i just changed the struts and kept the factory springs?

the thing about shocks, is that they degrade so slowly and subtly, that if you drive the car every day fow a few years, your driving style works to compensate for the struts going bad. So you really don't feel the difference. But if you drive a brand new car, then go drive yours again, you will notice that it doesn't drive like it used too.

You want to test how bad your struts are, do this.
    go out to your car after driving it for 15 minutes or so, be sure to take turns so the suspension gets warmed up. park it. stand nextg to each wheel(one at a time) and push down on the car. try to make it bounce. if you can get it bouncing, odds are they are bad. check each wheels so you can know which ones are bad, or the worst. If you have more than 80,000 and you never replaced your struts. I'll give you some advice. They are bad. The stock shocks don't last that long, and most poeple never replace them.
    while you are on your drive, find a curvy road( not a treacherous one though) that you know well and are comforable with. Test your car by pushing it out of your comfort zone. Try not to take every tun perfect. Hesitate into a turn, then try to over compensate. If the car rolls to the outside wheels or dips, or if the car reacts in a way that just plain scares the hell out of you. Your shocks are bad.

my agx's, i cannot bounce the car, and i really have to put my wieght on it to get the suspespension to travel. And i can take turns so fast you'd think i had a death wish, but... I feel in complete control the whole time.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Like i was saying, the cons really aren't that bad, in fact, i let other people drive my car(rarely) and i've never heard one complaint. The agx's are so well tuned for the galant, the negative aspects are hardly noticable, and after a couple of days of driving, you will never want to go back.

If you want to maintain a great ride, but want better handling, keep your stock springs. Upgrade the struts.
    but if you want your car to perform and feel like a factory tuned sport sedan, ket kyb agx's and some eibach pro kit. You will not regret it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

if you get the springs, your car will have such a sexy, agressive look. And the ride will be great.
    The ride really only gets bumpy if you throw 18 or 19' on. Just because the tires don't ride as smooth, and theirs less air to dampen the road's imperfections. Just stick with the factory 16's or som 17's with good tires and you will have no complaints.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

the springs will get rid of that fenderwell gap that's making you galant look lifted.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    see, i wanna get better handling, but i dont wanna lower it....yet.... so i might consider some new shocks.

might be lil offtopic: are Falken 512's what you would consider "good" tires? i have 17's, 225/45

hey DOHCSTUNR thankc for the information .. man damm.. i have 60000 and i have not changed so acording to u i have to which i will.. my question is.. i have progress springs... lowered about 2 inch in the front. do u think i should leave the progress and chnage the shocks or should i get coilovers and get shocks.. i wanna lower it more but at the same time i wanna have a nice ride. so.. what do u suggest.. and by the way.. when i get the new shocks.. will it raise my car or what?..

neel,
    if you want to maintain a responsive, but smooth ride, keep the springs, upgrade the shocks. coilovers are way to stiff if you are concerned with comfort. A good set of coilovers would be great for handling, but they suck during winter driving with potholes and all the bumps. They made my back hurt when i drove on the highway with them.(i used to have dropzone, they sucked really bad.)
    Keep your springs, buy the struts.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

falkens are good tires, myself i prefer yokahama. they cost more, but they utilize some better technology, most designs are some of the quietest tires on the road, and they are so sticky.
    but generally, if you want to have a tire that keeps your ride smooth, you are going to want one with a reinforced sidewall, and a lower treadlife(usaully means the tire is made of softer rubbers) I like my treadwear around 320. they last long enough, but are sticky enough to satisfy my street driving needs.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i need to get some tires too .. i was thinking to get Yokohama AVS ES100 or Parada Spec-2 or Kumho ECSTA Supra 712.. these my options.. by the way.. hey DOHCSTUNR.. i have 17ins.. what size is perfect... i am just worried about raising my car and let my springs go waist(no point of lowering).. so..

brakes and suspension are key.

everything you do to your car is built on the foundation of a the suspension. If you make the car have 300 hp, but are riding an inch of the ground on blown shocks, with bouncy coilovers, your 300 horspower means shit.
    you won't be able to get the power to the ground, or stop fast enough, or a friggin part might break at the wrong time.
    Waste your money on colered bulbs, electric turbochargers, and penis pills if you want.
    but dear god please, keep the suspension quality. short cuts lead to long falls, trust me.
    if you can't buy the better suspension parts right out, work a little harder, wait a little longer, and do it right.

I think 10 out of 10 pros would agree with me.

Am i right? [/b]

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

there is a formula for keeping the right series on your tire for upgraded rims. hold on let me check.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

k.. but what tires do u think i should go for.. u have any place where can i get good deals?.. i will keep my springs but just get shocks.. kyb agx right?

if the circumference of your tire increases or decrease, it will chage the final gear ratio, and throw off your speedometer.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i'd recomend agx from my personel expierience, i am more than stisfied, but don't take my word for it, ask around. Kyb's may be better, but they do cost more.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i've heard good things about the parada, they come stock on the evo's but i think they would be overkill for the kind of horsepower you are going to be making. on your 17's if they are 7 inches wide, you'll want 215/45/17 tires.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ25...counttiredirect
    this seller has clearance prices. its all overstock from discounttire direct, it comes straight from them. they already have great prices, but if you find your sizes in here, you'll be in for a deal. i check this seller everyday, waiting for a deal on some rims.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast