The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g V6 has a little problem after installing SAFCII

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

8g V6 has a little problem after installing SAFCII

I am posting this for a new buddy of mine that I just met recently through my close friend. He owns are 2001 Galant V6. He has Injen Cold air intake and a cat back exhaust. He got his SAFC installed by a shop by a person that is reputable in installing SAFC's...just not too many installs on Mitsu's, even less on Galants for that matter. Well...ALL SAFC settings are set a zero and everything seems to be reading correctly except for sensor one when I did a sensor check on the SAFC..it was reading pretty low. I checked cylinder settins, sensor type, etc etc...right now literally the SAFC is just there giving readings. The car ran perfect prior installation of the SAFC...but the car is definitely running rich. He filled up in the morning FULL tank and not even half the day and not driving more than 40 miles, the car is already almost half tank. The other thing is that the car runs fine for awhile but after awhile the Karmans drop and the car almost stalls most of the time correcting itself and idling perfect again, BUT at times just stalling out. I am not familiar with this problem since I never experienced it or ran into it before and I of course I don't own a V6 8g. Any of you guys/gals experience this similar problem? If so...got any advice or solutions that I can relay to my buddy. Worst case scenerio is to start from scratch.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

initialize the unit,(to reset to defaults) then do the setup again. see if that changes anything. Take a look at the wiring and see whet kind of splicing job they did. Did they use vampire slices or did they solder? In the manual it strongly suggests against usign splices as they can degrade the signal quality. Check their work while your in there, did they tap the correct wires. Did you do the blue wire mod? i would recomend against it, it can screw up your o2 signal. check to make sure the ground wire taps are in the proper order. check the TPS voltage to see where its at. should be less than 1 volt at idle.
    check for gas fouled plugs too.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Also check and see what wire they tapped for the rpm signal. The V6 doesn't have a true rpm signal coming into the ecu. Most shops will tap the crank position sensor for the rpm. This is OK, but the signal is higher than 1-2 volts which could screw up the AFC. Go to 3G forums and look up the Satchmo fix. I had to put that in when I put in my AFC and before I did I had basically the same symptoms as your friend.

Also check with VegasMatt. I believe he's running the Satchmo on his AFC as well.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'>initialize the unit,(to reset to defaults) then do the setup again. Â*see if that changes anything. Â*Take a look at the wiring and see whet kind of splicing job they did. Â*Did they use vampire slices or did they solder? Â*In the manual it strongly suggests against usign splices as they can degrade the signal quality. Â*Check their work while your in there, did they tap the correct wires. Â*Did you do the blue wire mod? Â*i would recomend against it, it can screw up your o2 signal. Â*check to make sure the ground wire taps are in the proper order. Â*check the TPS voltage to see where its at. Â*should be less than 1 volt at idle.
    check for gas fouled plugs Â*too.</div>

All wires were soldered...no spliced wires at all. I didn't check the install because I only got the see the car at night but from the look of the everything the SAFC was working correctly. I did initialize the SAFC once and the problem continued. No blue wire mod was done either. There was a RPM signal problem but the guy fixed that issue using some type of resistor if I was explained correctly...but either or, the RPM readings on the SAFC matched the Galants tach readings so that wasn't a issue. I will tell him to check out the 3g forums again, I recommended him to since the 8g V6's are similar to the 3g Eclipse setups. Thanks.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I have done this on my car which is an I4 and it was all successfull. PM me with the numbers from the sensors you are getting when you are ideling and i'll compare them with mine. Besides that it is a simple thing to install allthough not to many think the same way do, so a technically / mechanically incline person should definatlly be able to do this. Another thing i can think of is that the safc is somehow damaged. Anyway goodluck!
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD