The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Painting Rims

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    my wheels are black inside.. too dirty so i was liike F' it... too lazy to paint inside since its reallly dark to see the insdie on my car anywas.. but yeah outside only...
    Diego

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    so, shit, it appears that people are painting their rims in warm weather.. i planned on doing it in my unused basement w. the window open for ventilation, but its in the negative degrees here in Maine. Granted they have all winter to dry and whatnot, but do I still need the warm weather ?

Experienced TGC Member
    i used regular clear coat like the one you use on body, asked few people and they said its ok.
    4-5 coats

I painted these myself with a spraycan and a lot of time. I think I did the oppisite of what you want to do. you say you want to paint only the lip and the rivets. I really can't tell whats going on in your pictures,( It dosent look like you masked off anything it looks like blue paint instead of tape? sorry I'm a little confused.) but anyway if your rivets are plastic they should just pull out with the help of a pair of pliers and something soft to keep them from stripping. if they are metal they should screw out with a hex wrench. trust me if your going to paint the little bolts, go to the trouble of taking them out. it will look crappy if you don't . then mask everything with tape you dont want painted. and use paper or whatever you want to cover up the larger parts like the tire (if you keep it on). use very light sandpaper to get the paint to stick. if your lips have clearcoat the paint won't stick well. you have to take the clearcoat off. then you paint in very light coats till it looks good. then use clearcoat. I used specific wheel clear coat.
    I hope this helps. good luck. pm me if you have more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    so, shit, it appears that people are painting their rims in warm weather.. i planned on doing it in my unused basement w. the window open for ventilation, but its in the negative degrees here in Maine. Granted they have all winter to dry and whatnot, but do I still need the warm weather ?
    I'd wait for the warmer days. If the temperature is cold, some paints tend to wrinkle while drying. Also, if you spray it in warm, the spread will be more even. That's my experience at least.

holy old thread Batman! :smt027 I almost believed Pedro was gonna paint his new rims gold

damn what happened to all the old parts of this post that had a link to the kind of paint Allan recommended????

if you find anyone that used HWP105 bronze wheel paint post pics, I'm debating whether to use bronze or Graphite now to do my wheels

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    if you find anyone that used HWP105 bronze wheel paint post pics, I'm debating whether to use bronze or Graphite now to do my wheels
    Found one wrx fourms sliver adr's painted bronze
    how about bronze wheels on sliver car? does that look gay
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52575

thats gold-chrome paint, im lookin for this bronze

edit: i think it'd look like this, not bad

Experienced TGC Member
    just paint them and see i think the bronze or gold looks good on black galant.

yea and if i dont like the bronze i can jus go over em w. graphite so.. i got a winter project, cool

even though it says I should paint when its 55 degrees out.. oh well... one coat a day should dry alright

this is my spare tire painted in that duplicolor bronze

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

oh look at that... black on bronze... PM sent

my paint is here, gonna be doin this soon

what happens when you have the tires changed since the outter part is painted too? thats the only thing that has kept me from painting my old set of rims
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12