The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: blow through mafs setup

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

blow through mafs setup

what is the map sensor used for in the ripp SDS kit i was looking through some pictures and i noticed it?i know it goes withthe box they have but why would you need the map and maf sensors. also i always heard the the MAFS in our car was very sensitive how is it that you can use the stock mafs in a blow through setup? will this work with both turbo and supercharger setups? the reason i ask is that i put together a custom turbo kit and im changing the intercooler piping so i was wondering if it would be possible to route my mafs inline with the piping. thanks for any help you can give i searched a few time for the info but didnt come up with anything then i went throught each and every page on ripps site looking for it so sorry if this has been discussed before
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

ken inn
    you would be WAY better off to just lose the mass air sensor. i was running a 2g mas(same as what you got) for years, it will flow 29% more air than the ole 1g, but recently i went to vpc. lemme tell you, the difference is HUGE. feels like i picked up 50 hp. midrange response is wicked fast now, and the motor revs so fast, it is easy to go past the 7k redline. the mas is a big restriction. you might look into the maf translator, too.

a 2g mafs on your 7g? are you sure the 2g and the 8th gen mafs are the same? this makes sense but how exactly does the maf translator work does it still work off air flow or is it for pressure systems. im a little confused.
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by underated
    a 2g mafs on your 7g? are you sure the 2g and the 8th gen mafs are the same? this makes sense but how exactly does the maf translator work does it still work off air flow or is it for pressure systems. im a little confused.
    i think he had it on his 6gvr4 (look at his sig).

you can't blow through a stock mass air. the sensor will be overun when it is reading compressed air, it will send airflow/karman signals to the ecu that are outside of the ecu's acceptable parameters and will cause immediate fuel cut.

your best bet is to extend the wires a little bit and use the stock 2nd gen style setup, or go ahead and skip a couple of steps and get the GM MAFT.
    either way you will run into airflow issues with the 2nd gen mass if you plan on running over 13psi on stock inectors. I don't know what gen you plan on boosting, but you will get much quicker throttle response from the gm maft.
    if you want to vent the BOV to the atmosphere without causing crappy over rich and stalling conditions, get the translator, otherwise keep everything as stock as possible when you start your kit, then get it running reliably, the try to tune it with upgrades.
    its better to get it running like a stock setup. you will be reliable, then after a few weeks of no problems on a stock setup, start tuning and bolting on.
    Truth: You will always be able to build a stronger platform on a solid foundation.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i would run a evo VIII mas if you can get one. it delivers a lower frequency to the ecu per tick. It will allow you to run bigger injectors with little or no fuel compensation to your stock ecu. Although i don't know what size to go with. I'll get back to you on that.
    its just like on a 6gen galant you gan upgrade to a 2nd gen eclipse mas and 550cc injectors with little or no compensation, and push back fuelcut for higher boost levels. princably because the 2nd gen mas flows better, and has a lower frequency than the 1st gen MAS

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

im already boosted im running asafc2 with a 14b turbo and 450cc injectors soon to be upgraded to an 18g this weekend. ive got an 8th gen 4g64 the reason i ask about the blow through setup is cuz ripp is using it with his SC kits and the stock mafs is good for up to 18psi but it also comes with the black/grey box and a map sensor so that might be why it works. i was reading about the maf translator fo dsm's but i dont want to spend 500 plus just to find out it doesnt work

ken inn
    Quote Originally Posted by underated
    im already boosted im running asafc2 with a 14b turbo and 450cc injectors soon to be upgraded to an 18g this weekend. ive got an 8th gen 4g64 the reason i ask about the blow through setup is cuz ripp is using it with his SC kits and the stock mafs is good for up to 18psi but it also comes with the black/grey box and a map sensor so that might be why it works. i was reading about the maf translator fo dsm's but i dont want to spend 500 plus just to find out it doesnt work
    map sensor probably means it is converted to speed density(NO mas). this is basically what vpc, gm maft, and a bunch of others do. for years i ran similar to what you got, the 2g mas(95-99 t/e/l), which i think is the same on your car. recently, jeff o(www.dsmchips.com) has converted to the 3g mas(2001-eclipse?) which is even larger. using the 2g mas, i ran 18 lbs boost on 560cc injectors, tuned with jeff o chip and afc. on 93 pump, 18 lbs is about the limit of the INJECTORS, not the mas. when i installed the evo 3 16g, i also went to 660's, still using the 2g mas, and it easily handled the boost, i even ran it at 23 lbs for a short while.

however, when i converted to vpc, the difference was huge. big increase from off idle, clear thru redline. removing the mas is such a big improvement, you should look into any system that will enable you to do it. fuel economy has actually improved. what is done is you use a gm hotwire maf, and put it in the intake, either before or after the turbo. attach a few wires from the translater to the maf, and some basic settings, and you are ready to fine tune. you will absolutely need some sort of logging device, so you can fine tune the gm maf. it is way better than the karman mas, and almost as good as vpc. you can probably get a basic setup for well under 300 bucks.

i don't think the vpc is compatible with 8th gen galants/3rd gen eclipses.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ive seen the gm maf and the translator for sale for 150 something for each piece. i really want to get rid of the maf but nobody has done it before on the galant i tried asking the same question on all the boards the deal with the 3g/8g and all you get are smartass remarks about why i shouldnt do it i think im gonna try it and see how it works if it doesnt work well with the stock one i'll upgrade to the GMmaf but i'll let you guys know this weekend how things turnout

i would highly reccomend trying the maft. Although i don't know if there is one configured for the 8th gen.
    If there isn't one for the 8th gen, its really no big deal. you'll just get the one for the 2nd gen. You will have to play with it a little. Of course there is built in fuel adjustents on it for low, mid, and high throttle. the differences between the 2nd gen and the 3rd gen mas are going to keep you from pluging it in and getting proper fuel enrichment from the get go. before you do it, count on getting a datalogger. if you don't have one yet you should really get one. Using the logger you will be able to moniter your airflow and knock. i would just configure the translator to run a near stock fuel map, then get a safc2 for your tuning.
    think about it.
    if you can only adjust fuel at 15% +/- dutycycle at each rpm; you will have to add 15% here and take 10 percent there, just to get it to run stock. but later when you start tuning for better airflow( bigger pipes more boost, bigger injectors, upgraded ignition) you will already be maxed out i some rpm ranges where you need to add more fuel, or vice versa(take it away)
    tune your maft to run stock(then leave it alone), then get an safc2 to do your true tuning.
    good luck man. i'm behind you 100% and if it doesn't work, sell it to me first.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

oops you already have an safc 2. thats even better. you'll be fine.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

get the translator, what do you have to lose.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo