The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Next step for handling?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 66

Next step for handling?

As I've mentioned before,I put on an intake & a strut brace in the short time I've had the '99.To improve handling & get the best results for the money,should I go with the AADCO sway bar thats just been offered,or go with lowering springs 1st?
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

i say lower it.. and than u might wanna think about getting the d3 stiffering kit.. i do not have it but i heard awsome things about it so.. will get it b summer.. it was like 250 shipped

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>i say lower it.. and than u might wanna think about getting the d3 stiffering kit.. i do not have it but i heard awsome things about it so.. will get it b summer.. it was like 250 shipped</div>That price doesnt sound bad at all.Anyone on the G.Center install one? I think it might be less expensive than springs?
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

ok springs will run about 200 and yes.. many people have the d3 stiffering kit or whatever they call it.. u can ask Danger_Danj and some other as they have it.. so... i say do springs and than the d3 kit.. i have progress so. i love it but i wanna lower it more so.. but drives nice.so..

TGC Regular
    yeh, i heard the best thing u can do to improve handling is new springs and shocks

Yeah,OK,I think just getting it lower will help quite a bit in cornering.Then the frame stiffening if needed,& when I've got the cash.Other than some leaning,getting it to take corners tight,I think this 99 GTZ I just got drives pretty nice.I've got a Magneflow muffler on my list right now,too,that I was going to stick on the end of my stock exhaust for now.A Dynomax catback will be coming sometime in the future

Definitely go with lowering springs before anything else suspension wise. Of course you should add to that some aftermarket shocks/struts as well. The D3 kit is a good upgrade, but I'd say you might be better off getting a thicker rear sway bar first. I would have done that first myself if there was one out that fit the Galant when I got the D3 kit.

i have a sway bar from megan racing.. what u mean by thicker? whioch is a good one?

if i were to do it again i would have just bought the TEIN SS-P from the beginning... of course it wasn't out yet, but that's how much better the car handles now!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maximus99)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah,OK,I think just getting it lower will help quite a bit in cornering.Then the frame stiffening if needed,& when I've got the cash.Other than some leaning,getting it to take corners tight,I think this 99 GTZ I just got drives pretty nice.I've got a Magneflow muffler on my list right now,too,that I was going to stick on the end of my stock exhaust for now.A Dynomax catback will be coming sometime in the future</div>

I have some Sprint lowering springs (1.8" drop) that will fit nicely on your car... $175 shipped

I'd say save $$$ and get the Tein SS-P. Not only will you have adjustability in being able to drop it up to 2.6 inches, you'll have control over the damping, which means you can adjust how stiff the ride is. It'll set you back a little coin, but in the long run would be worth it. A cheaper way to go would be the KYB AGX + springs.
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

doesn't that tein setup come with a pillowball uppermount?
    pillow ball mount is much more precise than bushing mount. will make a world of difference on wheel hop. Most pillow ball upper mounts also have built in camber plates.
    i'd be patient, save a little more money and go that route.

another major difference is the length of the rod on a true coilover setup. when you lower your stock struts or even kybs, you are limited on the amount of suspension travel your shock can survive because you are closer to bottoming out the strut, with every inch you lower it.
    but most true coilovers have shorter rods. so you will still have full suspension travel at lower ride hieghts, without the risk of bottoming out and blowing your seals.
    if you lower your ground control more than 1.75, you better ride at maximum dampening(stiffness) at all times to keep from bottoming out your struts(you are going to have to anyways to keep from bouncing). coilover system damage voids the lifetime warranty on kyb and koni. It says so right on the instructions.
    if you are serious about long term performance, and a quality, precice and fully adjustable ride, go with the teins.
    i believe you can also adjust the rebound rate to tune the bounce out.
    am i right?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

also, if you want your turns to be as responsive as a go-kart, get some better sway bars. it will eliminate every last bit of lean you car has after you lower it. It will aslo make your steering react instantly to your input. But i wouldn't recomend them to an unseasoned driver.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by neel9
    i have a sway bar from megan racing.. what u mean by thicker? whioch is a good one?
    Are you sure you are talking about a sway bar and not a strut bar or a tie bar. They are all different. I looked at Megan Racing's site and didn't see any sway bars. The only rear sway bar that I know of for sure that fits the Galant is the one from Addco which I test fitted. Click here for the tutorial that I did for it.

There is a rear sway bar from Suspension Techniques for the 3G Eclipse which can fit on the 8G Galant if you cut or bang flat the jack point on the spare tire well.

Then, there is a front and rear sway bar set from RMDSM that I wanted to get because many 3G Eclipse guys love it, but I figured it wouldn't fit either without modifying the jack point on the spare tire well, but I think it might actually fit. Right after I put on the Addco bar, I posted over at 2GStratus.org since they have the same problem with the jack point, but someone there said that the RMDSM rear bar fit fine. I wish I would have known that a long time ago because I would have tested those bars out. Click here for the RMDSM bars.

Both the Suspension Techniques and Addco rear sway bars are 22mm. The RMDSM set is 24mm in the rear and 17.5 mm in the front. Having a rear bar that is thicker helps reduce understeer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    if i were to do it again i would have just bought the TEIN SS-P from the beginning... of course it wasn't out yet, but that's how much better the car handles now!
    Yeah, for real. The best thing I ever did to my Galant.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    doesn't that tein setup come with a pillowball uppermount?
    Yup, myself, Cali and Reelax all have the SS-P setup which has the pillow ball upper mounts.

Here is my front:

Wheres the best site to find the Tien SS-P? Or the KYB AGX's? I really dont want to slam it down too far,but somewhere between an inch to 1.5 in. would be good? Like I said,I am not familiar with these cars yet,& dont really know whats out there for them,or the best quality equipment.I just dont want to jump into it,get something,then find out I shoulda went another direction.I just lowered my 79 vette about 1.5 inches,put in composite springs front a rear,& a lower shock mount spreader bar,poly bushings, 245-45-17" Kumho's on American Racing TT2's,wood console trim,etc

than just get springs as it not as low. but i do not know... may better to gtet if u want good handling... i geuss

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus99
    Wheres the best site to find the Tien SS-P? Or the KYB AGX's? I really dont want to slam it down too far,but somewhere between an inch to 1.5 in. would be good? Like I said,I am not familiar with these cars yet,& dont really know whats out there for them,or the best quality equipment.I just dont want to jump into it,get something,then find out I shoulda went another direction.I just lowered my 79 vette about 1.5 inches,put in composite springs front a rear,& a lower shock mount spreader bar,poly bushings, 245-45-17" Kumho's on American Racing TT2's,wood console trim,etc
    You can get the KYB AGX for 335 shiped from Jessica over at club3g. They have a group buy going on. I just ordered the Eibach Prokit and the KYB GR2 for $415 shipped. I should have them by this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by devgrp
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus99
    You can get the KYB AGX for 335 shiped from Jessica over at club3g. They have a group buy going on. I just ordered the Eibach Prokit and the KYB GR2 for $415 shipped. I should have them by this weekend.

hey are gr-2 any good.. cause i am thinking about getting them but every one is talking about agx. so.. let me know.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Get the Energy suspension bushings for the 3g Eclipse if they make them. You will notice a big improvement.
    7g for life!

hey ok.. what are bushing.. people have mentioned it bu no clue what it is... is it something which is locatd between the pillow mount and the shocks and spring or??... and when i get the shocks and springs or coilovers... do they come with it or rell them to put in some new ones?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast